PDA

View Full Version : Lee on Solent

tmmorris
7th Oct 2004, 19:03
Is Lee on Solent available at all, or is it 100% closed? Does anyone have contact details if it is?

Tim

Genghis the Engineer
7th Oct 2004, 19:20
It is available, but you need an on-site sponsor, they don't accept "casual" visitors. Best thing to do is call Hampshire Police ASU, who manage the airfield, although I'm afraid I don't have the phone number to hand. You'll also need full crown indemnity aircraft insurance.

G

Monocock
7th Oct 2004, 20:22
You'll also need full crown indemnity aircraft insurance.

Of £7,500,000 :oh:

Whatever you do, don't prang whilst there..........:8

c-bert
8th Oct 2004, 06:55
I've taken off from Lee. Carill aviation at Southampton get all of their aircraft maintained there.

tmmorris
8th Oct 2004, 07:25
Thanks - I thought there was an ASU based there. Who actually owns the field, then? The aircraft I'd be taking is from an RAF flying club and in general we have a waiver on the insurance requirement as long as we have PPR - but I don't know if that's all MOD fields or just RAF.

It does occur to me though that both ways would need to be at night, and I guess there might not be lighting now?

Tim

Genghis the Engineer
8th Oct 2004, 07:34
The Queen owns the airfield, just like she always did. However, She has chosen to pass care and control of it from the Royal Navy to the Hampshire constabulary.

Presumably there will be some form of night lighting, since criminals tend to come out at night, and Hampshire police operate an Islander, not a helicopter. However, whether they'll let you use it, only the ASU can tell you.

G

c-bert
8th Oct 2004, 07:54
Trawling around the web I found the following PPR tel. 01705 551714.

Pompey doesn't use 01705 anymore so I'm not sure if it is still valid but try replacing 01705 with 023 92.

Furthermore I don't think the Islander is based at Lee. There is a fairly active gliding club there you could probably contact but I don't think there is any lighting.

boomerangben
8th Oct 2004, 08:56
there is a SAR helicopter based there too

valenii
8th Oct 2004, 11:02
I've been in there four or five times in the Cirrus.

Theres an amazing amount that goes on there, including a flying club etc.

I have familly on the perimeter fence.

You need a local on the airfield to visit, and thyen get PPR from the Police Unit. A guy called Bob Reprect (spelling) was the main man there (and flew the islander!)

I thought about using it as a base. for a months costs at a london airport you can get 6 months there!

I hope one day someone does the right thing and makes it a full GA center.

Ian
(drop me a private email via my web site if you want to know more)

tmmorris
8th Oct 2004, 15:14
Thanks all - I did manage to get hold of the ASU via the Hampshire Police Switchboard but this confirmed (a) limited lighting; (b) airfield closed at sunset, so no use for this particular trip - but happy to take visitors given certain conditions and suitable PPR.

Tim

Boing_737
8th Oct 2004, 18:48
AAAHHHH Lee on Solent - first term in SUAS spent there before they moved to Boscombe Down.

First camp spent there during the Christmas break, pelted down with rain all week, so we got trashed during happy hour(s) in the Officers Mess, only to awake on Friday a.m. to bright blue skies and a familiarisation flight with the Boss.... DOH!!!

Monocock
9th Oct 2004, 07:47
I have familly on the perimeter fence.

Err, they don't carry binoculars, notepads and tupperware sandwich boxes do they........?!:8

;)