PDA

View Full Version : Headset together with glasses

Krallu
7th Oct 2004, 06:17
Hello all!

How do you people do when using glasses/sunglasses together with your aircarfts headset. I found it difficult because it seems to stop the headset from pushing as it should on the head. And I'm afraid of hearing problems when the headset isn't in place correctly.

Are there any headsets designed for use with glasses or is there something that I don't know?

Thanks!

slim_slag
7th Oct 2004, 09:26
Have you tried those silicon gel seals?

Cabotage Kid
7th Oct 2004, 09:54
I have some Oakley blade glasses that I use with my DC 13.4s. Although the blades have a rather fat ear band (can't think what to call it, but you know what I mean), the band it self is reasonably flush fitting to my head and the gel of the headset making it very good. However if I use those glasses with a foam headset ear piece the noise is dreadful.

dublinpilot
7th Oct 2004, 10:07
I had noticed that I got better ANR when not using my sunglasses, and realised this was due to the gap they were causing.

I bought a pair of those "stop gap" that are shown in the catelogues under David Clark Accoessories, and they helped a lot. Basically they are a small piece of foam, with a hole through the middle, which the stem from your glasses fit through. It then sits nicely between your head and the ear seal, and blocks the gap. Has made a big difference, but you do look a bit of a prat once you take the headset off!

Sorry, can't find a link to an online site. If you can't figure out what I'm talking about, I'll take a photo and put it up.

dp

silverknapper
7th Oct 2004, 10:32
Try here (http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=1133)

I used to have peltors and suffered a bit with them, now have 13.4s with oakley e wires and not bad at all. Reckon it's just the gel seal that makes the difference.

Krallu
7th Oct 2004, 11:04
Hmm, Silicon gel seals. Is it something you can buy to your peltor headset or is it just some headsets that does have this feature?

Cabotage Kid
7th Oct 2004, 11:31
DCs come with the gel earpiece padding as standard with some foam ones as spares or replacements.

dublinpilot
7th Oct 2004, 11:57
Gel earseals may help, but I don't think they are the complete answer. My Dc's 20-10xl have gel ear seals, and I still had a leak, which the stop gaps sorted out.

It's a lot to do with the flexibility of the steams of your glasses.

dp

Krallu
7th Oct 2004, 12:04
Oh I see.

So you maybe need both stop plugs and gel ear seals, and you need to get glasses that have very thin. These 3 things feels like it will solve it.

Is there anyone who have tried to put the glasses over the headset? Is that possible?

Is this so difficult to solve that noone have sorted these problems out? Can't you make some sort of special glasses where you put them over the headsets or some other way so the lenses are correctyl positioned but you don't need to put the glasses inside the headset??

:confused:

silverknapper
7th Oct 2004, 12:05
try a monocle!!!!

Penguina
7th Oct 2004, 12:08
Anyone else ever get headaches as a result of flying for long periods with the pressure of headsets and glasses digging in?

I'm not ruling out other causes of midair headache here, mind! :O

ThePirateKing
7th Oct 2004, 12:09
Or a pair of glasses like Morpheus wears in The Matrix... :E

TPK:ok:

JazzyKex
7th Oct 2004, 21:03
If you can get some glasses with 'bayonet' arms half the battle is won. With something like the flat bayonet arms of Randolph Engineering specs and gel ear seals available for DC's, very little ambient noise gets through.

justinmg
7th Oct 2004, 21:19
I have a pair of these. When using gel earseals, there is absolutely no difference to sound transmission compared with using contacts / no glasses.

http://www.silhouette.com/en/products/highlights/classic_visions/models/00351/index.asp

Whilst not cheap, they are the most comfortable glasses I have ever had. There are lots of shape and style variants, and you can get a discrete sunglasses clip ( I have not used it flying yet).

Even worth buying if a non-aviator.

J

Whirlybird
8th Oct 2004, 14:05
Go to a good optician, preferably one used to dealing with pilots, and explain the problem. If your glasses have thin enough and flexible enough arms, you should be fine. Penguina, two of us with glasses have done three Dawn to Dusks and a week of flying in Europe, so finding the right glasses should sort out your headaches too.

flyingfemme
10th Oct 2004, 15:49
Anyone else ever get headaches as a result of flying for long periods with the pressure of headsets and glasses digging in?

Silhouette Titans - thin, bendy titanium arms and the lightest sunglasses I've ever had. They are so good that I rarely wear anything else. They are only available from opticians and can be tailored to you personally. Fab.:cool:

Gertrude the Wombat
10th Oct 2004, 16:00
Go to a good optician, preferably one used to dealing with pilots, and explain the problem. What is the problem? I wear glasses and I wear headsets - what difficulty should I have noticed?

pbloore
11th Oct 2004, 11:28
I found that the DC range of headsets gave me a headache after about an hour, and put this down to a mixture of the clamping force and the fact that I wear glasses. I ended up with a Peltor headset which has given me over ten years of excellent service and although not as good at noise attenuation was much more comfortable. Earlier this year I took the plunge and bought Bose headsets for my partner and myself. These were very expensive, but are superbly comfortable with excellent noise suppression and much improved RT clarity. I've worn these for several hours of flying at a time without noticing any fatigue problems. The only problem is remembering to have a spare battery with you because the passive attenuation is quite poor.

S-Works
11th Oct 2004, 11:43
Maui Jim sunglasses and of course the Bose-X headsets. Flown several hours at a time with this combination without problems. Bose have such minimal clamping pressure you hardly know they are there.

It is a real come down when I have to borrow headsets!