PDA

View Full Version : Logging of (H) hours

JeroenC
4th Oct 2004, 13:34
Hello all,

okay, we're talking 1 lousy hour here, but if you're proud you're proud!

I have a PPL(A), but also 1 Helicopter hour. Can I log this under my TT and Dual?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

JC

Whirlybird
4th Oct 2004, 14:58
Basically, yes, you can log it as usual.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Oct 2004, 15:10
But probably best to use a separate column.

G

Floppy Link
4th Oct 2004, 16:58
I use different colours -

Black for fixed wing
Blue for helicopter

And then separate column totals at the bottom of the page, with a grand total (A) +(H) as well.

and there is far too much black ink!

Russell

(your hour(H) won't count towards the 12 required for the SEP renewal, if you are renewing by experience)

MLS-12D
4th Oct 2004, 20:17
I also use different colours:

(1) black for day flying
(2) red for night flying.

I briefly considered using blue for seaplane time, but that seemed like it would make my logbook a bit too 'busy'.

DubTrub
4th Oct 2004, 22:47
Green for strip flying?

muffin
5th Oct 2004, 06:56
The only problem with putting it all in one log book is that if you do eventually decide to go the whole way and get a PPL(H) it is tidier and easier to send a separate H log book off to the CAA without having to unscramble the H hours out of it.

Why stop at one hour - go for it. I did my first rotary hour 25 years ago and then waited 20 years to finish the course. Looking back I really wish I had completed it then.

Good luck!

Genghis the Engineer
5th Oct 2004, 07:33
My few helicopter hours were all logged as flight test observer (well apart from those few minutes on the end of a bit of string under an S61 :eek:, I didn't think those were loggable since I wasn't handling any controls ).

Very early in life I had the sense to buy a commercial logbook. As I flew different types, I started with colour coding but it became a pain, so now I make up stickers on my PC and changed the column headings.

So, the headings of my (modified!) Pooleys commercial logbook (from the left are)...

(1) Microlight 3-axis, dual
(2) ditto, P1
(3) Microlight weightshift, dual
(4) ditto, P1
(5) Light Single, Dual
(6) Ditto, P1
(7) Motorglider, dual
(8) Ditto, P1
(9) glider, dual
(10) ditto, P1 [Not including engine failures!)
(11) Night
(12) IFR
(13) Flight Test Observer
(14) Spare (but used to be ejection seat flying)

CAA have seen my logbook a few times without raising their eyebrows at the method, and it's neat and easy to understand. Every few years the pattern of my flying changes, so I simply do an overall summary, and tweak the headings slightly with a clear note at the top of the page that I've done so.

As an approach it works quite well, and most logbooks can be adapted in a similar way. Pritt stick seems to be the best glue for attaching the stickers and use the thinnest bright inkjet paper you can get.

If anybody wants a copy of my Word document for sticking over the existing headings, please just ask (but you'd best Email not PM, or I won't have your Email address to reply to).

G

JeroenC
5th Oct 2004, 10:14
Thanks for all your replies!

I'll just log it under total, by the time I can afford a full (H) course, I will be needing a new logbook anyway!