PDA

View Full Version : Where should I go?

El Quiso Grande
4th Oct 2004, 12:21
I hope I have posted this on the right forum but I'm not 100 per cent sure.

I have been taking flying lessons in another part of the country and as I have now been relocated with my work, I have found myself in a totally new part of the country with no experience of the schools available to me in the area.

I now live in South Yorkshire, a couple of miles to the east of Doncaster and was wondering if anyone could reccommend where I should go to continue my flying lessons. I don't really want to travel more than an hour, less if possible, to my destination.

I can see that there would be an advantage of going to an ATC controlled airport but am open to any suggestions.

Any help would be appreciated.

(have looked in the where to fly guides but they don't really tell you where would be best for you)

stiknruda
4th Oct 2004, 13:47
Big Cheese,

Although I've never been a stude there, I would recommend tracking down Cas Smith at Full Sutton. I believe him to be one of the best instructors around.

http://aerobaticas.co.uk/

Stik

4Jimbo
4th Oct 2004, 16:17
How about just up the A1 to Sherburn Aero Club - www.sherburn-aero-club.org.uk

I've just finished my PPL there, and they're a really friendly bunch. It's also got some of the cheapest hire rates £97/hr dual in a PA-28

big.al
4th Oct 2004, 16:20
Sheffield Aero Club or Pheonix Flying School, located at Netherthorpe, wouldn't be too far for you to travel (nip down the A1 to the A57 junction, head towards Worksop and take a left signposted to Thorpe Salvin). Great little airfield, very short runways. If you can land there, you should be able to almost anywhere.

Pheonix offer very cheap rates in their C150s. I had a few 'lessons' with them post-PPL when returning from the intensive course in the US.

Alternatively there are flying schools at Gamston, just a bit further down the A1 (but probably just as close to Doncaster as Netherthorpe). Both of these fields are A/G rather than full ATC.

I wonder if any flying schools will set up at Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield Airport (aka Finningley) when it opens next spring..? That would be right on your doorstep!

NinjaBill
4th Oct 2004, 21:56
Full Sutton may not be the closest flying school to you, but I would have to agree with Stik that Cas is an excellent instructor, and well worth the extra distance you need to travel to get there.

NB

El Quiso Grande
5th Oct 2004, 10:49
Thanks for the replies so far will give them a try...

Has anyone got any experiences of any of the schools at Humberside? Have heard that there are a couple there, Solo?something and one or two with Humber in their title... anyone got any knowledge of them?

Heard through the rumour network that one of them was either closing or being sold. Dont want to risk losing all if they close and do a moonlight flit!!

Any responces would be appreciative. PM me if you wish...

EQG:ok:

squawking 7700
5th Oct 2004, 12:24
Definitely Phoenix Flying School at Netherthorpe, friendly bunch,
the lowest rates in the country and from my experience, the
best instructors (and I fly with or have flown at a number of clubs up and down the country).

No membership charges.

4 x C150's and a 150hp Beagle Pup.

Great.

A and C
6th Oct 2004, 17:40
I have only visited the airfield but Sandtoft seems a nice enough place to fly.

MikeeB
7th Oct 2004, 16:39
If you fancy doing Aero's after you get your licence, then I'd deffo consider going to Full Sutton.

Hotel Uniform Yankee
13th Oct 2004, 06:43
At Humberside Airport there are several flying clubs:-

Humber Flying Club
Solo
Humber Flight Training
Frank Morgan Flying Club
I think the rumours you have heard about one closing or being sold would have been about Solo.

The cheapest of them is Humber Flying Club and appears to be the only one open 7 days a week. Plus it is the only one which is CAA Approved for Commercial Flying. Why not visit them all with an open mind.

Humberella
16th Oct 2004, 20:36
HUY
I have posted a similar thread to this and too heard that Soloflight is in trouble.

I was going to go visit them this coming week at the same time as the other clubs but wasn't sure if I would be given genuine answers to my many questions or be led up the garden path.

Pm me if you wish if you can give me any more info that you don't want to post on here.

Thanks......

camaro
17th Oct 2004, 07:50
EQG

If you would like to have a look around at Netherthorpe I will gladly show you around and introduce you to the guys/galls at both Sheffield Aero Club and Phoenix Flying School.

As others have said, we are a friendly bunch (a bit loony sometimes:D ) and both schools are among the cheapest around. Aircraft available to hire/learn on are C150's, C152's, C172, PA28, Slingsby T67 Firefly and Beagle Pup.

PM me to arrange a mutually convenient time if you're interested.

Camaro:ok: