PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training Abroad

ENJE
3rd Oct 2004, 21:36
I have taken a couple of months off work for the sole purpose of training towards a PPL. Over the last four weeks I have managed to complete about 10 hours of training in the UK, mainly constrained by instructor availability and weather. I am considering on going to Spain or somewhere in Europe to continue with the training so that I am not grounded for much of my time off due to weather. I'm keen to do as much as possible in the remaining four weeks off that I have left. Can anyone recommend a school and explain any of the pitfalls with gaining a JAR PPL abroad. Thanks.

Evil J
3rd Oct 2004, 23:04
I'm not sure why you want to go abraod. If its because its cheaper fair enough. But it can be done quickly in the UK if you ge the right team together and ahve the right approach.

My brother did the full JAR PPL (OK he had 5 hours logged when he started but you say you have 10) in 12 days at Inverness in Sept 2002 (mad-jock will back this up) -no thats not a typo, 12 days in a Scottish Autumn. Its extremely hard work but you fly 3 times a day (in fact he flew with me (hour building) between lessons so he was probably flying at least 5 times a day) and you must have all the ground exams out of the way to allow you to concentrate on the flying but it is do-able.

I suggest you find an instructor who can be exclusively yours all day for however long and get on with it-the weather shouldn't be too much of a problem. Certainly in Scotland the weather changes so quickly that part of every day is usually flyable in some capacity.

Hope that helps. By comparison my PPL took a lengthy 3 weeks one sunny august in Kent ten years ago!!

ENJE
4th Oct 2004, 06:58
Evil J,
Thanks for your reply. One problem I have at my school, is that there are mostly part time instructors, so unless you have multiple instructors, it would be tricky to get one full time. My favoured instructor only does 2 days a week, so this is another issue I shall need to get sorted out. Any ideas on how much time you need to set aside these days to get all the ground school out of the way?

Sensible
4th Oct 2004, 07:34
To be absolutely brutal, you haven't got a cats chance in hell of doing a PPL in this country within the next five weeks at this time of year (you say four weeks of your two months are lost already) unless you sit at the airport all day praying for flyable weather, have an instructor on call and have aircraft availability to boot. The quick and sure fire way of getting a PPL quickly is to go to one of the Florida speciality schools. I bet if you phoned one today, you could be back home in four weeks waiting for your PPL to drop onto the mat as well as saved a tidy wad of cash in the bargain.

Lance Murdoch
4th Oct 2004, 17:29
Afraid Id have to echo the sentiments of others on here ENJE. Going abroad to do a PPL is, from my experience, is a false economy. It does take time to get used to UK conditions which are very different from North America. The US may be a non starter because I think it takes some time to get a visa.
Unless you strike lucky with the weather, I think it is unlikely that you will have enough flying time in the UK left before the onset of winter weather.
My suggestion to you would be to wait until Feb/ March when the weather starts to improve and then do the PPL at the weekends. I know this is all very frustrating and not exactly what you wanted to hear but before learning to fly try and plan things out as much as possible. You will save yourself a small fortune.

Sensible
4th Oct 2004, 18:51
oops, forgot about the visa requirements handicap. The USA is still your best bet though! Laws of aerodynamics are the same in the US as here and differences aren't that much of a big deal, certainly nothing that you couldn't overcome with that wadge of cash that you would still have in your pocket.

ENJE
4th Oct 2004, 20:01
Thanks Sensible, Lance for your advice. Would going off to Spain or somewhere like Cyprus be a sensible option for the improved weather as an alternative to the US? This would overcome any visa issues.

scubawasp
5th Oct 2004, 07:47
ENJE

Check your PMs!

Prophead
6th Oct 2004, 21:31
Im in exactly the same situation and would like to hear any replies either by PM or on forum.

I was thinking of going to spain as well.

silverknapper
6th Oct 2004, 22:52
Forget the states!! IMHO it's not worth the hassle. Why?:
1. Find a reputable school - there are a few dodgy ones.
2. Make sure it's still in one piece. Unfortunately a few were damaged in the recent bad weather.
3. Get an appointment at the US embassy.
4. Travel there, queue for ages then hand over cash for the 'honour'of entering their country to give them even more cash.
5. Fly there for~£400.
6. Finally start PPL and drink some beer at night - best bit.
7. Complete, fly home.
8. Pay for four or five dual hours familiarising with R/T and airspace here.
9. Get a fright when you see a cloud or rain shower.

From experience it ain't always cheaper abroad, indeed it very rarely is. I believe evil speaks the truth. With 35 left to do do it here. Living in the Highlands there is a lot of flying going on now. I would wager if you arrived at Inverness tomorrow you would be done in three weeks max. And you would have the same F/T instructor throughout.
Make it easy on yourself and get into the books now. I often see guys who are held back by not having the exams done as they are getting through the flying at such a pace.

Heliport
7th Oct 2004, 05:38
There are have been lots of threads over the years about training in America.

It's curious how people who say it's a bad idea/false economy etc never seem to have done it - whereas people who have, and so can speak from personal experience, usually recommend it. ;)

Airbus Girl
7th Oct 2004, 07:49
Heliport, hear hear.

I agree that if it is possible to get your US visa pronto, then you will have no probs getting your PPL done. If you've already started you could get it done in about 2-3 weeks in the US.

Funnily enough, whenever I flew in Florida I saw loads of REALLY BIG clouds!!! Many times flying had to stop whilst it chucked it down. I learnt lots about staying clear of storms and looking ahead for weather. So much easier in the UK once you've had those experiences.

Alternatively, fly in California. The ATC conditions, well, you have a choice - either really quiet or really, really busy (like in Europe).

When I got back I did a standard one hour check out at my local flying club and they were more than happy for me to hire aircraft from them after this local familiarisation (which you'd need at any new flying club anyway).

Flights to the US are dirt cheap at the moment. Whatever you have budgeted for your PPL you will not go over this budget, even including flight and accommodation costs, if you went to the US. PM me if you need any recommendations for schools.

Spain and Cyprus are also options this time of year. Flights no problem. Loads of low cost and charter flights around in this, the "low" season.

Main recommendation - get hold of a copy of Flyer or Pilot magazine, and ring up those schools in ads in the back. Check out their websites first. Explain your predicament to them and ask if they can guarantee to give you the requred hours/ instruction/ exams in the required time.

If you are prepared to go for this "full time" then you'll be fine. You can spend time between flights studying for the exercise and for the ground exams.

Go for it, but don't hang about!!!

And please ignore all these doubters who says Europe/US are rubbish!!!!!!

I started in the US, then flew a bit in the UK and Europe and now fly for a living, so I know what I am talking about!

Kolibear
7th Oct 2004, 08:44
ENJE, getting your license, either in the UK or abroad, isn't the problem.

Its keeping it after you have it thats the problem.

silverknapper
7th Oct 2004, 10:40
Heliport

Maybe they are trying to justify it. I've done it and can honestly say would have been better doing it here.
AG
My point was it will take weeks to get a visa. ENJE is already off work. And advertising in flyer is no guarantee of a schools' reputation.
Agree about Cyprus though - apparently a JAA school in Paphos. Nice time of year to be there.

SK

ENJE
7th Oct 2004, 16:26
Thanks guys and girl for your sound arguments. It looks like there are pro and cons for flying abroad. After looking at your coments it looks like it would be all good flying experience wherever it is done, subject to making sure the quality of instruction is good and that you can get into the country easily enough (US)! I think the US would would be a non-starter at this late notice.

I have been pretty lucky this week with the weather, apart from yesterday when it was too windy for circuits. To be honest, after doing a bit of training now, I'm not sure how some people manage to do the course intensively. At the moment I am finding that an hours instruction feels like a full days work! I have tried doing another hour in the afternoon and am finding that I am losing concentration quickly in the second session. Is this normal or is it just me? I'm thinking of limiting the sessions to an hour a day at the moment, as I'm finding this the most productive at present. I would welcome your thoughts on this.

Prophead, how long have you taken off work? I would be interested in how you are getting on. What have you planned?

silverknapper
7th Oct 2004, 16:36
It's all down to the individual - go with what feels best for you. At the start it is intensive. I would imagine you're in the circuit at the mo which is tiring. Go at your own pace - once you're on navs you'll be a bit more relaxed and may feel able to do more. And if you haven't done so learn the airborne checks inside out. It will relieve your workload, especially in the circuit.

All the best

SK