PDA

View Full Version : Head set Recommendations anyone??

Sunfish
3rd Oct 2004, 02:39
Can anyone recommend a good make and model of headset? I think its about time I bought my own.

ANR sounds ike a good idea as well.

Monocock
3rd Oct 2004, 07:15
I think you'll find any headset from a reputable manufacturer is very good these days.

One thing you must bear in mind is their compatibility with your instructor/co-pilots/passengers.

ANR is good. The level of extra expense has kept me from buying them so far. I prefer to buy the most comforatble pair so I don't get a sore bone peak on long flights!

David Clarkes are as good as any. The best I ever had though were Flightcom ones that I stupidly threw in with the sale of an a/c once and have regretted it ever since. They were SO comfortable and looked great.'

www.flightcom.net

LondonJ
3rd Oct 2004, 08:03
Check out headsetservices.com (based in Shoreham), they have a good selection and are very efficient. My David Clarke's were playing up a bit last week, so I sent them in and they were back as if new within a week. And it was free on warranty :D

BTW I recommend the David Clarke 13.4's, about £200 if I remember correctly. Extremely light and comfortable.

TheOddOne
3rd Oct 2004, 09:40
I bought my Peltor headset from Transair when they were in Staines (20+ years ago??) They fold away in the bag, I can wear them for hours without undue strain. I find David Clarks unbearably vice-like and rather heavy. I'm told the electrics on the older Peltors like mine are a bit crude but they've updated them. That said, I've never had compatability problems with other makes of headset in a variety of aircraft.

I recently thought I'd treat myself to a new headset as the earpads had become flattened over the years and were no longer comfortable. Transair sold me a new pair of earpads for about 9 quid - seconds to fit and just like new!

The Odd One

S-Works
3rd Oct 2004, 10:45
there is only one choice........ BOSE-X!!!!

BEagle
3rd Oct 2004, 11:45
Each time this question comes up, I say the same thing:

DAVID CLARK 13.4!!

I've had the same pair for over 10 years and the only maintenance they've ever had is a quick wipe of the plugs now and again plus a new mic sock..... Otherwise they've had no special treatment and have stood up to everything.

I understand that Pink Headsets are quite neat as well, eh Mono'.........?
:E

Evil J
3rd Oct 2004, 14:06
If you like DC's but don't want to pay that much I recommend Avcomm. I think they are kind of a Transair own brand but they are very high spec. I have had mine for over 10 years and they are still excellent-no problems, no pressure points, no mis-match problems; and all for 100 notes.

LowNSlow
4th Oct 2004, 04:25
Harry Mendholsson's (sp) own brand HM-40's. Compatible with everything, light, comfortable and reasonably priced. Mine have been used and abused for the last 10 years with no problems. I used DC's when I was learning to fly and found the vice like grip uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Sunfish
4th Oct 2004, 04:50
Gone for the DC's from American spruce(best price).

wbryce
4th Oct 2004, 08:33
DC 13.4's

they where recommended to me, the only set ive used, and can say im very impressed, maximum ive had them on has been 2hrs.

I used to use club headsets, and un-welcomed the head aches and sore ears they gave me after 1hrs flying.

ozplane
4th Oct 2004, 08:50
One level below the DCs price-wise but I've recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HME-100s. Very comfortable, the "Boss" thinks they're the best we've had and they come with a nifty headset bag. German made and they look as though they'll last. Definitely worth a try.

Johnm
4th Oct 2004, 10:47
I've got Sennheiser 100 too. The problem is they adjust with thin metal rod in plastic tube sliding into position and they now are worn and so don't sit right. Anybody know a solution to this??

Dan Winterland
4th Oct 2004, 10:51
I'm with the odd one about Peltors. By far the most comfortable headset I've ever used and they fold up on themselves taking up minimal storage space.

18greens
4th Oct 2004, 12:48
Also try the DC10-13.4x.(the ANR ones)

I tried a pair on a trial basis for 30 days but was not totally convinced about the ANR bit (all it seemed to do was remove a bit of low level thrum).

Anyway I was too lazy to take them back and change them for the 10-13.4 and have used them regularly for 3 months. Last week the battery went flat and I had to do a whole day with just passive attenuation. I had to turn the earphone cups from min to max volume to hear the ATC and intercom and that thrum was quite annoying by the end of the day. That was when I realised how much of a difference they made.

Its pricey but in 20 years time you will gladly pay £200 to get the hearing back you lost spending 1000 hours in spamcans.

Brooklands
4th Oct 2004, 13:03
If you've got a set of DC's or Peltors, you can buy a kit to convert them to ANR from Adams Aviation (http://www.adamsdirect.co.uk/proddetail.asp?group=Headsets%2DActive&modelno=ANR%20Kit%20Self%20Fit) . I did my Peltors a couple of years ago, and find they work very well. If you don't think you're up to taking your headset apart to fit the ANR kit then for an extra charge the suppliers will fit then kit for you.

Brooklands

IO540
4th Oct 2004, 18:22
Bose X are the best, no question.

Just don't lend them out to others because they aren't made to sit on or drive a car over :O

All other headsets are cheaper and not as good, comfort and performance wise, so it then becomes a personal tradeoff of acceptable performance versus one's budget, which is your decision alone.

The top D-C models have good PASSIVE attenuation but they do it with high earcup pressure which will give you a headache after a couple of hours. They also mess up womens' hair and that will seriously affect your flying :O

The only headset I would definitely avoid is the widely marketed Pilot range, especially the 17-79 model which I had for a year and found to be cr@p. I was able to prove that the ANR barely worked; the manufacturer agreed in writing, and they gave me a full refund (from the USA!).

Most headsets on the market have bogus attenuation performance quoted in adverts. Best thing is to go to a headset shop which has a ghetto blaster with aircraft noise (a gansta rap recording off Radio 1 would do) and try different models.