PDA

View Full Version : Another NERC delay imminent ???

Numpo-Nigit
17th Mar 2001, 19:27
Within the last few days, all those LATCC CSCs who have opted for departure under the Early Retirement scheme have been approached by management. The essence of the enquiry is to ascertain their views on a possible return to LATCC, on an individual contract basis, after their retirement to "help out".

The official line is that this has been decided as the best option to help reduce delays due to chronic staff shortages for summer 2001. This seems odd. It would surely be easier and more cost-effective to attempt to renegotiate the actual retirement date with individuals, perhaps agreeing to delay the date by a month or two, by mutual agreement.

A cynic might think the present course of action is more suited to the staffing needs of summer 2002 at LATCC, where there would (will?) be a significant shortfall of trained CSCs.

Could it be that an announcement of a NERC O-date delay until October 2002 is imminent?

Shazbat
17th Mar 2001, 21:46
I just HOPE that the majority involved know how to make the two-fingered sign ! :) :)

daft fader
17th Mar 2001, 22:59
Wow!

Curiouser and curiouser.

The plot thinnens.

no sig
17th Mar 2001, 23:13
Seems my fears for this summer are well founded. Following the airlines briefing at EuroControl last month, London clearly has a staff shortage problem based on the number of delays attributed and that the NERC training requirements certainly will make that worse.

In airline terms its a bit like, 'sorry we're not flying today due to a lack of pilots' not an acceptable option in the commercial world.

Please tell me I've got it wrong but reading between the lines of the recent NATS press release on NERC and the training requirements- it seemed to be saying 'expect more staff shortage delays through London this summer.

Numpo-Nigit
18th Mar 2001, 00:43
no sig

No, I'm afraid you haven't got the wrong impression. You can surely expect some drastic delays due to staff shortage at LATCC this summer (and spring, and autumn, and next winter too). Only a few days ago there were 1000 (yes, one thousand) minutes delay during an afternoon duty, directly attributable to one Chief Sector Controller reporting sick - these days there is no such person as a "spare". Things can only get worse as the cumulative effects of fatigue and poor morale start to really bite.