PDA

View Full Version : Control Tower btw Lancaster & Preston

Vee One...Rotate
30th Sep 2004, 17:54
Evening everybody,

I've just been emailed a quick question by my mum and thought I'd pass it on to you - I have a Southern England chart that stops just South of the area of interest you see :(

Apparently an airfield control tower is visible from the train between Lancaster and Preston. It is closer to Lancaster and is just South of the University (Lancaster) campus. My parents have just moved to the area and were curious as to which airfield it belonged to?

Anyone have an idea of which aerodrome this is likely to be?

Cheers for any info,

V1R :ok:

squibbler
30th Sep 2004, 18:03
Have seen said object many times. Don't know what it is for sure, but it's definately NOT a control tower!

Flap40
30th Sep 2004, 18:38
Forton services on the M6????

http://www.djclark.com/2000/days/forton/080.24.jpg

Vee One...Rotate
30th Sep 2004, 18:39
Oh I hope so...that'd be very amusing :D

I'll get mum to have a peak at that photo.

V1R

Thirty06
30th Sep 2004, 21:05
It's a distinct possibility.

From the train, you'd only see the top bit.

It's definitely control tower shaped. Wonder why they built it like that ?

Yankee two wun fower Delta Bravo Delta, you are clear to pass up the M6 not above 0ft reamin clear of coned roadspace.

squibbler
30th Sep 2004, 21:38
It probably is the old observation tower at Forton services, about 7 miles south of Lancaster.

It's no longer used and has fallen into considerable disrepair.

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/motorway/photos/m6/06.jpg

From a fast (ha!) moving train at a distance I guess it certainly could be believed to be a control tower.

Quite what the point of building an observation tower on a motorway service station was I'll never know :}

pilotwolf
30th Sep 2004, 22:24
Can't remember which services it is but many years ago one had a 'truckers cafe' in a tower like this... Its been at least 15 years since I was there... but still recall it serving proper food instead of the normal motorway crap.

PW

Kolibear
1st Oct 2004, 07:40
While you've all got your Northern England charts out, my road map shows an airfield just to the north of Formby, next to the A565, between Formby & Southport. Its not listed in my Flight Guide, and my southern England charts don't go that far north. Any one got a name for it and any details?

McFunkletrumpet
1st Oct 2004, 08:01
Yes, I'm looking at it right now. It's RAF Woodvale. A joint user field which houses the Grobs of Manchester UAS and Liverpool UAS. About a dozen private aircraft housed there in their OWN private hangar which they bought and built when the MOD one became derelict several years ago. The airfield is very well maintained indeed. I think it is in Pooleys. That help?

Squadgy
1st Oct 2004, 13:33
Here's a picture from the side of the train track looking towards Forton Services - you can just make out the observation tower :

http://www.twoof.freeserve.co.uk/81%20Galgate%20786Htxt.jpg

Vee One...Rotate
1st Oct 2004, 19:03
I've forwarded the link to this thread to mumsy - she's very appreciative of the feedback!

Cheers,

V1R :ok:

jayteeto
1st Oct 2004, 21:55
Woodvale...... you forgot us.... thats us in the shiney Eurocopter 135. You know, the local heros........ :p

McFunkletrumpet
2nd Oct 2004, 08:03
OOH yes ! Sorry plod. Can you come back quietly at night please or at least via Formby point from the sea. Ta.

Small Rodent Driver
2nd Oct 2004, 08:28
Ah yes. Woodvale. About 300 mtrs from my house. Very frustrating. Especially as I have to drive about 50 miles to extract the old Cub from hangar. Any leads for available hangarage there greatly appreciated.

SRD :sad: