PDA

View Full Version : Letter from one MP to another re NATS privatisation. Pls read and comment!

Secret Squirrel
17th Mar 2001, 04:17
This is the background:

A few months ago someone on this website posted a thread urging us all to write to our MP's re NATS privatisation. If you didn't now who your MP was then all you had to do was go to the House Of Commons website and find out. I did this and wrote to my MP. Fortunately, he took up my cause and wrote to Prescott because, like me, he didn't agree with privatisation either. This is the reply I got back:-

"Dear Paul, (Burstow)

Thank you for your letter of 24th January to John Prescott enclosing this correspondence from your constituent Mr Secret Squirrel of Sutton, regarding the private public partnership of NATS. As you will be aware, the transport bill has completed its parliamentary stages and received Royal Assent on 30 November 2000.

The government remains committed to setting up a public private partnership for NATS. This is in the best interests of air users, the UK and NATS itself. To begin with, we believe that the partnership will make a positive contribution to air safety. Firstly, by separating safety regulation from service provision – something that aviation professionals and airspace users have long urged. Secondly, by ensuring that NATS has access to investment capital outside the bounds of government financial controls. Indeed, if we do not secure substantial new investment for NATS, there would be a much greater risk of a trade off – not between safety and profit, but between safety and delays. The basis for that investment will be the centres at Swanwick and Prestwick, to which we have already committed significant funding, but additional investment of around £1.3 bn over the next ten years is needed to keep pace with traffic growth.

I would like to re-iterate that safety is, and always will be, the overriding priority of our policy. We are committed to maintaining – and improving wherever necessary – some of the most stringent aviation safety standards in the world.

There is no real parallel between Railtrack and the proposals for NATS under partnership in safety regulatory terms. When it was privatised, Railtrack took certain regulatory functions with it into the private sector. NATS will remain subject to regulation by the CAA Safety Regulation Group (SRG), which is highly regarded worldwide, as an effective and professional regulator. They have wide ranging powers to regulate aviation safety and have ample experience of regulating private sector bodies. The governments willingness to enhance the safety regulator’s powers if necessary, was explicitly stated in the consultation paper published in October 1998 and still stands, although the Group Director of SRG considers that his existing powers are adequate to regulate a private sector NATS.

The strategic partner in NATS will be carefully selected under a rigorous procedure to ensure that they are fit and proper to play a role in delivering air traffic control services and that they share our commitment to safety. The government will be looking for potential partners who are seeking the competitive position a stake in NATS will secure – with unique opportunities to expand into new markets – rather than the opportunity to make quick profits. The safety culture within NATS is very strong, and the government, the regulator and NATS together will ensure that this remains the case. There will be no question of putting profits before safety, and we have sought assurances from the CAA safety regulator that this is a robust view.

Ministers fully recognise that ATC is a strategic activity with implications for the national economy, national security and public safety. While we do not believe that this is incompatible with public sector status, it does mean that government – in addition to its shareholding – will need to retain certain powers over the public private partnership in order to discharge its own responsibilities. Wer therefore intend to take certain statutory powers and a special (‘golden’ ;) share that will enable public interest to be maintained while NATS otherwise enjoys commercial freedom. As part of the arrangements to maintain the public interest, the government will appoint two ‘Partnership Directors’ to the board, with explicit guidance as to their role in protecting the government’s interests as an investor. This effective government veto will cover decisions on the strategic and business plans, major investment and divestment proposals, dividend policy and the selling of shares by the strategic partner.

The government has carefully thought about the fundamental point of whether it is right and/or necessary to transfer control of NATS to the private sector. The significant advantage this secures is a guarantee of the necessary investment, without having to find it from public resources – which we believe would be better invested in education and health, where no alternative funding sources are available. We have therefore concluded, having considered safety issues in some detail that a new Partnership Company is the right way forward. This is very different indeed from the privatisation proposed by the last government. We are not selling our air, but mobilising private finance and management expertise to deliver safer skies without delaying passengers or depriving other government priorities of much needed investment.

I hope the foregoing provides some reassurance to your constituent on these important issues."

Bob Ainsworth.

slurp
17th Mar 2001, 04:45
i think the only reply to the above reply is B***OCKS

WebCreator
17th Mar 2001, 15:31
Firstly a hearty round of applause for actually doing something. There are a lot of canteen campaigners (not necessarily on this site because by being on here people illustrate a degree of commitment). Secondly, having read the response carefully I think that the motives are sound and that the strategic goals are in fact right and correct. Unfortunately, the view from 40,000 feet is usually of an idillic nature and bears little or no resemblance to what's happening on the ground. It may well be that the intentions of PPP are sound but the realities of a commercially orientated body running the "day-to-day" activities of NATS will not be visible to the "Board", whether the government and safety officers have power of veto or not. And it does seem that there is heavy emphasis on "looking after the governments interests" rather than looking after NATS, the NATS people and the safety issues. Example:- I worked for a well known brand leading PC manufacturer that has a very customer and quality focused CEO - the UK end of the operation though is blighted by share owning middle management focused on growing the share price at the expense of quality and customer service - they featured this week on Watchdog and were absolutely crucified - rightly so, for inattention to detail. I have absolutely no doubt that the CEO would be horrified, but I'd also be very surprised if he was even aware of the situation. Strategy is fine and laudable but putting it into day-to-day practice is what makes the difference between theory and execution. Execution in this scenario is possibly going to be managed by a company with a different agenda to that of the government or NATS itself. Therefore, despite the excellent response, I remain cynical...

niteflite01
17th Mar 2001, 16:40
I mailed Mr Two Jags persoanlly some weeks ago now and received EXACTLY the same reply, with obvious changes made to the context. It was laid out and worded EXACTLY the same.

In fact if you look far enough back in this forum you will see the letter I received as I posted it here.

So, is this where we are with our government at the moment. Standardised letters?

As someone else has so rightly put.......

B****CKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
"Go around..I say again...go around"

Patchit
17th Mar 2001, 20:03
I wrote directly to fatty two jags and got a VERY similar reply - probably from the same faceless wonder that wrote this total crap!

Steep Approach
17th Mar 2001, 20:25
Me too ...same reply!

terrain safe
19th Mar 2001, 01:03
Me too, do you think it's a chain letter

or

can't two jags be bothered with replying to us or indeed anyone with anything remotely approaching a good, reasoned argument? :mad:

ayrprox
19th Mar 2001, 19:29
and me. this just goes to show what this government thinks about our plight, not even bothering to cover individual points but prefering to standardise an answer.I'm glad that some MP's have the B@LLS to stick up for their constituents.I wrote to my local MP who said she understood the situation but voted WITH the government anyway. It showed me the "understanding" that she had for her constituents ( a bad policy for someone who is voted into office).
:mad: slurp said it all. what a load of Bo**ocks

niteflite01
20th Mar 2001, 23:41
We simply *HAVE* to do something about this standard letter shi*!!!!!

I simply can't believe this! We vote these absolute carefree and self-interested idiots into power and therefore they are DIRECTLY answerable to us. No two ways about it.

I'll get a proper reply from this bas**** if it's the last thing I do (which it very may well be!!!!)

We can't let a government get away with fobbing off the very people it is meant to represent can we?

I urge you all to do something about this. If not for PPP sake just for the sake of not being fobbed off with a standard letter produced by some pen pushing, cold hearted and well indoctrinated oink for whom, we, yes WE, pay his or her princely wages.

BOLL**** again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WebCreator
21st Mar 2001, 00:08
This is not perfect but it's the email address that supposedly goes to Labour Central Office...maybe a concerted campaign from as many as possible might spurn a proper reply....anyone any better ideas? Can anyone get a more personal email address?

[email protected]

niteflite01
21st Mar 2001, 02:08
[email protected]

Lets bombard the so-and-so until we get a proper and non-bulk reply!

------------------
"Go around..I say again...go around"

terrain safe
22nd Mar 2001, 01:25
Stupuid idea of the day....

If there is a general election in May, why don't we put up someone as an Anti PPP candidate in 2 jags constituency on Hull. Probably going to lose but we could gain a lot of support and mybe good publicity. Perhaps everyone could donate somthing like £10-20 to the campaign, to cover the running costs.

Actually trying to get money out of ATCO is like blood from stone so probably not a good idea.

Anyway I thought it was good..........

Bright-Ling
22nd Mar 2001, 01:46
I'll do it!!!

Sure I read in the NATS book of non-committance (STAFF HANDBOOK) that you can have 30 days special leave, if running for election.

P.S. Why is EVERYTHING in it "Subject Your Manager's Descretion"?!>? What's the point in having a handbook?

terrain safe
22nd Mar 2001, 02:36
What's the point of having a manager?