PDA

View Full Version : Football charters (or any charters for that matter)

dgutte
30th Sep 2004, 09:35
Hi all

Having just seen off a Finnish 757 and a Corsair 747 from Teesside/Durham Tees Valley/Whatever carrying Boro fans to the Czech Republic for tonights match, it got me thinking.

I assume that these aircraft remain at Ostrava airport until the return flights home after the game. Is this correct or will there be seperate aircraft for each leg, that way the outbound aircraft can get on with their "normal" flying day elsewhere?

If the aircraft do remain surely they will need two sets of crew due to flying hour restrictions?

Hope someone can answer these.

Also how much, very roughly naturally, does chartering a 747 for this kind of work cost?

Hand Solo
30th Sep 2004, 09:43
I'm pretty sure the aircraft stay there until the match is over. The aircraft don't come cheap and the charter cost will include fuel from the aircrafts base to MME, then MME to destination and the full return. That is their "normal flying day". Would be a bit difficult to achieve 2/3/4 more sectors between arrival at Ostrava and scheduled departure time!

BOAC
30th Sep 2004, 11:18
More likely the aircraft will come back (or go on) empty (costed into the charter) to work some other sectors and the fans would be picked up the next morning or whatever they ask for, since:-

Fans would probably like to stay over there

No-one really wants boozed-up fans on a flight back to Teeside late at night:D

Keeping it on the ground for 4 hours or more is not cheap either

If it stays over the crew might be lucky enough.............

A really smart commercial department MIGHT sew up an ad-hoc charter out of somewhere near!

One crew should cope with any of the options. Price for a jumbo? No idea, but I know a man who does.

PS I'm on 10%:D :D

steve757
30th Sep 2004, 17:40
Have done several football charters over the last few years. All but one day stopped i.e. flew to europe at about 0800 and back at 2300 ish. Crew staying in a hotel for the day while the punters did their 'stuff'. Only night stop was last year at Poznan. Great nightstop - cheap beer,food, friendly locals and a good hotel. However most of the punters were out of their respective hotels at 1000 on the day of departure and subsequently off their t*ts with vodka by departure at 1700. The flight back was a nightmare, with the cabin crew reporting advanced public vomiting, use of weed in ther toilets etc. Oh, and we had a full scale scrap between 2 factions of the fans as we pulled on the stand.

Engine overtemp
30th Sep 2004, 22:28
BOAC, Astraeus obviously don't do many football charters then?

The normal is to day stop with either a split duty or with minimum rest and then operate the aircraft back.

I have done several of these and they are a nightmare!