PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth accomodation

slyboy
15th Mar 2001, 22:51
S.O.S
Going to CATC in April and need to find a place to stay. I dont have a car and according to what i've read there is no public transport to the airport. Can someone guide me in the right direction? Where should i look to stay and how do students generally travel to the college.
please take pity on a lost soul
thanks

Bright-Ling
15th Mar 2001, 23:14
Most stay in the famous "Westby Rd" area of Boscombe, just a few miles East of the City Centre. Maybe you could stay there and steal lifts every day (normally about 10 cars or so make the trip!!!).

Failing that, use the accom list that should have been sent to you.

It isn't an easy location to get to without a car. Or you could live just North of Christchurch and get a bike.

That's about as close to pity as you'll get!!!

Data Dad
16th Mar 2001, 03:43
I got an accomodation list for the college of knowledge recently, prior to going on a course and one of the options sounded wonderful - Stakis Hotel The Promenade, Douglas, Isle of Man :) :) :) :) :) :)

Bizzy
16th Mar 2001, 17:19
If one was to cycle in for the purposes of exercise/ transport or indeed wished to exercise over lunch... are there shower facilities available at the college?

boroatco
16th Mar 2001, 17:28
Best bet is to go to westby road where there should be a few other students living and bum a lift, but you'll probably need a car for flying/Aerodrome OJT. so you'll have to pee slightly less of that student salary against the wall!

form49
16th Mar 2001, 20:16
Westby Rd s your best bet, 'll always be able to get a lift from someone. Don't stay in "the Clematis", if it's the same woman that owned it when I was there, she's completely bonkers and will make your life a miery!!!
We tried to get her taken off the accomdation list, but he turned up at the college in tears and got herself put back on!

Enjioy yourself at CATC

------------------
Turn left heading 230, close from the left, report established

Bern Oulli
16th Mar 2001, 22:10
BIZZY - Yes, shower facilities are available at CATC as well as bike sheds! Ah, the sweet nostalgia. ahem. I second the remark about ultimately needing a car. Unfortunately airfields tend not to be in the middle of residential areas - I can't think why.

Disregard my next transmission.

airsmiles
17th Mar 2001, 21:22
It's an abolute lie about no public transport - there's one bus a day from Bournemouth to link up with the Ryanair flight! Think postive - a choice of one service is one less decision to worry about.

monkey boy
17th Mar 2001, 21:43
Having been there until last year, I can't believe that the college is still recommending Boscombe as a suitable place to live. It is a dump. I got out of there ASAP and lived in Christchurch, which was closer to college, (1 1/2 miles) and I, as a simple country lad, felt safe walking home from the pub. You'll be earning enough to live somewhere decent, particularly if you're not running a car.

That said I do hate the South of England, and so Boscombe might be quite nice if you're used to that sort of thing.

But I bet it isn't.

HarryBucket
18th Mar 2001, 00:02
Don't not be concerned about the safety of Boscombe, it's not posh but is safe. Westby Road is definately the best bet to go for when you first arrive at CATC as you'll be with the rest of your course and have a great social life.

The Edwardian Hotel is a very good bet. The landlady, Hilary, is a little scary at times but nice and her husband Len is brilliant and will help you out with any problems eg. car etc.

Enjoy Boscombe, enjoy Bournemouth especially the beers and ladies (or men depending on your inclination or sex).

slyboy
18th Mar 2001, 16:54
Thanks guys still a little wary though
could i get a taxi out to CATC and how much is the journey. Also can someone please recommend a few good hotels or guesthouses so i can get on the phone to them. if theres anyone out there who went to CATC and didnt drive a car please let me know how you managed. Thanks again.

Grommit
19th Mar 2001, 00:12
How much do you guys get for accomodation,

I have lived in Boscombe and Centre or Bournemouth, i now have a small pad in Winton(to let from about May), and main house in Broadstone near poole(that mine)however most of my time is spent in BHX flying.

Boscombe is OK(just) they tried several years ago to spruce it up but as always you can never cover over all the cracks, there are loads of places to stay but it all depends on how much casy you have and what transport you can get hold of.

They do run buses throughout the day, but not from Boscombe, you will have to go into the centre and then catch the A1

check out the web site

http://www.yellowbuses.co.uk/tt/A1frame.htm

it gives you the times etc

I can help with local info etc, you can mail me [email protected]

athene
19th Mar 2001, 01:04
I didn't drive while at college, but found it pretty easy to get in and out with friends. In fact had that sorted while at Highfield Park. Don't recommend taking taxis, that will cost about £10-12 from the Boscombe area. Boscombe is ok to live in and at least its pretty central so your social life wont suffer if you live there!!!
Remember it is the start of the summer season so any B&Bs or hotels are probably putting prices up about now. There are usually quite a few rooms or flats for let in the area. I didn't actually find somewhere to live until I got to the area. It may be worth booking a hotel for a couple of nights and having a look around.
Hope you enjoy the college, its tough at times but well worth the effort

atcomatic
21st Mar 2001, 21:38
I stayed in Boscombe the whole time I was at the college and never had any problems, although it was a bit of a running joke that there was always plenty of nutters around! Its convenient for shops, pubs, buses and in summer only 5 mins walk to the beach.

Stayed in a B+B in Westby rd called The Harborne which was very nice and a friendly Landlord called Dave (aka Basil Fawlty). Did hear that it was turned into a student house at one time, but think its a B+B again now. Failing that, I stayed in a place opposite it with a landlady called Vi - cant remembre name of B+B. This was nice too- nice room nice food and Vi was really friendly.

Good Luck!

slurp
21st Mar 2001, 22:13
talking of accomodation in Boscombe...whatever happened to the 'AbbeyCourt'...must have crashed when they stopped paying a daily rate.

PA7
22nd Mar 2001, 12:56
Avoid Christchurch the town is a dump

Bright-Ling
22nd Mar 2001, 20:30
So PA7.......quarter cherokee are you...??

mmmmmmmmm!

Anyway, Christchurch is OK, about to renamed Atlantis, now it is back above water.

PA7
22nd Mar 2001, 23:04
BL Might be, now where did I put that feather?

Bright-Ling
23rd Mar 2001, 00:10
OK.......got some great new software for you!

Hopefully a free copy coming yr way!

Ifeather?????? I'm talking KX!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Bright-Ling (edited 22 March 2001).]

Bright-Ling
23rd Mar 2001, 00:15
Then.....

If you are BL(B2)......what would I be?

(keep it clean!)