PDA

View Full Version : Strange Letter from Kemble

Floppy Link
29th Sep 2004, 11:59
I was a bit surprised to get a letter today from a Mr Mutton of Kemble Air Services stating that all credit accounts will be terminated and asking for my credit card details for their new scheme. Apparently there is an existing account for my aircraft which is in my name but...

I've never been to Kemble.

I have never opened an account at Kemble.

I don't intend going to Kemble as I can never get time off for the Rally.

I've never had any communication from them previously about "my" account so I'm assuming that the aircraft doesn't owe anything to them - and if it does I'm definitely not going!

In the almost 2 years that I have owned the aircraft the only airfields we have visited have been...Sackville Farm, Conington, Carlisle and Perth...Kemble is too far away for us!
The last time the aircraft flew (very briefly and allegedly somewhat spectacularly) before I bought it was 26 April 1999 at Carlisle...then it was rebuilt! So any outstanding charges would be 5 years old at least

Seems to me like they're just trawling the database and carpet bombing all owners...anybody else had one of these letters?

If I do ever make it to Kemble I shall, as the letter states, "pay for all goods and services at the time of supply" :rolleyes:

Cheers
Russell
http://www.espotlight.co.uk/gbtbi/listings/43.jpg

niknak
29th Sep 2004, 23:14
As you say, it sounds like he's trawled the CAA registration database, and intentionally or otherwise, he's sailing fairly close to the wind with regard to trading standards legislation.

While he's not actually sending you an invoice for services rendered, he is implying that you should provide him with your financial details for previous or future payment of bills. Unless you have entered into a specific agreement to do so, i.e. a continuous authority payment from a credit or bank account, he cannot legally send you any bill or deduct payment if you don't owe him anything.

Under the circumstances, it sounds extremely dubious.

Don't reply and refuse to negotiate with him or any part of his operation.

Windy Militant
30th Sep 2004, 08:19
While you're at Kemble you can make a donation to the Nigerian Astronaut who's apparently stuck on The International space station and can't afford the fare for a flight home.
Just another scam e-mail, best thing to do is to tag it as junk mail if you have the facility and delete it. Do not reply to it under any circumstances as this flags up your mail address as being active and you'll be deluged with this kind of thing.
If you are really concerned contact your local trading standards office for advice.

Floppy Link
30th Sep 2004, 08:53
it wasn't an email...it was a letter on official Kemble paper.

No wonder they are closing accounts to save admin fees if some idiot has decided to spend tons of money on a direct mail campaign

Anyway, rant over. As you say, I'm ignoring it...so, please ignore me!

:zzz:

Windy Militant
30th Sep 2004, 11:15
That'll teach me to read more carefully in future Ooops.
We'd never ignore you Floppy Link, snigger behind your back a bit perhaps, but never ignore you. ;) ;)

BRL
30th Sep 2004, 12:24
It is a genuine letter. I have just had a chat with them at KAS and they have sent the letter out to over 600 people. It is not a scam as originally feared. :)