PDA

View Full Version : Whats the reason (80kts call..)

MOBILE OFF
29th Sep 2004, 09:39
1 Question which I have asked a few people have failed to arrive at a positive answer

1) Why do you call 80kts during the takeoff role,, regardless of type ?

amanoffewwords
29th Sep 2004, 09:43
Don't know but...

1) why couldn't you post this in questions

2) why didn't you put a meaningful title to the post

3) why didn't you search the answer first (answer here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127753&highlight=80kts) btw)

expedite_climb
29th Sep 2004, 09:43
a) To check the other guy is still alive
b) Airspeed indicator check
c) In our company, below 80 kts stop for significant malfunction, above 80kts, stop only for engine failure / fire etc.

Max Angle
29th Sep 2004, 15:27
Why do you call 80kts during the takeoff role,, regardless of type ? 100kts in the A320 for all the reasons mentioned above.

LondonJ
29th Sep 2004, 15:51
calm down amanoffewwords, mobileoff is clearly new (with only 3 posts) so I don't assume he knows all the intracacies of the pprune forums yet.

Dylsexlic
30th Sep 2004, 22:33
Mobile off asked
Why do you call 80kts during the takeoff role,, regardless of type ?

Dylsexlic says
it's just routine "role" play

Dylsexlic yes.............but at least I can spell "cocktip":uhoh:

amanoffewwords
1st Oct 2004, 07:42
LondonJ - what is so intricate as to the questions I asked - which were not relative to the number of posts he/she made - more like common sense to me?

Capt. Inop
1st Oct 2004, 21:44
100kts in the A320 for all the reasons mentioned above.

Yep, Airbus is so much faster on the ground than Boeing

(Guess i have to add that THIS IS JUST A JOKE)
or the Airbus guys gonna eat me alive

Expedite climbe is right:
a) To check the other guy is still alive
b) Airspeed indicator check
c) In our company, below 80 kts stop for significant malfunction, above 80kts, stop only for engine failure / fire etc.

Old Smokey
2nd Oct 2004, 12:04
Agreed Capt. Inop, expedite_climb got it right, to add 2 more to the list which may not be typical of all aircraft -

(1) For EPR gauged aircraft there is a defined speed by which the Takeoff EPR must be set, and then left unadjusted for the remainder of the Takeoff due to changeing EPR indications due to forward speed. A typical speed is 80 knots, for the RR Trent B777 the Auto-Thrust is in "Thrust Ref" mode up to 80 knots, and "HOLD" beyond that. Speeds may vary for other types.

(2) Some aircraft have quite limited Nose Wheel Steering authority through the rudder pedals, and it is procedure with some operators that, at low speeds, the PF holds the Steering tiller with one hand and the thrust levers with the other, whilst the PNF holds the control column. Changeover takes place when rudder effectiveness suffices for directional control, and again, 80 knots is a fairly typical speed. Speeds may vary for other types and operators. (I'm glad to be rid of that one).