PDA

View Full Version : Hampstead Norris

Zlin526
28th Sep 2004, 17:57
Would anyone have a contact number for the grass strip at Hampstead Norris, just a few hundred yards from the CPT VOR??

I've got some business to do about 2 miles away and would like to use it if at all possible, to save a long drive.

PMs and any help most welcome..:ok:

Monocock
28th Sep 2004, 18:16
It is spelt Hampstead Norreys.

Please PM me your mobile number and I will give you a contact number.

Zlin526
28th Sep 2004, 19:02
Thanks Mono,

PM in your inbox.

Z

:ok:

Whirlygig
28th Sep 2004, 20:00
As a resident of Compton, I can tell you that there is a bit of local controversy concerning the spelling. The OLD spelling of Hampstead Norris was Hampstead Norris - it was only when a pretentious landowner came to the village that it became Norreys.

So Zlin - White Hart or Swan?

Cheers

Whirlygig

Monocock
28th Sep 2004, 20:28
I decided on Norreys because it looked better on the sign as you entered the village.

Alright?

:p

Zlin526
29th Sep 2004, 08:17
Whirly,

Which do you recommend? I'm actually going to a place called Hermitage, but I'm sure I can venture up the road for a few lemonades in Compton. :E

And I'm sure that Hampstead Norris/Norreys airfield is marked on the charts as Norris, but on OS maps as Norreys.....It matters not.

At least the airfield hasnt had the misfortune to be called 'Twatt' like the old disused field in the Scottish Islands!(Orkney or Shetland, cant remember):confused:

Whirlygig
29th Sep 2004, 09:14
Ah Hermitage....

The Fox in Hermitage is quite good I understand but I have not been in there since new management took over.

Swan in Compton recently refurbished by friends - now very nice. White Hart in Hampstead Norris/eys is a bit run down now after the landlord did a disappearing act.

If you are a real ale person, then the Bell at Aldworth is a MUST.

Cheers

Whirlygig