PDA

View Full Version : SAS - Air Lauda on collision course at Malpensa

jaja
28th Sep 2004, 12:19
SAS had to abort their T/O yesterday at Malpensa, due to an Air Lauda on the rwy !

Very few details in the paper.......?

jtstream
28th Sep 2004, 13:00
A few scattered information, but it sounds like is was due to ATC fault (the ATC Officer has been suspended).
It seemes that while the Lauda aicraft was crossing the runway (authorized to do so), the SAS aircraft aborted at about 20 kts (having been cleared for takeoff).

No other info

320DRIVER
28th Sep 2004, 14:41
Italian TV reported that this is the not the first incident of the type as last year another close encounter had occurred.

Apparently, the current procedures are prone to failure as it would be too easy to discount these as incidents solely attributed to the controllers on the day.

My opinion, only based on limited experience I have at this airfield, would be that it would be better to use 35L for landings and 35R for takeoffs as from reading other runway incursion incidents, it would seem that vacating landing aircraft are more prone to crossing a parallel active than those preparing for takeoff.

Just my 2 euro cents...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Sep 2004, 15:09
<<but it sounds like is was due to ATC fault (the ATC Officer has been suspended>>

Don't jump to conclusions. Air Traffic Controllers are automatically suspended after any incident wherever the blame lies.

firstchoice7e7
29th Sep 2004, 03:22
Does this sound familiar?

a SK MD-87 crashed into a business jet during its take off roll at milan malpensa in 2001.

RAT 5
29th Sep 2004, 06:12
I think you will find that was Linate?

Blue heaven
29th Sep 2004, 08:53
320DRIVER

My opinion, only based on limited experience I have at this airfield, would be that it would be better to use 35L for landings and 35R for takeoffs as from reading other runway incursion incidents, it would seem that vacating landing aircraft are more prone to crossing a parallel active than those preparing for takeoff.

This theory was tested for LAX recently, and was found not to be valid. Read it at

http://ffc.arc.nasa.gov/about_us/technical_papers/runway.html