PDA

View Full Version : a/c shares/groups at cardiff

pipertommy
28th Sep 2004, 09:17
I recently posted a similar topic . Does anyone know of any groups or shares basically cheaper flying than a clubs per hour prices! this is for the area of cardiff? I fly pa28 ,pa 38 ,night qual, soon to be imc. thank you.:O

TwinAisle
28th Sep 2004, 22:52
You are probably better off putting a notice up in the Cardiff Wales Flying Club - from your posting, I guess you are a member, and I probably know you!

I agree - the prices at Cardiff have got crazy. I have stopped flying the club aircraft (after a trip to Waterford and back cost me 500 quid), and instead have a private arrangement with an owner.

TA

pipertommy
29th Sep 2004, 12:06
Thanks for the reply.I will consider putting up a notice in the club if no available shares are found. it is expensive to fly cwfc thought it may have been me !.probably make more money if the rental rate was lowered,with more people flying?theres a meeting on the 24th oct in the club.(But you probably know that)

TwinAisle
29th Sep 2004, 12:11
You're exactly right, I am sure that more people would fly the aircraft if they were more sensibly priced. It seems that the club is trying to absorb its overheads over way too few flying hours. Looking forward to this meeting - did you know the lease on the building is up at the end of October?

sigmet
30th Sep 2004, 22:06
Just noticed this thread whilst catching up on the PPRUN-ers.

I did my first flight CWFC in Sep 1989 having just turned 18. I couldnt afford to do my ppl until 3 years ago - and by then had moved to Sussex - but that's by the by. My point is that I experienced just the same rather "eliteist" [sp] attitude then and with the arrogance of youth tried to find allies to start a rebellion. I can recall spending weekend after weekend there as a "social member" trying to work out what my "social membership fee" had bought me.

I return regularly to my parents home just a few hundred feet down from the Machen mast - and promise myself that this month I will fly up from SHM to CDF via BCN - but each time I do the maths I just cant justify the fees - from either CIA Ltd, or CWC.

Sadly the farm strip at Whitson doesnt look satis. to our Club CFI so we make do with getting as close as we can - the occasional Bristol, frequently GARSTON FARM [FAB!!!], RAF Lyneham and so on. My PA28 buddy and I are just starting a project to investigate buying our own 2 or 4 seater to lower our hourly costs.

The point of all this?

1: I miss my Welsh roots!
2: I still nuture a huge chip against CWC for almost destroying my dream of what GA was all about at the tender age of 18
3: I think there a lots of us out there who are wising up to the costs per hour of our passion and looking for options.

And ....finally - I sense both of your frustrations - which can easily lead to people giving up this god given pursuit of flying. DONT FAL TO THE DARKSIDE GENTLEMEN

VBR
Sigmet

BTW - Any loyal CWC members out there who may be offended- sorry - I just call it how I see it :ok:

pipertommy
6th Oct 2004, 22:06
since my last post cwfc has gone bust.sad news.bye bye :confused:

SevernTMA
12th Oct 2004, 20:52
I noticed the doors were locked but does anyone have any other news? What about new ownership?

distaff_beancounter
13th Oct 2004, 11:02
There is a lively thread already running on this subject under the Pprune - Professional Pilot Training forum