PDA

View Full Version : PPL Revalidation Fee?

weetabix
26th Sep 2004, 16:38
A question on PPL SEP Land revalidation...

Last month I completed the requirements for revalidation by experience, and now need to send form SRG1119 to the CAA. The 'examiner's certificate' section is complete and is simply for a revalidation (i.e. the rating didn't lapse).

Having trawled through the CAA site, PPRuNe and LASORS section F1.4, I am still not 100% sure whether there is a CAA administration fee to go with the form or not...

I see that in LASORS section 1.5 referring to RENEWALS it states that if the form is signed etc there will be no fee. I presume this means the same applies to Revalidations but would rather check, as LASORS kindly reminds us on page 1!

So to reiterate my question: Is there a fee for a PPL revalidation?

Thanks very much for any help in advance!

W

aiglon
26th Sep 2004, 16:58
...but I don't think I have ever paid a fee, even when I had to revalidate through a flight test.

Aiglon

Evo
26th Sep 2004, 17:13
I've very recently revalidated by experience, and just sent off the form without a fee. Nobody has complained ... yet!

I nearly screwed the whole thing up, because I thought that my SEP rating was valid for two years from the date of licence issue - it isn't, it's two years from the date of the skills test pass. Luckily I chose the last day it was valid to talk to an examiner. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I was told that, even though I had the necessary hours, had I not got the sign-off in time I would have had to have a flight test with an examiner (some will back-date the form, this one wouldn't) and after a flight test a cheque to the CAA is required. Nearly an expensive mistake... :O

englishal
26th Sep 2004, 17:18
Mad innit !

I revalidated, but never got a form from the examiner, and hence as far as CAA records go, I was never re-validated. Ok, so long as I don't loose the bit of paper with the examiners signature :ooh:

weetabix
26th Sep 2004, 17:22
aiglon, evo, thanks v. much for your replies...

As I expected, but very reassuring nonetheless- couldn't remember from 2yrs ago!

Shall send off the form in a satisfyingly cheque-free envelope! :D

atb
w

BEagle
26th Sep 2004, 17:26
1. It's the candidate's responsibility to provide the form, not the Examiner's. But the Examiner must complete the relevant sections and sign it.

2. The form CANNOT be back-dated; to do so is an offence. See the notes on the form.

3. There is NO fee to pay to the CAA unless the rating is being renewed after a lapse of 5 years or more.

4. It's hardly rocket science..................

englishal
26th Sep 2004, 17:33
So in my case, where I didn't provide the form, but got my CoE signed, can I get a "retrospective" form signed? Or would a letter to the CAA along with my licence and logbook be good enough? (got to send it to them in the near future anyway...)

Thanks;)

BEagle
26th Sep 2004, 21:51
I imagine your form got lost in the post to Gatwick, englishal...:E

It's the signed C of E which really matters.

Examiners like you had are the people chiefly to blame for any admin cock-ups.

twizzle
27th Sep 2004, 08:14
C of E form for the licence is now replaced.

C of R. Certificate of Revalidation is the current form.

I always provide all the paperwork including an addressed envelope.

englishal
27th Sep 2004, 08:44
I imagine your form got lost in the post to Gatwick, englishal
Must have been, there's been a lot of bad press recently regarding the Post Office.....;)

BEagle
27th Sep 2004, 14:31
Yes - you're right. Amazing how poor the post has been in some parts of the world recently......

'Ratings - Certificate of Revalidation' to be exact - Form FCL 150CJAR.

Finals19
28th Sep 2004, 05:52
OK, perhaps an obvious question, but here goes......

My SEP validation lapsed in July. I now live out in Canada and have a Canadian CPL MEIR, but was wondering when I come back to Blighty at Xmas what it would take to revalidate my UK SEP PPL?

Or perhaps I should just fly day VFR on my Canadian CPL? I am assuming that day VFR is all I can fly, limited to UK airspace in a G reg a/c, but am unsure of insurance issues on a plane with foreign licence.....

Cheers y'all.............:ok:

BEagle
28th Sep 2004, 06:02
Assuming that your UK licence and JAA medical are still valid, you will merely need to take a renewal LST with a UK/FE(PPL). Your SEP Class Rating will then be valid for 2 years from the date of passing the test.

The test itself consists of a coiple of steep turns, a couple of stalls, an off-aerodrome PFL plus a couple of circuits. Shouldn't take more than an hour if the FE runs it properly.

The only fees payable will be the cost of a/c hire plus the Examiner's fee (which varies - I charge £77). The Examiner will sign up your licence there and then on the Ratings - Certificate of Renewal page and a form will be sent to the CAA.

There is NO fee payable to the CAA.

You may fly by day, under VFR iin UK airspace in a G-reg a/c on your Canadian licence; insurance will be a matter for the person hiring the a/c to you.

englishal
28th Sep 2004, 15:04
Or perhaps I should just fly day VFR on my Canadian CPL? I am assuming that day VFR is all I can fly
...and night from an airfield outside CAS
...and IFR outside CAS

;)

Finals19
30th Sep 2004, 08:11
Many thanks for the tips.........

NVFR sounds do-able, but I shudder to think how I might take to IFR outside CAS and off-airway (wot no radar?:confused: ) May just splash out and revalidate the old UK PPL..............:ok:

BEagle
30th Sep 2004, 08:21
All night flight in the UK (even in VMC) is conducted under IFR. In a Class D CTR, a PPL without IMC Rating or IR does not include such privileges; hence you would need to fly under SVFR with the associated minimum visibility minima.