PDA

View Full Version : Screen Indication for RVSM

Spodman
10th Mar 2001, 04:58
How do your labels look for non-approved aircraft in RVSM airspace?

Is such a display filtered by level?

Can you manually "toggle" the indication?

In Australia we have one character in the label that is hightlighted if the aircraft IS approved, but that character is not always present or visible. Would you work with this?

------------------
I am not an animal, I am an ATC.

Take3Call5
10th Mar 2001, 12:15
Spodman

RVSM isn't introduced fully in UK 'till next year when NERC will be open (honest!!).
At NERC non-rvsm equipped tracks have some 'hash' marks (for want of a better word) down the left side of the Electronic Flight Strip and on the Track Data Block on the radar screen. Dunno what other units will use.

AyrTC
10th Mar 2001, 12:54
At Scottish we have an "*" on the bottom line of the radar display label,and a "w" after the squawk on the FPS.
AyrTC

eyeinthesky
10th Mar 2001, 14:27
There is an 'Attention Getter' asterisk before the callsign for non-approved a/c at or filed above FL290, with a couple of further conditions as well. It is permanently displayed. Have yet to see how easy itis to work with on the radar. Only seen it on the sim so far.

Toggling between options.. now that would be nice, but you obviously don't have the same steam-driven system that we have!!

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

Mr Chips
10th Mar 2001, 16:59
Sorry if I'm being dumb, but isn't RVSM being introduced THIS year, before NERC opens? I guess one of us has got it wrong, unless dates have been changed...

Numpo-Nigit
10th Mar 2001, 19:07
Yes, Chippy. You are correct. RVSM will be with us all in the UK next month (barring last-minute disasters). It's the full Europe-wide implementation which is due to occur in January 2002. So, for about nine months we in the UK can use RVSM, between suitably-equipped aircraft, but cannot transfer such aircraft at their RVSM levels to adjacent ACCs (except to Shannon, who have been successfully using RVSM for some years).

Findo
10th Mar 2001, 20:33
Take3 and Numpty - RVSM has been in use in the UK for the last 4 years. It will be extended to much of the rest of the airspace later this year.

------------------
Go with the flow ... or you'll miss your slot.

Numpo-Nigit
10th Mar 2001, 21:58
Sorry Findo. I didn't mean to exclude you good people who have been "doing it" for a while. My post was intended to indicate that it would apply to ALL UK airspace from next month. I can't comment on what Take3Call5 meant though, as his horizons don't seem to reach beyond the NERC carpark!!!

woatc
10th Mar 2001, 22:33
In Germany we can insert an "egg-circle" aoround the labels quadrangle.

Looks funny ;)

------------------
Carpe Diem !

Findo
11th Mar 2001, 00:13
No problem Numpty.

RVSM is scheduled for the rest of the UK for April 17th I believe. Our experience is that it will be a big help.

Going back to Spodman's original question I believe your system would not pass any safety case in the UK if it is not reliable. At the moment as AYR says we indicate all compliant aircraft. The proposal is that we change to indicating non compliant aircraft as they should eventually be the minority.

Spod - do you mix compliant and non compliant in all airspace ?

------------------
Go with the flow ... or you'll miss your slot.

karrank
12th Mar 2001, 12:14
Yes. The usual state aircraft that apparantly can't be kept out and a half-baked sort of dispensation class that would exclude most.

But any aircraft can be cleared in "at controller discretion" with no allowance for getting them out again if the previous sector thought it was a good idea, but you don't.

The management are saying we can cope with 10% of traffic not approved. I don't believe them.