PDA

View Full Version : New list of Permit aircraft

ozplane
26th Sep 2004, 10:32
Has anybody got an update on whether the a/c listed as being of "Historic relevance" eg all the Austers, early DH types and Concorde (!!) and excluded from EASA Regs are to be put on a CAA or PFA Permit? Only reason is that when I picked up my C of A for my Airtourer last week the lady said somewhat enigmatically "That's the last one of those you'll be getting". I didn't twig at the time.

ACX
26th Sep 2004, 11:19
Oz

Glad to see you got the C of A renewed.

EASA still has a lot of sorting out to do, but the aircraft that are listed as non-EASA types will stay under the responsibility of the CAA, unless the list is changed. They will stay on a CAA C of A or Permit to Fly as they are now, i.e. no changes.

The comment from the lady was probably because as of 29 September the CAA will issue EASA C of A's for EASA aircraft. If you had waited a week you could have had one of these.

ACX

ozplane
26th Sep 2004, 17:15
Thanks ACX. That makes sense. However I was slightly flattered to find my humble Airtourer on the same list as Concorde. I guess they are both orphans in the CAA's eyes.

LowNSlow
28th Sep 2004, 06:27
Damn, I started reading this with high hopes of getting my Auster onto a PFA Permit at last. :{ :{

When will the CAA realise that these types sit far better under the umbrella of the PFA rather than the huge canopy of the CAA?

Mike Cross
28th Sep 2004, 09:04
You might find they realised it some time ago.
It's probably not a good idea for the Type Certificate to be held by the regulatory authority and they might well be glad to pass responsibility to someone else.

The problem is more likely to be that PFA Engineering are overstretched as it is. There is a good business opportunity here and if they can sort out the administrative, staffing, QA and finance hurdles they could take advantage of it.

Needless to say the constant state of uncertainty brought about by JAA/EASA can't help.

cubflyer
28th Sep 2004, 17:02
I have heard (from the PFA) that the CAA no longer want to look after the light aircraft that they currently hold the type certificates for and are looking to offload all of these aircraft onto PFA permits. I believe there are about 7-10 types, the only ones that could be remembered were Austers, Condors and factory built ARV Super Twos ( some already homebuilt and thus on a permit) The alternative to a PFA permit would be for owners of these aircraft to set up their own organisation to support their particular type- such as De Havilland Support have done for various Moths and Chipmunks.
Thus many Auster pilots may get their wish to have their aircraft on a PFA permit. I have also heard that the DGAC (French CAA) have had similar thoughts with their "orphaned" aircraft and thus this may allow many more Jodels on PFA permits, including newly imported aircraft again. - apparently Jodels are not supported by the Robin factory.

So there could be some good things in EASA!!

Mike Cross
29th Sep 2004, 09:06
The problem with setting up your own organisation is the QA regime that you need to put in place in order to become an approved organisation.

It's certainly possible to do it under the wing of an organisation which already has the approvals and the systems in place but rather more difficult to set up from scratch.