PDA

View Full Version : Have a question regarding PPL>>>>>

devontony
26th Sep 2004, 10:24
Have wanted to get my PPL for some years, but have let my fear in one area stop me. This is embarassing for a 41 year old, but I suppose I must confess.

My name is Tony and my maths stinks:{

Now I really do want to start lessons in the spring, but am very worried about the degree to which my maths may be stretched (strangely I work in IT). I am willing to go to night school to brush it up, well actually re-learn it. But am unsure of the key areas for me to learn, please could someone advise me.

Many thanks in advance from the dunce in the corner.

Devontony

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Sep 2004, 10:38
Well, you need to be able to do primary school arithmetic, there are lots of tedious conversions between litres, US gallons, pounds etc, but beyond that:

(1) You need a basic understanding of what a vector is, how to add vectors, how to resolve vectors into components in various directions. This is used in understanding the forces on an aircraft in flight, and in planning navigation taking the wind into account.

(2) A very basic understanding of trigonometry is also useful, mostly in relation to the above. When ATC tells you the wind speed and direction as you approach to land, for example, you need to be able to work out, in your head, how much of that is the crosswind component and whether or not you are going to attempt to land with that much crosswind. *But*, nobody *actually* does this by memorising sine and cosine tables, they actually do it by memorising some very simple approximate rule of thumb, and this is entirely possible to do without actually understanding the trigonometry at all.

Altogether you're looking at enough maths to have occupied three or four lessons early on in the O-level course.

devontony
26th Sep 2004, 10:52
Much simpler than I thought, perhaps I was too busy expecting complex equations!

Well I had better get cracking on some revision.

Thanks again

Devontony

WestWind1950
26th Sep 2004, 10:56
don't worry about Math, Tony.... I'm lousy, too, and managed to get as far as a CPL (commercial licence) :p I still use my fingers sometimes heehee (oooops.. maybe I shouldn't out myself heehee)

Lots of math problems you can get done using a simple calculator. And for other things, like liters/gallons, there are simple forumlas you can either learn by heart or put on a "cheat sheet" :cool:

Don't let poor math keep you from trying!! good luck! :ok:

Westy

devontony
26th Sep 2004, 11:02
So then I could count to twenty :ok:

Cheers

devontony

maggioneato
26th Sep 2004, 11:18
Don't worry about it Tony, the most I ever had to count was how many boxes of cornflakes I had in the cupboard, but I wanted that PPl so I studied and got it. If I can do it as a bored housewife, you can do it no problem. Go for it. Good luck.