PDA

View Full Version : Strike 2 (or not Strike 2)- that, is the question!

squawk 6789
9th Mar 2001, 19:52
OK, now that the original thread is dying a death and we know the result of the consultative ballot, and given the sentiment of the lead post on the "IPMS" thread, when are we going out? The Tube (I believe) went on strike without a legal dispute so why are we pussy-footing around trying not to offend anybody? It's our terms and conditions/ pensions/ salaries on the line and the public's right to expect that no corner will be cut in the pursuit of the safest possible flying environment.
I for one am fed up with IPMS sabre-rattling and talking a good fight. Coats off, boys, and meet management behing the bike sheds- if you think you're hard enough!

(No retorts of "why don't you get involved?", please.)

WebCreator
9th Mar 2001, 21:29
But if you strike now, you're striking against your own management. Whilst you might not like / agree with them or their motives you don't actually have a formal dispute with them. Once the Govt has nominated your new partner, you have a grievance ie safety, pay and conditions etc - anything that changes between now and then. That's my take on it anyway - anyone have a better / more informed / different view?

Hurry Thru 9
9th Mar 2001, 22:40
sq6789,

why don't you get involved ?

squawk 6789
10th Mar 2001, 00:03
see last line of original post.

Hurry Thru 9
10th Mar 2001, 00:57
SQ,

Hence my post.

You cannot expect to grumble and then only expect responses YOU want to hear.

What is your level of commitment to the union. Apart form your £11 pm.

You want change, then get off your arse and do something about it.

DeltaTango
10th Mar 2001, 19:30
Excuse me, but could someone run this problem through me again.
What started all this?

Cheers
DT

5milesbaby
11th Mar 2001, 02:32
HT9 - i think thats exactly what sq6789 wants to do, get off his/her arse and actually walk out to show their feelings. I for one, am another. If everyone who has had a reply in the last year or so to 'do their bit' and 'get involved' does so, then everyone in the bl**ding company will be a rep, too many cooks and all that. I would not be a good rep and so am not, but do relate from time to time with the reps about various things to put my thoughts across. I do agree though with WebCreator, its going to happen regardless, so lets wait a couple of weeks and show the newbies with full force not to screw us around.

controller friendly
12th Mar 2001, 02:31
By the way incase anyone has forgotten,the main reason we have agreed to possible industrial action is safety,give the union a chance,we want the publics support on this one,don't make rash decisions,I would assume the reason we have not heard anything in the press is because of the other big news stories & we don't want to appear on the 6O'Clock news at 6.26 when everyone has switched off to make the tea!!
Support the unions!

squawk 6789
19th Mar 2001, 21:42
Still waiting.
Has anybody got the slightest idea of what, if anything, is happening?
Are we now going to throw away the momentum generated by the consultative ballot?
Did IPMS take the result to Management & what reception/ response did they get?
Have IPMS accepted defeat?
Some (informed) info please, from someone.

(5miles:- thanks, you're spot on regarding my personal position.)

Serco Stuffer
19th Mar 2001, 22:30
If we strike now we will be harming the very people (AG) that we have just stated we back. If Serco get the contract (see below) then we should strike as we would be hurting them - a great deal, if we do in correctly - not Easter - but hit business users - not Spring Bank Hol.

Possible good news;

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,5-100972,00.html (http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,5-100972,00.html)

------------------
Stuff Serco!

HarryBucket
19th Mar 2001, 22:40
The vote on whether to vote on strike action has given the result that the Union expected, so why is it that they are now looking into the legalities of strike action, shouldn't that have been done before the ballot?

The ballot was set up to gauge peoples' views on striking to prevent ppp, why is the result now being used as a threat to strike after ppp? Surely this issue should be discussed after ppp and if there are any problems. I don't think that it puts ATCO's in a good light, making threats against potential partners. Should we not try to work with the partner to make the best of ppp if it happens instead of alienating the new management from the outset.

We should keep an open mind, hopefully we will be pleasntly surprised.