PDA

View Full Version : Glide slope angles

phnuff
23rd Sep 2004, 21:45
I have just been watching BBc news in which the topic was the proposed new London Gateway bridge to be sited reasonably close to City Airport. Their beef was that it was only 'meters' outside of what would be considered unsafe for landings.

This got me thinking about ILS approches. As part of my IMC, I have done 3 degree glideslopes at EGGW, however I believe City uses a 6 degree glideslope ?

Now to my question, is 6 degrees the limit of non cat 3 ILS approaches, or do other airports have steeper ?

Come to think of it, what is the steepest Cat 3 apprach?

(edited to add supplemental question)
(and to change title)

PaperTiger
23rd Sep 2004, 22:40
There used to be an airport at Avon, Colorado with a 7° approach.
Only Dash-7s and endorsed pilots could use it.
Closed a few years ago (or could be more depending how my memory is working today).

ATCO Two
23rd Sep 2004, 22:53
EGLC glidepath is now 5.5 degrees, but was originally 7 degrees and designed around Dash 7 performance criteria.

gravitysucks
24th Sep 2004, 07:24
Yup, city is indeed 5.5 degree glide. Bit like jumping off a tall building until you get used to it!
Cat 1 only, I can't imagine anywhere that would be approved for low(er) vis operations when combined with a steep approach.
regards, GS.

OzExpat
24th Sep 2004, 08:02
The steepest Cat 3 approach angle is 3 degrees. This is all that we can design in accordance with Pans Ops criteria.

phnuff
24th Sep 2004, 10:37
Thanks guys, appreciated