PDA

View Full Version : Impact of high G and the Battle of Britain - BBC2 24th Sep 9pm

greeners
23rd Sep 2004, 17:36
(From BBC2 website)

Battlefield Britain
Fri 24 Sep, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins

Battle of Britain

In the last episode in this series, Dan Snow experiences for himself how the Battle of Britain was fought at the limits of human endurance when he takes flight in a high performance stunt plane. Recreating the spiralling turns of a dogfight, he feels the extraordinary side-effects of the high G forces felt by pilots in this critical battle of Second World War.

Using revolutionary graphics, Peter Snow gives a blow-by-blow account of the pivotal moments of the battle and how the RAF held off the might of the German Luftwaffe during the summer of 1940. The future of the entire country was at stake in this, the first great air battle in history.

Haven't seen any previews but we did spend a couple of days filming the 'stunt plane' part of this earlier this year, where Dan Snow was blacked out to camera - should be interesting!

J.A.F.O.
26th Sep 2004, 12:24
Not only interesting but very, very funny; especially with Dad on the ground getting more and more excited about just how uncomfortable his son might be.

Bright-Ling
26th Sep 2004, 12:32
Yes - very funny watching Dad!

An excellent series by the BBC- superb background, modern graphics and real tails from both sides. Top class.

MichaelJP59
26th Sep 2004, 13:19
Noticed that Cubes was doing some severe anti-g grunting during the manoeuvres - presumably he wasn't holding back at all and giving Mr. Snow the full works:) Either that or he was very angry!

- Michael

down&out
26th Sep 2004, 17:54
He mentioned he got them up to 7G.

I certainly don't call that "holding back":p

I'm tempted to save up and have a go with them. My personal "best" so far is 6G, but that was with a G suit - so a relatively minor achievement really.

Flash0710
27th Sep 2004, 22:33
So Greeners......

.......Will UH be doing a Impact of high G and the Battle of Britain Pacakge now?

F.
:E

greeners
28th Sep 2004, 20:22
Flash - excellent idea, thanks!:cool:

down&out - as I'm sure you know, no turning trousers in the Extra - too much of a weight penalty apart from anything. But if you were wearing speed jeans for your 6g score, then you were probably enduring sustained g, which is something you don't really need to do in the Extra since all the manoeuvres are over and done with so quickly!

MichaelJP59
29th Sep 2004, 07:42
Anyone know how the Extra compares with a Spitfire when used in a demonstration like this?

Presumably the Extra is stressed for higher-g loadings and can also transition to maximum g far quicker than the spit could?

- Michael