View Full Version : Instructor Duties??

EnglishPatient
13th Jan 2001, 23:40
I have 2 sector validations, had no airprox's, still under 35, would I be seen as out of place as a CATC instructor? Or should I wait until I am no use to anyone before applying for bournemouth ?

bill
13th Jan 2001, 23:47
what's your point?

EnglishPatient
13th Jan 2001, 23:49
I'm considering instructor duties young bill, isn't that obvious !

InspectorGadget
14th Jan 2001, 01:15
Hey pal - what is your agenda here???

(sorry - just trying to make Bill feel better!)

Seriously, surely you are OVER qualified??!?!
Wait for the airmiss/medical problem/24 hours posting first.

Bright-Ling
14th Jan 2001, 03:14
I think that they need instructors asap - if you like teaching - go for it.

I hear that they have some foxy young chicks there now........keep adding to them I'd say!!!

controller friendly
14th Jan 2001, 04:16
If what I read today is to be believed they are very short of area instructors particularly at CATC so you would probably be snapped up.
Though what PPP will bring remains to be seen.
Also if you're at LATCC that looks like a great place to escape from in the next 15 months or so,too much like hard work!

bill
14th Jan 2001, 05:18
sorry englishpatient, I obviously misinterpreted the tone of your post.

good luck to you if that's what you want to do but personally I would hold on until PPP has bedded in as potentially the only safe post would be a 100% operational post.

Asda
14th Jan 2001, 14:26
If you're from LATCC I hear that Al Lewis has stopped all unit transfers TFN. (Obviously hasn't heard about Mr.Chisholm's 60 extra ATCOs - Actually I heard he had to apologise to the Transport Committee for providing misleading information. Perhaps Mr. Chisholm would care to comment)

EnglishPatient
15th Jan 2001, 00:01
Although OJTI'in is good fun (at times), Rumour has it CATC instructing is an easier life overall, I dont wish to offend anyone down there but what I don't want is to go to Bournemouth and end up a crusty, only to find it hard to cope again if I got out !!!

Would it be better to leave it until I've passed 40 and at the end of my career??

AyrTC
15th Jan 2001, 01:23
Surely if you are asking yourself and others these questions the Instructor job is not for
you and if you are not happy with your present position? perhaps ATC is not for you.
rgds
AyrTC http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

ukatco
15th Jan 2001, 01:50
With your attitude I would suggest you are no use at CATC. As a single skill ATCO you are probably not much use to anyone outside of LATCC.

EnglishPatient
15th Jan 2001, 22:33
ukatco ..... Attitude ? single skill ? maybe its better to still have a skill, and an operational one at that, than no skill at all! The Vibes I'm getting from you are the same as a few "has been's" I know and I'm not one of them yet (me thinks :-) ) So maybe I should just stick to what I know best, controlling real aircraft....

To all others with valuable input, thanx

Jackal
15th Jan 2001, 22:49
In discussion with some CATC Area Instructors recently, there is some rumour that those who have recently held validations, at for example LATCC, may be returning to operational duties sooner than they thought to make up for the shortfall in NERC staffing. The truth of this rumour is unknown as I was under the impression that there is a large increase in student numbers in the pipeline and CATC are soon to go onto shifts to cater for this and are crying out for Area Instructors!!

Yellow Snow
16th Jan 2001, 02:42
Are u sure you've had no airproxes EP? and what about the bi-plane you crashed in the desert ;) Unacceptable!!
When u r ready to go back to the college I'm sure you'll enjoy the nightlife ;) :)

Bern Oulli
21st Jan 2001, 15:01
EP - A) CATC is desperately short of Area instructors
B) There is an intention to increase the number of students coming in through the front door by 50%.
C) There is no intention of increasing the numbers of students going down the Approach Radar route - ALL the extras will be doing Area. This means an increase of 100% on the Area side.
D) Shift working at CATC is intended to start in June.
E) In true NATS tradition, the management have no idea how they will implement it, or I suspect, how they will staff it.

As heard on the aerodrome sim recently, "Cleared for a touch and grope"!

Der SimMeister
22nd Jan 2001, 00:16
or, heard the other week "after the landing vehicle line up and wait runway 26....."
hehe better start a new thread for that one :)

Bright-Ling
22nd Jan 2001, 03:00
or.......

"Go around - I quote again...."

Tee hee

Magnetron
23rd Jan 2001, 23:18
Der Simiester
Go to Mil page "I wish I had'nt said that"
Hilarious, should have its own site.

Joe Petroni
24th Jan 2001, 14:52
The problem with the college is nothing to do with the standard of instructors who are posted there. I think any of you will find that the majority of them are highly capable individuals who do their best to produce good ATCOs. The main problem at CATC is the lack of operational reality-how do you train students for the differences between units? You chaps in the field should have an appreciation of CATC, or is it that long since you were here you can't remember?

[This message has been edited by Joe Petroni (edited 24 January 2001).]

Joe fat boy Petroni
24th Jan 2001, 15:15
der sim meister and brite ling, you're both a bit sad are'nt you?

Der SimMeister
24th Jan 2001, 23:00
Magnetron,

Do you have the link by any chance please? maybe I am being thick but can't seem to find it.

Fat boy is not worthy of a serious response as it appears from his postings in other threads on here that he's only out to get a reaction.

OrsonCart
25th Jan 2001, 00:27
So rumours of CATC recruiting like mad (Unofficially) to make up the shortfall when the college goes onto a shift system are unfounded?

Magnetron
25th Jan 2001, 07:31
Der SiMmiester
Look at, Other Aircrew - Mil Pilots and then just look for the biggest post

Joe fat boy Petroni
25th Jan 2001, 13:18
no I am quite serious about this and many other issues, I can't stand people taking the rip out of instructors just because they are easy targets

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Jan 2001, 16:32
Joey Baby... haven't you heard the old saying: "Those who can, do.. those who can't, teach.. those who can't teach manage".

Joe fat boy Petroni
25th Jan 2001, 19:55
If you examine any area of NATS you will find people who are not up to the task, as with any big organisation. It's not just specific to the college. I'll have to agree with you on the management front though.