PDA

View Full Version : VFR flight to St Petersburg

walkabout
22nd Sep 2004, 16:27
I'm planning a trip to the Baltic States/Scandanavia next summer and thought it would be an experience to add St Petersburg to the plan, arriving from either Finland or Estonia.

So far I've contacted the Russian Consulate in London who referred me to Aeroflot in London. They were very helpful and explained what I need to do to apply for permission for the flight, which is fairly straightforward in so far as I write a letter because there is no set process! The request then gets forwarded to Moscow 'who will decide, although it may take some time'!

I've done a fair amount of non-UK flying so am not unduly concerned about the Baltic bit of the plan but can see that even with formal permission to conduct a flight in/into Russia, this could provide some interesting(?!) experiences especially as I can't speak or read a word of the language.

Would be grateful for any advice but particularly on ATC, customs, security issues, local problems that I'd never think of and even how adviseable this is. If I do it, the Russian intercept codes will be close to hand!

W