PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Flight Scam - Pprune saves the day!

Bob Down
22nd Sep 2004, 14:43
I refer to a posting made by MBJ on 6th Sept....

<Ferry Flight Scam

A word of warning about a current scam..

A bloke called "George Schleper" based in Greece arranges with a UK company for a pilot to ferry a Bell 206 from Athens to UK. A false note of transfer of funds is faxed late on a Friday to cover the cost of the airline ticket and expenses.

On arrival the pilot is then asked for the expenses cash to convert into Euros whereupon the bloke is never seen again. He is doing it for relative peanuts but it has worked at least once.

He purports to work for Carnegie Shipping, gives out a fax number, uses a mobile phone and offers to pay the pilot's charges in cash on arrival in Greece.

Having asked him last Thursday for a sight of the CofA and CofR relating to the aircraft registration "VP-SUX" he seems to have suffered a total comms failure!

...BUT today called me again!!

Special Branch at Biggin Hill are interested if anyone has any further info.

He has done this to fixed-wing people as well...>

The company that I work for has very recently (Monday 20th Sept) been approached by the 'George' mentioned to ferry a B737 from ATH to DUB. Different surname and shipping company, but all the other hall marks ie fax only, mobile phones no land line etc. But all very credible stuff otherwise.

Having been a Pprune reader for some time...it rang some bells, and after a quick search found the relevant details as above. A quick call to Biggin Hill Special Branch proved the validity of this as being a scam. BHSB were very interested and all details have been passed to them to include in their liasing with the Greek authorities.

On behalf of PAS I would like to thank 'Pprune' and MBJ for saving us money, and hopefully helping to put this gentleman where he belongs!!

BD

five iron
22nd Sep 2004, 15:43
There was a long posting on this about two months ago, as the company I work for was also approached for a B737 Ferry Flight.

We actually had contact with the Greek police, but nothing came of it as we were doing all the leg work and the Greek police were doing very little. He is apparently wanted for various fraud/confident scams.

Be warned everyone, because if he is still at large he will leave it a few months ands then strike again!

Well done for not getting caught out Bob Down! I know a pilot that was caught out, and if he ever catches the b****rd he will......well, I am sure it won't be pretty as we all know how much pilots treasure their hard earned cash!!

Daysleeper
22nd Sep 2004, 16:17
So perhaps a small donation to PPRUNE from your company for saving you so much hastle and money:D

BOAC
22nd Sep 2004, 17:25
An excellent idea, DS:ok:
I would suggest the 'PPrune Fund' (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110892) would be a worthy recipient for any donations?

Having made a small contribution to the fund a while back, it has given me great pleasure to actually fly with some of those that the fund has helped on the way.

Contact InFinRetirement for more information.

Bob Down
23rd Sep 2004, 07:59
Thanks for that gents.

Will contact Infinretirement as I believe that you are correct about a donation being due.

Now lets see if I can lever money out of the accounts department... a clever con man couldn't do it...hoepfully I can! ;)

BD

Teddy Robinson
23rd Sep 2004, 09:06
Same scam, same crook, this time for VIP cabin crew.

Two positions were offered by the "aviation subsidiary of a Greek shipping company", allegedly Argus Shipping (who are actually a Turkish company).. but no email, no direct lines, no secretary, no PA, and no record of the subsidiary company.

The name used this time was George Sprecher.

Position to be based Rome, very well paid, apartments provided etc. on a
Citation X, the "employed" cabin crew to travel to Athens and make a deposit of 7000 euros each to open their bank accounts.

Fortunately the highly reputable agency involved insisted on sending a representative with the girls to discuss future business, and the scam collapsed.... beware !

Ps. I note there is an advert for a B737 ferry flight on a well known aviation weekly's jobs section, again through a reputable agency, the vacancy posted on Sept 21st.

Anyone with information please contact
Det. Alan Fisher Special Branch Biggin Hill

Hostie from Hell
28th Sep 2004, 18:56
Apparently a file containing at least 10 cases has been passed to the Greek authorities for action.
The authorities in the UK are hopeful that finally some results may be forthcoming.

There are possibly many people who have been affected but who are yet to come forward.
As this is an international crime, partly talking place on Greek soil, the advise is to make a formal complaint through your national police force, possibly backed up with a wrtten complaint to the Office for Commercial and Economic Affairs of the Greek Embassy in your state.

You should also notify :
National Security Authority of Attica, Directorate of fraud .

Officer Mr. Paraskevas MAVROTHALASSITIS,

Postal address:
Diefthinsi Asfalias Attikis,
Tmima Oikonomikon Egklimaton,
Leoforos Alexandras 173,
11522 Athens, Greece.

If you happen to speak the language, tel: 0030-210-6427702.

This person needs to be stopped. HFH

MBJ
3rd Oct 2004, 17:52
Glad to be of help..

make dme arrival
4th Oct 2004, 01:23
I have recently fallen victim to this scam. A recruitment company in Australia and then “George Sprecher” contacted me. I flew all the way from Australia to Norway to do a Ferry Flight in a B737 from Oslo, Norway to Melbourne, Australia. Obviously, when I arrived in Norway, there was no ferry flight as there was no aircraft.

Thankfully, I didn’t lose any money to “George” however I did come close. One of the highlights of the adventure was the recruitmenr company initially refusing to get me a ticket to fly me out of Norway, saying it was my decision to go there in the first place! Unbelievable for a ‘reputable’ recruitment agency to behave in such a way. Sure, they weren’t getting paid for the ‘ferry flight’, however I thought they would have been responsible for getting me home.

If anyone would like further info, only too pleased to help any authorities and pass on the information that I have. Please email [email protected]