PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool Private Flying Bash - Saturday 13th November

FlyingForFun
22nd Sep 2004, 13:13
Following on from the related thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1533122#post1533122):

I propose a bash in Blackpool, on the evening of Saturday 13th November.

A few points:

- This is intended as a bash, not a fly-in. This is mainly because fly-ins tend to be daytime affairs, and I will be working during the day. And anyway, it's not the best time of year for a fly-in! Having said that, of course, anyone who wants to fly in for the weekend is more than welcome, and I can advise you on local flying procedures nearer the time.

- Depending on numbers, you are welcome to crash on my floor for the night. My flat is quite small, though, so if the bash turns out to be very popular I may have to recommend some local hotels. If you prefer a few creature-comforts and would like to stay in a hotel, I will recommend somewhere nearby.

- I will provide details of trains, commercial flights and road links shortly, so not being able to find your way here will not be an excuse!

I will be working during the day (weather permitting), so I won't be able to attend any lunch-time drinking sessions. But that doesn't mean that the rest of you can't make an early start - I'll join you as soon as I finish work.

So - please post below if you are interested. Also, let me know what time you are planning on arriving on Saturday, how you are planning on getting here, and whether you'd like to book some of my floor space. I won't make any definite plans just yet, because it will depend to some extent on what time everyone is arriving and how many of us there are. But it will most likely be centred around the Air Balloon pub, which is in the grounds of Blackpool airport - they serve a good pint, and generally do good food. We may get bus/taxi back to somewhere near my flat later on in the evening.

FFF
--------------

gingernut
22nd Sep 2004, 13:32
Can I give a provisional yes ?

I won't need accomodation, and will probably be with Mrs G.

I'll confirm when numbers needed.

BRL
22nd Sep 2004, 14:11
Nah, 13th Nov' I am on at 0404, Sunday I am on at 0538.. :) The following week would be better as it will be sunny.......

AndyDRHuddleston
23rd Sep 2004, 00:44
Thats great that is!!!

I was looking forward to a pprune bash closer to home, but I've just flown out to Naples, USA last week and I'll be here for 10 months, so I'll not be there......damn.....would've loved to join you all.

.....oh well, I hope there'll be a next time.

cheerio.

ADRH

mazzy1026
23rd Sep 2004, 11:42
I will be there but will be driving - will be great to join you but a buggar staying sober :(

FeistyFlyingFox
24th Sep 2004, 14:03
Count me in! :ok:

Don't suppose you got space for me in your bijou flat have you FFF???!!!

:O

FFF v1.2

FlyingForFun
24th Sep 2004, 18:47
Ok, numbers slowly building up..... Seems like it's going to be a good one! :ok:

Ginger - provisional is fine.

Mazzy - will you be staying overnight? Don't worry about not being able to drink too much - I'll be flying at 9am the next morning so you'll be in good company!

And FFF v1.2, "bijou" - I like it! I'm sure we can make space for you. Shall I order the box of rose wine now? ;)

FFF
--------------

dublinpilot
25th Sep 2004, 13:39
If the weather plays ball, I`ll be there. Flying in from guess where?? Will need a hotel. Don`t know about pax yet.

Please be a good weather weekend!!! And here`s to hoping the donkey stays alive over the blue stuff ;)

dp

mazzy1026
26th Sep 2004, 09:34
I wont be staying over unfortunately, but I may bring the ladyfriend along (who has a nice car and may volunteer to drive) :E

Whirlybird
26th Sep 2004, 09:38
If I'm not instructing that day, I'll be along. If I am, North Wales to Tatenhill to instruct, then to Blackpool for the evening, is a bit too much of a trek. :eek:

FeistyFlyingFox
27th Sep 2004, 15:51
FFF

Nice idea about the rose wine - don't know what you are implying by ordering me a box of it though ;) , sure you have enuf room in bijou flat for your sleepovers and a box of wine?!! Should I bring straws or a syphon?!!!

FFF v1.2

FlyingForFun
29th Sep 2004, 19:59
Ok, a couple of hotel suggestions for those of you who want them:

The following two are B&Bs very close to my flat. My parents have stayed at one and said it was good, the other has pictures of aeroplanes on the wall so it must be good!

Elsinghurst Hotel: 01253 724629
Claremont Hotel: 01253 723488

If you're looking for something a bit bigger than the local B&B, try the Travel Inn at the airport - book either at http://www.travelinn.co.uk or by phone on 0870 242 8000 - further from my place, but within the airfield grounds and therefore close to where we'll be starting even if it's not close to where we'll be finishing.

And now, a request - those of you who are coming, can you please give me an idea of what time? No point me arranging something for lunchtime if no one is turning up until 6pm!

Not too late to sign up, by the way...

FFF
------------

PENNINE BOY
29th Sep 2004, 21:03
Sounds Good !!!
Count me in !!!!!

Penguina
10th Oct 2004, 19:54
:eek:

What is it with Smurph and me and Blackpool and sleep deprivation????!

OK, we've just made a rash and highly regrettable decision to catch a Ryanair flight up at 6 o'clock on the Saturday morning! Well, it was nice and cheap and it means that someone else can bl00dy well fly Smurph to Blackpool for a change! ;)

To all on the forum - we've just had a very pleasant weekend flying in to visit FFF - highly recommended. Now looking for a chance to go on the Big One, the turbulence on the way back in a little 152 just not being wild enough for us! However...

they serve a good pint

No offence, FFF, but you have no idea what you're talking about! :p They sell mass-produced lager; there's nothing for the more discerning palate. Good place in all other respects - nice food.

Six o'clock...

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :{

FlyingForFun
11th Oct 2004, 21:12
Ah well, I can't help it if I drink beer so rarely I can't tell a good pint. But the cider and the vodka are both up to scratch!

Anyway, great to see both of you at the weekend, Penguina, and glad you're making the trip back next month. :ok: Suspect that letting Ryanair do the flying this time will also cost a little less than flying yourself up? (But probably not take much less time, once you include the check-in time?)

FFF
------------

gingernut
12th Oct 2004, 10:02
yep me and the ginge will be up for a pint or 2. We will make our own accomodation arrangements when the venue is confirmed.

Penguina
12th Oct 2004, 15:27
Ryanair - significantly cheaper than Penguinair. :( But the in-flight entertainment isn't so good!

Altogether now: 'There were ten in the bed, and the little one said...'

:D

smurph
13th Oct 2004, 12:43
'...roll over, roll over!'

FeistyFlyingFox
13th Oct 2004, 16:37
Penguina

Hope you had a luverly birfday!

Look forward to seeing u n Smurph again soon.

"so they all rolled over........." ;)

:ok:

FFF v 1.2

FlyingForFun
4th Nov 2004, 15:51
Ok, so the list so far is: Gingernut
FlyingForFun
Mrs Gingernut
Mazzy1026
FeistyFlyingFox
DublinPilot (weather permitting)
Whirlybird (provisional)
Pennine Boy
Penguina
SmurphAnd possibly one or two others who aren't regulars on PPRuNe.

With just over a week to go, there's enough time for anyone else who's thinking about joining us to sign up, but not loads of time, because I'll need to book somewhere to eat by the middle of next week.

Currently, the plan is:

Lunch: If anyone is arriving early enough for lunch, I suggest meeting up in the Air Balloon, in the airport grounds, from around 11.00. Weather permitting, I will be working, so won't be there - but FeistyFlyingFox will definitely be there, most likely with Penguina and Smurph in tow since they are coming up together on the RyanAir that morning. An idea of how many will be there for lunch will be helpful, so that FeistyFlyingFox knows who to wait for.

Afternoon: There has been a suggestion that the afternoon activities should take in the delights of the Pleasure Beach, which is a short walk or an even shorter cab ride from the airport.

Evening: 7.30pm at Tiggis, St Annes - an Italian bistro-style restaurant which serves a wide range of pizzas, pastas and wines. After dinner, we will move to a nearby pub.

Night: It seems that most people are making their own accomodation plans for the night, which is fine - but if anyone wants to crash on my floor then please let me know. I don't mind, but I do need to keep a check on the numbers!

FFF
------------

Whirlybird
4th Nov 2004, 18:32
FFF,

I am VERY provisional. I'll be instructing at Tatenhill, unless the weather is bad, and unless I know that in advance. I can't take the day off, because I'm taking the next Saturday off, plus Gatbash day! However, if the wx is bad, and if I know in advance, I'll leap in the car in the morning and meet you for lunch. And if that happens, I'll need somewhere to stay, and your floor will be just fine if it's available, though if not, no matter.

So, a lot of ifs, but....we'll see.

mazzy1026
5th Nov 2004, 09:22
Sounds like a cracking day to me, thing is though, I dont know any of you or what you look like, possibly others may be the same, so whats the deal there?

:D

dublinpilot
5th Nov 2004, 10:05
Ah, don't worry. I don't know anyone either. But they're all pilots....how bad can they be? ;)

dp

FeistyFlyingFox
5th Nov 2004, 11:18
Hi Mazzy & DP and all others joining us at the Blackpool Bash......

I'm not sure how I will recognise all of you either so how about I wait outside from 11am or at least in the doorway of the Air Balloon if it is too cold, and have an A4 sheet of paper with my name on it (Elaine) and Blackpool Private Flying Bash on it?

Hope that helps, otherwise if anyone else has any ideas on how we can recognise each other (short of a rose in the mouth and meeting under the clock!!) then that will be great! :ok:

see you all on the 13th, in fact you might recognise me after all as I am on the red eye flight from stansted and may have to use matchsticks to prop my eyes open!!! ;)

thanks

FFF v1.2

Penguina
5th Nov 2004, 16:49
Mazzy:

Just look for the most beautiful people around! Ie:

:\ :8 :} := !!!

But if that doesn't do it, here's me & Smurph:

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/shared/photo.html?c_album=1006791&photo=14623507&page=3&group=

I wanted post links to Whirly, FFF and FFF V1.2, whom I'm sure I could find images of somewhere, but I'm feeling a bit intellectually feeble today.

Will return. :zzz:

FlyingForFun
5th Nov 2004, 17:40
Isn't the usual way of meeting PPRuNers to look for the rowdy bunch of people in the corner?

Alternatively, I will try to organise some swapping of mobile phone numbers nearer the time (via PM or e-mail). And if anyone really gets stuck, just pop into WestAir and ask for Dean (that's me...)

FFF
-------------

BRL
5th Nov 2004, 22:12
Easiest thing to do is buy a tin of prunes, place tin on table or bar where you are sitting, wait for people to approach you...... :ok:

long final
6th Nov 2004, 06:21
Will be working along side FFF on Saturday, so will be there for the evening.

LF

mazzy1026
6th Nov 2004, 13:55
I like the tin of prunes idea - fantastic! :D

I am gonna stick a white sticker on my jacket - I am 6ft2, dark, glasses, and well built (and dam good looking) :E Look out for me hehe

I will try my upmost to get there for 11am - I doubt I will go the whole hog as I am a poor student, but a trip to the fair sounds good!

Is the Air Balloon (or thereabouts) a cafe/bar inside the main terminal at Blackpool Airport? I will be there as near to 11 as poss!

Looking forward to it,

Lee :cool:

FlyingForFun
6th Nov 2004, 15:28
Mazzy,Is the Air Balloon (or thereabouts) a cafe/bar inside the main terminal at Blackpool Airport?No, it's not in the main terminal - it's inside the airport grounds, just outside the main terminal. Come out and look ahead and to the left, and that'll be the Air Balloon. The entrance is around the other side (facing the road).

If you're not staying for the evening, at least pop in and say Hello to me, since I probably won't be in the Air Balloon!

FFF
-------------

mazzy1026
6th Nov 2004, 22:03
FFF Cheers, will do :)

BRL
7th Nov 2004, 11:18
Pictures? PIREP? Anything???????? or are you all feeling a bit :yuk: :} :ugh:

dublinpilot
7th Nov 2004, 14:04
You'll have to wait until next weekend for the reports BRL :rolleyes: :p

Croqueteer
8th Nov 2004, 12:27
Well, I happened to be staying around the corner for the weekend, so I went to the Air Balloon between 11 and 12am Sat, but there was only about four customers, none of them ppruners!

Penguina
8th Nov 2004, 13:37
Will you be happening to be staying around the corner next weekend? You might happen upon some ppruners then! :)

Croqueteer
8th Nov 2004, 13:42
Good point, Pen, it's called old age! However, I won't be there next week.

Penguina
8th Nov 2004, 20:06
Shame. :( Maybe next time?

Feisty Foxy One:

You gonna be on the Stansted Express that, ahem, morning? Or, to put it a better way, that night?! :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

BRL
8th Nov 2004, 21:15
Oops...... :O Just realised the date for this.. :O

(I take back all I thought of you lot......)

FeistyFlyingFox
9th Nov 2004, 08:59
Hi Penguina

I was considering Stansted Express but have decided to book a cab at 4.45am, I know its a bit pricey etc but not too keen to travel on train alone so early in the morning!

See you at the aiport, FFF has given me your moby number so I'll call / text you when I am near to Stansted so we can all meet and board plane together.

PLEASE NOTE:

If any of the Ppruners who are turning up on Saturday at the Air Balloon want my mobile number in case you have trouble finding us then please send me a PM and I will PM you back with it :ok:

FFF v1.2

FlyingForFun
11th Nov 2004, 17:50
Hey there, Bashers!

Very minor change of plan - have had to move dinner forward to 7pm. Tried to make it slightly later, but couldn't because the restaurant was booked up. It just means more time in the pub afterwards!

Weather for the weekend is looking good, which is good news for Dublinpilot, but bad news for Whirlybird (see you at Gatbash, though?) Bad news for me, too, but good news for my bank manager so mustn't complain too much...

If anyone wants my phone number (especially if you're only going to be able to join us for dinner, or in the pub after dinner), please PM me. Otherwise, I'll see you all there!

FFF
--------------

FeistyFlyingFox
12th Nov 2004, 10:50
If you look out for me I am bringing a box of Homer Simpson's favourite - yep Doughnuts, and not only that they are the real Krispy Kreme's of all varieties so for those of you who want a decadent morning at the Air Balloon, how about getting yerself a drink and join us all for a D'oh- nut!!! YEY

See ya all at the Air Balloon and FFF I will see you early in the morning and let you have a KK before anyone else, promise!!!

FFF v1.2

:ok: :ok: :ok:

Whirlybird
12th Nov 2004, 11:37
FFF (both of you),

Forecast looks good, so I think I'll be giving aerial tours of Alton Towers and Blithfield Reservoir instead. My last student is at 1pm, so theoretically I could leave at 2.30, be home at 4.30, leap back in the car and drive to Blackpool. If I don't go home, I could even make it for the meal. However, I think I'll be totally knackered if I even try!

So, see you at the Gatbash. :ok:

FeistyFlyingFox
12th Nov 2004, 11:42
Hi Whirlybird

Sounds like you will be v rushed if you did try and come, oh well that is a shame you might not be able to, but not long til GatBash so we (the 2 FFF's!!) look forward to seeing you there.

I will get FFF to point you out as I haven't met most of the people that go to Gatbashes.

See you soon Whirly

FFF v1.2

;)

Penguina
12th Nov 2004, 13:54
Whirly:

Sorry we won't see you at the weekend, but the Gatbash isn't far away! Are you (or any other ppruners) going to the BWPA do this year?

FFF:

By the way, you've got a couple of takers for your floor! ie - us. And since I'm not flying in the morning, I don't need to worry about it, but I guess this doesn't apply to you... :p

See you tomorrow!

Whirlybird
12th Nov 2004, 17:32
18 hour TAFs are giving light winds and CAVOK! It'll be a shame to miss the bash, but I'm not complaining; haven't flown in really nice weather for ages.

Penguina,
I'm going to the BWPA do (ie Christmas lunch); don't know about anyone else.

ShyTorque
12th Nov 2004, 19:02
Whirly, there's a PM for you. ;)

dublinpilot
14th Nov 2004, 15:35
Guys & gals,

Home safely.

Thanks very much for a brilliant weekend. I had lots of fun, and it was really nice meeting you all. You are such nice bunch of people! :D

Hope to see you guys in Dublin next summer!

Mazzy....thanks a million for driving me around! It was really appreciated!

Pen....it was really nice meeting you; you are such a nice person. Pm me your address, and I'll send on that chart.

FFF....appologies for not getting to call in to see you at work, before I left. Weather was just acceptable for the sea crossing, and I wanted to get away asap in case that changed later.

Thanks everyone for making it such a fun weekend! I still don't understand why roller coasters are scary, having just crossed the Irish Sea with one engine!

Here's a few pics from the weekend.

From the flight to Blackpool
Windfarm near Liverpool
http://homepage.eircom.net/~dublinpilot/blackpool/Dscf0010.jpg

Liverpool
http://homepage.eircom.net/~dublinpilot/blackpool/Dscf0011.jpg

Woodvale
http://homepage.eircom.net/~dublinpilot/blackpool/Dscf0012.jpg

Blackpool
http://homepage.eircom.net/~dublinpilot/blackpool/Dscf0014.jpg

Blackpool Tower, turning final
http://homepage.eircom.net/~dublinpilot/blackpool/Dscf0015.jpg

L-R Smurf, mazzy1026, FFF v1.2, Penguina
http://homepage.eircom.net/~dublinpilot/blackpool/Dscf0016.jpg

L-R FFFv1.0 (head turned), Penguina(hiden behind camera), Mazzy1026, Smurf, FFFv1.2
http://homepage.eircom.net/~dublinpilot/blackpool/Dscf0017.jpg

L-R FFFv1.0, (sorry forgotton name :O ), Longfinal, Penguina
http://homepage.eircom.net/~dublinpilot/blackpool/Dscf0018.jpg

L-R Penguina, Smurf and FFFv1.2 having a nap!
http://homepage.eircom.net/~dublinpilot/blackpool/Dscf0019.jpg

Sorry.....no pics from the flight home:(

long final
14th Nov 2004, 18:09
Pleased you made it back with no problems DP. Will let you know next time I plan to cross the water.

Great night. Bad head day for me. Good to see everyone.

:)

LF

FlyingForFun
14th Nov 2004, 20:35
Dublinpilot - glad you are back ok, and thanks for the great pix! The name of the guy you forgot was Andy - not a PPRuNer, but a work-colleague of mine. He said he had a fantastic time, and thought you guys were a great bunch of people, and we agree!

Mazzy, nice to meet you, hope you enjoyed the donuts (have you eaten them all yet?)

Penguina+Smurph, hope you had a good trip back, speak soon and see you again at GatBash.

Gingernut and Mrs Gingernut, nice to meet both of you, even if it was only a "flying visit" - sorry neither of us really got a chance to have a chat with either of you, but hopefully you'll find a babysitter for longer next time?

Long Final and Andy, see you both at work!

Will get my pics on here some time soon (heading back to London for a few days tomorrow, so it might be a week or so). Will have to arrange another one for some time next year, unless Mazzy beats me to it and arranges one in Liverpool?

FFF + FFFv1.2
-------------------------

gingernut
15th Nov 2004, 09:08
Cheers everyone, great to meet you all even if it was a flying visit.

I'll try and get a bit more organised next time. After that second pint, I felt that I could have stayed all night, but unfortunately the gingerettes had to be sorted out.

DP glad you made it home safely, pics are magic, hopefully see you in Dublin. (But I think I may take the ferry,)

Ginge.

mazzy1026
15th Nov 2004, 09:35
Hi guys - I must say that Saturday was a fantastic day! It was truly a pleasure to meet you all and you are all a great bunch of people!

DublinPilot - not a problem at all my friend, you are very welcome. Thanks for the pics, they are awesome. Will definately see you in Dublin (when hopefully I can experience flying there myself).

FFF - great to meet you, and yes, the do(g)nuts went down a treat with everyone - thanks for them!

FFFv2 - you are bonkers! A very nice person, it was a pleasure teasing you all day (LECCY) - good to see you are moving up North (up 't'north) and hope you settle in well (you will I am sure).

Penguina/Smurf - Again, pleasure to meet you both. Pen, go easy on the red wine next time hehe.

Gingernut - how funny was that when you cam over in the restaurant! Good to see you mate and look forward to a proper drink next time when I can leave the car at home!

It was also good to see FFF's colleagues, glad you had a good time.

Hopefully see you all again soon, I will try and organise a bash in Liverpool, perhaps after the new year - what do yo think? Looking forward to seeing more pics too!

Cheers all, best wishes,

Lee (scouse mouse) :ok:

Penguina
15th Nov 2004, 14:24
:) :)

Great weekend!

dublinpilot - really enjoyed meeting you, chatting about flying to you all day and sharing some upside down moments! You confirm all my expectations of the Irish as being a nice bunch of people! :) PM on it's way and I'll definitely hove into view sometime next year. But what an awful picture of me! :eek: Still, I'm so impressed that you can turn final and take piccies (I'd like to hear mazzy say that!) at the same time that you're forgiven! ;) Glad you made it home safely (the cloudbase came right down, so you did well there).

Long Final - great meeting you too. Keep me posted about your career and hope to meet you again next time I visit that two-headed monster, FFFFFF! (That stands for triple fortissimo!) ;)

mazzy - And again! Pleasure to make your acquaintance! You might be mature for your years, but you have a range of dirty jokes equalled by none (except FFF v.12)! Cheers for the advice - the Sober Pen.

The gingernuts - you have an uncanny ability to spot a bunch of pilots, my friends! OK, OK, we were making 3 times as much noise as the rest of the joint! Hope you show up unexpectantly again many times in the future!

And finally, FFFFFF: thanks for looking after me (and Smurph) so well. Departed on runway 28 in a right 2 and 8 (sorry, had to say it!) and got home about 2330 with a very sore throat. You'll be pleased to hear that on my first day in a position of responsibility I managed to call in sick! Setting the tone for the future there, hopefully! But I'm not well enough to fly tomorrow. :( :{ Hoping for bad weather... Hope the move goes smoothly and see you at the Gatbash!

More picccchies please! :D

Gweeny

smurph
16th Nov 2004, 12:41
My photos from the Blackpool bash weekend can be found here (http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/1030350).

Great to meet you all.

FFFs - thanks for organizing and putting up with us. :ok:
--
Smurph

FlyingForFun
20th Nov 2004, 18:23
Sorry it's taken a little while... but our piccies can be found here (http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/deandashwood/album?.dir=9e6f) . Enjoy! :)

FFFFFF
-------------------

mazzy1026
24th Nov 2004, 11:14
Just had a goose at your picccheeez FFF - very good indeed, cheers :)