PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air to take CRJs

Mister Geezer
22nd Sep 2004, 12:02
I read yesterday that Gulf Air are taking a handful of CRJs for regional operations. The aircraft are all ex Duo.

Anyone know what their plans are for recruitment???

ATIS
22nd Sep 2004, 12:38
Sure CRJ's look good, but do any airlines actually make any money using them. I've been told they are ideally suited for routes that are 1.5hrs and over, anything under that and the cost for high cycles mount up.

Hence the disposal of CRJ's by Flybe and the unfortunate closure of DUO.

Having said that it could be a little cheaper than operating A330's between MUS and AUH. Been on it many times, and it is always a joy in such a large ship, but they must be flushing money down the toilet everytime they do so. I say stick with the Airbus 320's and with what you know. With a company fighting for survival introducing a new type is probably not the best course of action.
Plus I want to fly their A320's, not their CRJ's .;)

newscaster
22nd Sep 2004, 13:24
The idea has been dropped for for sure according to a press report, GF was very close to signing a deal for either the ERJ or the CRJ.

Left Coaster
22nd Sep 2004, 13:51
For interests sake would you guys mind posting a link or let us know where we could find the press release? Many thanks...
LC

Mister Geezer
22nd Sep 2004, 16:25
It was in the September edition of World Airline Fleet News... can't find a link to the article, since I suspect it is not on line.

Icarus
22nd Sep 2004, 16:27
Last weeks GDN (the Bahrain local rag) quoted a press release from GF stating the RJ issue was dead.

I should also note that their VP for OPS has a nice new model of a 7E7 in GF colours in his office after a recent presentation by Mr Boeing. Now there is a rumour!

TAF Oscar
22nd Sep 2004, 16:46
Gulf Daily News September 9, 2004

Gulf Air drops jet plan
GULF Air has scrapped plans to order around 25 regional jets from two manufacturers, at a cost of around $625 million (BD236.25m).

The airline had changed its mind due to increased competiton from new regional airlines, a top official said yesterday. It had considered acquiring the aircraft from Bombardier or Brasileira de Aeronautics as part of its expansion plans.

"We were considering acquiring the 70-seat aircraft to use on short-haul routes for the airline's expansion plan up to 2010," vice-president for finance Ahmad Al Hammadi told the GDN.

"However, the decision was first discussed in 2002, before the introduction of new airlines that offer shuttle flights such as that Sharjah-based Air Arabia and Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways."

Mr Al Hammadi said the airline told the manufacturers that it would not be going ahead with the plan to acquire the jets which he said cost approximately $25m (BD9.45m) each, because the market was saturated and it was no longer feasible.

boiler
23rd Sep 2004, 06:47
Is it just me, or is 25 RJ's seem a bit too much? Where would have GF sent them? You do not need this many planes to send them to small places like RKT, SHJ, etc...

newscaster
23rd Sep 2004, 16:17
The aircraft would have been perfect to use to new destinations in Iran and Saudi Arabia if those two allowed GF the privilage.

ironbutt57
23rd Sep 2004, 18:18
Not sure of course of the real reason for nixing the program but I can think of two of my own:

1) Customer acceptance...while RJ's are fine and dandy to those who suffered the indignity of regional travel in Metro's, I cannot see GCC customers..who find an A-320 cramped, being chuffed about an RJ

2) Why add the increased costs and logistics headaches of introducing yet another fleet, when it is feasible to just increase frequencies with say an expanded 320/319/318 fleet?

Kalium Chloride
23rd Sep 2004, 18:46
Can't believe that load of bosh about Duo is still being hawked around.

Flight International reported weeks ago that GF had dumped the RJ idea...