PDA

View Full Version : Scout operators in UK

Tony Chambers
21st Sep 2004, 11:29
I know that there is a few scouts still flying, i am looking to lease 1 for a day or 2. Does anybody have information on someone who provide me with a scout. This is to fly a large group and not for self flying.
Mant Thanx
:ok:

nc1tsunami
21st Sep 2004, 12:38
Have seen some ads for a scout in the back of Pilot Mag this year - group flying basis, but they might consider sfh?

helicopter-redeye
21st Sep 2004, 15:18
Sure as eggs is eggs, it will be on a permit to fly and so there will be a lot of restrictions on flying about 'large groups'.

I think the Gazelle permit now restricts the aircraft significantly (ie pilot and navigator) and the Scout may be the same (same CAA/ same permit).

Scout only sits four incl pilot and is slow moving.

Tony Chambers
21st Sep 2004, 15:26
i thought there would be restrictions but i looking for a scout so i can hopefully give the passengers a doors off experience. i trying to re-enact a vietnam experience (i know te scout wasnt in nam).
i can get a bell47 but lookin for another heli for some pax movements.:\

helicopter-redeye
21st Sep 2004, 15:34
I've mailed you the address of somebody who owns a Scout.

Check out the Permit restrictions before deciding through. You can fly CofA and PT types doors off and the Jet Ranger was in Vietnam.

H-R

Tony Chambers
21st Sep 2004, 15:39
thanx for reply yep i seen the jetrangers (kiowa)

Governormalfunction
21st Sep 2004, 20:15
There was a chap operating 1 out of Swansea Airport, don't know if he's still there though.
Happy hunting!!

21st Sep 2004, 20:26
Gower Jets, based at Swansea, certainly had one last year and I have no reason to suppose they disposed of it. Ring the airport for their number

magbreak
21st Sep 2004, 20:55
There was a wasp operating out of Swansea but that has been sold..

flygunz
22nd Sep 2004, 09:22
An interesting concept, re enacting a vietnam experience in a Scout:eek:
As a young and gung ho soldier I remember the excitement of hanging off the side of a Scout carrying out Eagle patrols in various unfriendly locations. After one fairly aggressive turn by the Pilot I lost my footing off the skid, slid under the rear lap strap and was only saved from a messy end by the quick thinking of my mate who grabbed my arm and pulled me back in. Had my weapon not been attached to my wrist would have lost it. After that I decided I wanted to be the Pilot and went on to get about a thousand hours on the 'Queen of the sky'

I only tell you this as a warning so if you get to fly low level, doors off with a showy PPL be insured!:ok:

The restrictions on the use of Scouts for passenger flying is one you should look into but if you do get a trip, enjoy some real aviation how it was meant to be.

Tony Chambers
22nd Sep 2004, 11:44
thanks people for the replies, all pax will be insured and they wont be doing eagle patrols, they can sit on the back seat as normal.
i know the feeling about taking a tumble during eagle patrols i also did that as a young member of 658 sqn aac.
the scout will be the last resort i have other helis in mind prefer a 212 but they hard to get hold of i can poss get a 214 or s61.
there will also be external loads .
once again thanks for the replies and comments keep em coming.

KENNYR
22nd Sep 2004, 12:58
Tony.........give Mike Green a call at Fast Helicopters on Thruxton Airfield. He does check rides and instruction on the Scout. He might be able to point you in the right direction.

Hedski
22nd Sep 2004, 14:38
Except he left in April. Now a freelance instructor/examiner. Can be seen around Redhill sometimes.
How about a 212 from Bristows!
Wop..wop..wop..wop..wop...........:ok:

Tony Chambers
22nd Sep 2004, 15:51
contacted bristows they not got thier 212 they only got the 214 available.

Spanish Waltzer
22nd Sep 2004, 20:51
If you contact the OC 660 sqn at RAF Shawbury, they have a non flying scout on semi-permanent loan from some guy who bought a bunch off the military. He has at least one in a flying condition and may be able to help you out.

CyclicRick
23rd Sep 2004, 17:03
If you want some real 'nam feeling we've got 6 huey's a 212 and a 412 all ready to go! Mind you you'll have to come over to sunny Germany!
let me know if you're interested :cool:

Rick

PS I did 4.5 hrs in a scout..nearly got the ticket!

Tony Chambers
23rd Sep 2004, 19:37
cyclicrick u got an pm, thanks for info

MPR
26th Sep 2004, 18:15
Try Military Helicopters at Thruxton 01264 772370 - they have access to a large number of Scouts as they maintain most of the UK Civil Scout fleet now.

212man
26th Sep 2004, 19:09
"so i can hopefully give the passengers a doors off experience. i trying to re-enact a vietnam experience"

But presumably without being shot at every day for a year, losing their friends left right and center, living in a s**t hole and catching nasty tropical diseases?

Sounds great; I'm sure they'll get a real feel for it...............

Zlin526
27th Sep 2004, 15:59
Tony, if you want to make it a truly authentic Vietnam experience, dont forget the LSD, man!!:E

Seriously though, I'm not sure what you plan is within the realms of a helicopter that will be operated on a Permit to Fly. Surely there will be some money changing hands, unless you intend to offer it for free, in which case I'll take the right hand seat, wear a blood stained bandana and have 2 tabs of LSD before I go hurtling down Cirencester High Street with Wagner's Ride of the valkyries playing at full blast!.....Oh sorry, forgot that you wouldnt be able to hear it above the din of the Scout..:ugh:

Wil Neverbee
29th Sep 2004, 06:51
Kennet Aviation at North Weald is also worth a try, they have scout and wasps.