View Full Version : A woman's work is never done

G-BJOP
12th Jan 2001, 04:00
Coming from the male dominated IT industry, the thought of spending 10 hours in an enclosed space with a bunch of guys isn't too intimidating, but can anybody enlighten me as to the actual male/female ratio in the average tower or en-route centre?

PPRuNe Radar
12th Jan 2001, 04:12
Probably less than 10% of ATCOs where I work are female.

Maybe a bit more on the Assistant side.

PS Why did you name yourself after an Islander ?? ;)

------------------
PPRuNe Radar
ATC Forum Moderator
[email protected]

G-BJOP
12th Jan 2001, 04:17
I used to fly on said Islander every week to and from school (I wondered when someone would be curous enough to look it up!).
The perk was when the plane was full cos you got to sit next to the pilot and wear the headphones :)

Asda
12th Jan 2001, 15:23
A quick scan of this month's rosta reveals that about 25% of the controllers/chiefs are female.

Ben Becula
12th Jan 2001, 22:34
Which island are you from then 'OP?

G-BJOP
12th Jan 2001, 22:39
Hello Ben

Moved from Luton to Eday in Orkney at age 7, to Shapinsay at 16 and my parents have since moved to South Ronaldsay. My sister lives in Lerwick in Shetland, my brother near London and I now live in the Derby area. Nice, tight-knit family.

daft fader
12th Jan 2001, 22:56
I regularly turn up at work to find that I`m the only bloke on the sector. Suits me!

form49
12th Jan 2001, 23:01
There's a watch at GLA that is virtually all female (only two males!)

The said islander is now part of the lovely green scottish ambulance service fleet.

G-BJOP
13th Jan 2001, 00:02
Thanks form49 - it's nice to know the continuing story!

Evil Jethro
13th Jan 2001, 00:30
G-BJOP

To answer your original question. At LHR the watch I am on is 50 % female and makes for an excellent working atmosphere...conteracts all the testosterone!!

Ben Becula
13th Jan 2001, 02:21
form49-G-BJOP is not painted in the 'monkey puke' air ambulance colours. It is painted in a BA World Image-'Colm' I think. G-BPCA and G-BLNW are the only two painted in SAAS colours.

Now, where did I leave my anorak......

Spoonbill
13th Jan 2001, 02:52
Ben Becula - Does Doggy John Doig still strut his stuff there?

form49
13th Jan 2001, 04:11
Ben, it's been a while since I've seen OP but I bow to your superior knowledge, I know one of them is in the BA colours and NW is most definitely green.

Just a quick link to my thread on voices. NW is curently at EGPF an the lady who flies her sounds rather nice, anybody know her and what she's like, always seems very happy and bubbly!

------------------
Turn left heading 230, close from the left, report established

Deeko01
13th Jan 2001, 04:26
Yeah she is quite nice, I fuel the aircraft whenever its called out and see her when she is on, she has been off for a while I think she may have been sick, im "Execair Delta" the pain in the ass bowser who keeps callin on the radio!!

I think she used to be a instructor at Oxford, not sure which company.

BLDV -- BA op colours
BJOP -- BA op colours
BLNJ -- BA op colours
BPCA -- Yellow SAS colours
BLNW -- Yellow SAS colours

Deeko <<< could fuel that aeroplane in my sleep done it that often!!

The Logibear engineer was telling me one will be heading down south each time it needs deep maintenance and be resprayed into the new BA colours.

10W
13th Jan 2001, 04:49
Remember 'OP' well from when they used to let me talk to the tiddlers.

G-BJOP, you can see how your namesake looks now here

http://www.airliners.net/photos/big/g/gbjop.JPG

http://www.airliners.net/photos/big/G/GBJOP_GLA.jpg

And for old times sake this is probably how you remember her ;)

http://www.airliners.net/photos/big/D/DU45.jpg

Spoonbill

John Doig is based at HIAL HQ now. I'm not sure if he still does live ATC or not.

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

HounslowHarry
13th Jan 2001, 04:51
Hey Evil

I've heard your watch at 'eathrow are actually 75% F.
They are a bunch of old women and big girl's blouses after all.

And i'm not even including the ginger one in that!!!

Echo Oscar
13th Jan 2001, 18:25
Several females at Lossiemouth. Has no-one noticed the 'Knitting Circle Shift' on the radio??

Gonzo
13th Jan 2001, 19:52
Hey, HH!

That's rich coming from you!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

And BTW, which ginger one? Last time I looked there was more than one!!!!!

And Evil, judging by the number of expletives coming from GMC1 at some point this morning, less testoserone would seem like a good thing!!!!!! :)

Gonzo

Newcastle_director
14th Jan 2001, 00:03
The PAR/TWR controller at Kinloss sounds rather fit and according to a few Nimrod pilots she is apparantly!

------------------
Andy Thompson

Evil Jethro
15th Jan 2001, 17:22
Gonzo-yeah thanks, got a bollocking for that already. Apparently a "female memeber of the watch complained"...I take back my previous comments about women improving the atmosphere!!!!

Gonzo
16th Jan 2001, 15:19
ROTFLMAO

EJ, serves you right! The trick is not to let the pressure get to you!

Gonzo

G-BJOP
24th Jan 2001, 03:05
10W - Thanks for the photos - brought back many fond memories.
As for the rest of you, I think I'm going to feel right at home in the land of ATC. You blokes are almost as red-blooded as the guys I work with now! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by G-BJOP (edited 23 January 2001).]

form49
24th Jan 2001, 04:15
G-OP,only almost, you've yet tomeet my watch at GLA. Now there's red blooded males for you

------------------
Turn left heading 230, close from the left, report established