View Full Version : Too old to be a ATCO?

ACARS
11th Jan 2001, 04:47
I'm just turning 28 in Feb. I've recently discovered how fasinating the world of ATC is. Am I too old to apply to NATS? I'm not from an aviation background, but am expecting to complete my PPL this year.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bright-Ling
11th Jan 2001, 16:39
I believe that they have taken the age limit for applications (Under 28 yrs old) away IF you have sufficient aviation experience.

Give them a call - details on other similar threads here - but plenty do it in their late 20's

Good luck

Spoonbill
11th Jan 2001, 16:48
Dont be put off by NATS. If you're really serious, telephone a number of airports and arrange an interview with the Manager ATS/SATCO, (dont go throught th personnel department). Dont be fobbed of, and when you finally get in their office, sell yourself and your asperations/assets. I would suggest that you angle for a job as an ATC assistant rather than a trainee ATCO. Be prepared to sit it out for a number fo years - many regional airports have their own in house ATCO training schemes - and you will get a chance to apply for this when the opportunity arises. You could take the initiative and expedite things by offering to pay for the aerodrome course yourself, and then they sponsor you for the approach procedural/approach radar courses, (you will be bonded for 3/4 years afterwards). Dont be complacent, the ATCAs at most regional airports work harder than the ATCOs!, (I dont know about NATS op's), and the arrival of some smart arse who thinks that they're going to breeze it to the top causes just a little friction! If you are offered an ATCA post, keep your head down and work hard. Studying the books in your own time is an enormous asset for pre course assessment/training. You may have to live the life of a Tibetan hermit for a number of years, but it'll be worth it.
You could pay for the training yourself, but this is high risk and even more pressure upon you. The courses are about £17000 each, plus accomodation, (£250 per week at SERCO College Bailbrook, Bath). Once you have joined the course, you are continually assessed, and if you fail to maintain the standard - you're out! Course fees are not refundable once the course has started. The plus side of paying your own way is that once you've done the aerodrome and approach procedural course, you can start approaching airports. When you have the approach radar rating, you are guaranteed an ATCO job somewhere - ironicly NATS will snap your hands off! But be aware that you need the approach procedural rating to work at airfields outside the TMAs/class A/B airspace.
Hope this is of some use and hasn't put you off. :)

Chilli Monster
11th Jan 2001, 18:28
Spoonbill

Speaking to the Head of UK training at Bailbrook the other day and he was saying that he doubts that they will ever take a self sponsored student UNLESS they have quite a bit of previous experience (i.e Ex Military). Doesn't see it as fair to help someone risk such a large amount of money, as they have had a few self sponsored's fall flat. I was one of the last they allowed, and that was 5 years ago.

CM

Bright-Ling
11th Jan 2001, 20:32
Maybe Serco are anticipating inheriting 1200+ or so NATS ATCO's so don't need to recruit!!

I heard that Bailbrook had been sold - is that true???

Chilli Monster
11th Jan 2001, 21:05
Bright-ling

Bailbrook will close at the end of March and the college will be re-locating to Chippenham.

I'll be getting to experience both places - should be interesting!

Bright-Ling
11th Jan 2001, 21:44
Thanks CM.

Are you an instructor there?? Is it really OK with SERCO???!!!

Chilli Monster
11th Jan 2001, 22:57
Bright

No - other side of the desk. I'm at Bailbrook doing the APP before the move. Then I come back afterwards to do my RAD.

Bright-Ling
11th Jan 2001, 23:27
At a risk of hi-jacking the thread...

...are you ex-mil as well then? Where are you going to be posted? (do you get a choice?)

x-border
12th Jan 2001, 01:58
Bright-Ling (and Chilli M)

At a risk of further hi-jaking the thread!

Are you ex-mil on the course or due to start. I'm interested in what terms you've been offered to get thru the course, and what unit/s have been intimated once you complete.

Chilli Monster
12th Jan 2001, 02:56
Ok - here's the story

Ex Mil assistant. Took redundancy 5 years ago. Paid for my own ADC course. Got offered a job (not with Serco) a month after completing the course. Spent until last Jan at an ADC only unit. Then joined Serco at a location North of the Border on the understanding that they would put me through the APP & RAD courses (I've taken the gamble once - time to risk someone elses money!). On completion I'm bonded for 3 years, but to the company, NOT my home base.

Unlike the military, where you're posted, Serco work on the basis that once you're in you can stay at a unit unless you want to move, vacancies being advertised internally. Obviously if you hold a radar rating then it's a waste going to a non-radar unit, but at the end of the day it's up to you. If you see a move you fancy you apply for it.

Hope this answers any of your questions, If you've got any others drop me a line.

CM

G-BJOP
12th Jan 2001, 03:37
In part answer to ACARS original question - I'm 28 myself and have been accepted for the first round of NATS tests.
They've raised the age limit from under 26 to under 30. I was initially rejected for my age summer last year, then approached by NATS when the age limit was raised in November. So don't let it put you off.

[This message has been edited by G-BJOP (edited 11 January 2001).]

Spodman
12th Jan 2001, 04:59
Top 3 results on my ATC course all over 35 yo. Many passed with little of their own hair. Good Luck. Work Hard.

------------------
I am not an animal, I am an ATC.

Spoonbill
12th Jan 2001, 16:45
Chilli Monster - I wasn't aware that this was now college policy, just goes to prove this is a thread of humanity somewhere in the company!
Don't take everything they say as gospel, as a fully rated ATCO you're going to be an asset to them which they will view as portable. Still 3 years bond is quite reasonable, then the choice is yours.
Best of luck with the rest of the courses, regards to Martin Thomas.
;)

Chilli Monster
12th Jan 2001, 18:45
Spoonbill

I hope they do see me as portable as I want OUT of where I am at the moment to somewhere busier, and am making moves and comments to that effect as we speak.

Will he know you as spoonbill or failing that drop me a line at the address above with your name and I'll do that - Martin was one of my Sim instructors on Aerodrome and is my course manager on this course.

CM

[This message has been edited by Chilli Monster (edited 12 January 2001).]

take5
15th Jan 2001, 23:46
Chilli,

you seem to have some knowledge of the system! I am currently an ATCO in the RN looking to join civvy street. Do SERCO, like NATS, pay a wage as they sponsor you through Bailbrook/Chippenham (I appreciate that they expect a minimum return of service)?

Thanks

Legs11
16th Jan 2001, 00:44
take5, I too have some knowldege of the system.
Roughly 4 years back I know of a gentleman who was paid by Serco through an APP course. OK he already had an validated ADC gained thru NATS and had been out of the system for a while. He was posted to the unit I was at and is now a Satco/Contract manager in the Eastern counties.
Give 'em a call, theyre always on the lookout, and may just offer you something.
Don't ask, don't get.

CM how goes it? Don't forget to establish on radials, get the dme check and then descend.

Leg it!!

Chilli Monster
16th Jan 2001, 01:37
Spoonbill

Martin remembers you and says Hi back

Take 5

As you'd be starting from scratch (on the civvy side) I don't know. I wasn't employed by anyone when I did my ADC, but am now going through as a Serco employee, so I get paid as normal while I'm here. How old are you - have you thought of NATS? If you feel that Serco might be an option though drop a line to Pete Sands at the Hook office or possibly Leo Marriot at Bailbrook (Head of UK training)

Legs

First day in the sim - forgot everything as soon as I put my headset on :) At least it'll get better. It's actually more fun (!) than I thought it would be ;)

CM

[This message has been edited by Chilli Monster (edited 15 January 2001).]

take5
16th Jan 2001, 02:55
Legs

Tahnks for the reply!

Chilli,

Thanks.. I'm 31.. have spoken to NATS.. interviews in March!.. SERCO is another option, I have applied for vacancy advertised in Flight International for Ex military controllers to work on new contracts in N. America or Europe.. Waiting for the shortlist to be drawn up. Just trying to get a feel o the civil side of things. NATS have said they will pay me as a student, IF I pass the interviews and tests!