PDA

View Full Version : American flying in Paris?

NCSteve
20th Sep 2004, 22:06
I may be in Paris, France in a few weeks on business, and am toying with the idea of doing some flying while I'm there. I recently received my U.S. private pilot license. Do any of you know what I would have to do to rent a plane there? Is my license even valid in France? What can I expect to pay to rent an Archer, C172 or similar?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers,
Steve

Flyin'Dutch'
21st Sep 2004, 16:20
Hi Steve

I see that nobody has answered your query yet.

This is how I understand it to work.

As a US visitor to France you can get a license/waiver from the DGAC (the French equivalent of the FAA) which will entitle you to fly French registered aeroplanes over there.

This route is not open for other nationals wanting to fly an F registered machine on an FAA license.

If you google 'DGAC' you should be able to find the relevant addresses. Any problems and post back or drop me a PM. Have fun over there.

Aeroplanes are typically hired out by flying clubs which are run not for profit. So prices are a bit better compared to what we pay here in England but expect to pay a bit more than you are used to in the States. If possible get yourself in a DR400 or something of that ilk. They are lovely to fly, great visibility and let's face it you can fly any ol' PA28/172 back home.

FD

NCSteve
22nd Sep 2004, 22:23
Thanks for the help FD!

I did a search for DGAC and in a round about fashion discovered that there is actually a web site devoted to helping foreigners fly in France. Just posting it here in case anyone else is interested:

Flying in France (http://flyinfrance.free.fr)

Thanks again for the info -- I'll definitely take a whirl in a DR400 if I have the chance.

Cheers,
Steve