PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Flying Club

Blinkz
20th Sep 2004, 15:34
Hey guys,
Any advice on places to do a PPL around Edinburgh? I'm about to start on the modular road to a fATPL. I've just graduated from Edinburgh uni and so if I can find somewhere to fly around here that would be better. However if it really is a better option then I could always go back home to hampshire and do all of my fATPL in the south. Would this be better then staying up north?

The clubs I've look at so far are Fife and Edinburgh flying club. Fife was ok, seemed very busy tho. They have alot of students which might be a problem. Also they fly Cessnas and I'd rather fly Pipers :=

I prefered the feel of EFC, they are really really friendly and a nice quiet club. One problem they said was that the weather is not very good and that I'd be lucky to get my PPL in less then a year, which is abit more then I was expecting. The most I'd like to spend getting a PPL is 6months. EFC is only 15min drive as opposed to 45mins to fife.

Any advice? At the moment I think I'm going to join EFC and try and do it with them, if this proves to not be possible then I'll move to a different club. Thanks for listening!

Solo Hire
20th Sep 2004, 16:37
This topic has been covered before, so it might be worth your while to do a search, but...

Do consider the benefits of doing a compacted course somewhere away from home. That way, you can choose from all the schools in the country, pick somewhere not too busy and good value for money. Go and stay there for a fortnight, and you'll get your PPL done (or at least break the back of it) so much faster (no need for refreshing etc) that it will offset the cost of staying away for two weeks.

Just a thought. Can think of several recommended schools if you're interested.

Solo.

Blinkz
20th Sep 2004, 17:10
Thanks for the reply, yeah I've done a search and read a couple of threads on it. I've visited both EFC and Fife and EFC would be my first choice. The problem is that the CFI said that the weather there could be a problem.

I don't mind the idea of doing an intensive course somewhere, although I would rather do it in the UK then abroad. Any advice would be welcome!

Aim Far
20th Sep 2004, 19:19
Maybe I'm missing something here but won't the weather in Glenrothes be the same (more or less) as in Edinburgh?

If weather is your problem, go for Edinburgh, its the one with the fancy instrument approaches. At least then your instructor might be able to fly you in and out to find better weather elsewhere.

Better still, go to the states.

stiknruda
21st Sep 2004, 07:48
I'm not going to comment on either school as I don't know either. That one club and it would seem to the one that you are leaning towards, is far closer than the other, is also quite important. It means that you may be able to get there at short notice to fly a slot that somebody else has cx'd.

The wx, as Aim Far suggested, will probably be the same at both places, but I do think a year to obtain a PPL is a rather conservative estimate.

You'd rather fly Pipers. Fine. My only advice would be to learn in the cheapest aircraft available. The CAA credit an hour in a C150 in just the same way as they count an hour in a PA28-xxx.

If as you near the end of your course you really feel the need to be able to fly something with 4 seats, then you could do the last few hours in a PA28 and then be qualified to fly both, post PPL. If the cost difference is around £10/hr - you should end up some £350 - £400 better off - this can then be used to fund your first couple of hours post PPL with mates, g/f or parents.

Do be aware that the PA28 only has one door (on the instructors side). I have very little Piper single time as I much prefer the Cessna singles, but that really is personal choice.

Stik

wbryce
21st Sep 2004, 08:23
Theres a flying club/school opened up at cumbernauld called Leading Edge Flight Training.

Im currently a student there, and its a very encouraging enviroment, I stay near Edinburgh, and I know a few of the instructors are in and around Edinburgh too, if you would like any more information from myself, id be happy to let you know more.

One problem they said was that the weather is not very good and that I'd be lucky to get my PPL in less then a year, which is abit more then I was expecting.

This was the same issue when i started my training at Glasgow, I only managed on average 2 hrs a month. So i was frustrated after 5 months, and decided to goto Leading edge where I managed to do around 25hrs from Mid July to end of August. Im currently practising for my skills test at present.

smartcol
21st Sep 2004, 08:46
There is now a choice of schools at Cumbernauld airport, but I believe www.flightacademyscotland.com is the only one to offer free landings. A potential huge saving over the course of a ppl considering what the other schools are charging for landings at Cumbernauld.

Blinkz
21st Sep 2004, 11:53
Thanks for the replies guys, all good info.

I would like to go to Pipers because they are low wing, and because I come frm a glider background I don't like the idea of a high-wing blocking my view.

I've heard bad things about cumbernauld so am not very keen on them, although I might have a look. I'm leaning towards going up to Inverness/Kinloss to do an intensive PPL course up there, perhaps doing the exams down here in Edinburgh before I go. It is MUCH cheaper and from what I've been told the weather is more stable. Anyone done this?

murphy1901
21st Sep 2004, 12:05
from what I've been told the weather is more stable.
It wasnt a flying school in the Inverness/Kinloss area that told you that by any chance, was it? :E

I wouldn't count on the weather in the North of Scotland being any better (or stable) than Central Scotland!

Blinkz
21st Sep 2004, 12:24
lol no it wasn't, I haven't actaully talked to the schools yet, just been told by some friends who have PPLs.

murphy1901
21st Sep 2004, 12:36
Glad to hear it :D

Dont rule out Cumbernauld from hearsay. There are 3 schools operating there now and its within easy travelling distance for you, so it's worth a trip to speak to each of the schools before you decide.

Good luck! :ok:

wbryce
21st Sep 2004, 12:37
Hi Blinkz

Leading Edge is a newly established FTO/Flying Club at Cumbernauld, the club operates Piper PA38 and we're looking at bringing a 4 seater pa28 archer.

One of our PA38's is kitted with full imc kit, so night and imc ratings can be done on the aircraft aswell.

Funkie
21st Sep 2004, 17:58
Blinkz,

There will be little or no difference in the weather between Edinburgh and Fife, or anywhere else in Scotland for that matter. Sounds like sales speak to me!!

EFC do most of their circuit training at Fife or Cumbernauld, so costs such as landing fees, extra flight times etc. will have to be paid for (unless this is included elsewhere).

As wbryce has said, there are a number of schools now at Cumbernauld, so go along and have a chat with all three and compare. I have some mates who instruct at Leading Edge so they get my vote. (They operate Piper Tomahawks – low winged a/c).

The time taken really depends on your application and funding, but decent weather will help.

Good luck.
:ok:

grow45
21st Sep 2004, 19:46
blinkz

Part of the issue with weather at Edinburgh (and probably Glasgow as well) is that since circuits cant be done at Edinburgh days which might be acceptable for circuit flying (with the possibility of being back on the ground in two minutes if the bad weather closes in) are written off because you cant get to Fife or Cumbernauld and back comfortably.

Take it you got my mail in reponse to the PM. Hope it was of help.

g45

Blinkz
21st Sep 2004, 22:10
Again thanks for all the info.

I'm planning on doing my PPL quickly, hopefully full-time if possible. For this reason I don't like the idea of having to travel back and forth to Fife/Cumbernauld every other day (each way will be about 45+mins). This is just the first step of my commerical training and so I don't want to spend a year or so doing it.

Fife and Cumbernauld both seem to be abit too far to go, although granted I could go stay at either of them for a month etc to try and get them done. However if I'm going to do that then I might as well goto inverness/kinloss were it is much cheaper to fly.

The only flying clubs I've been too so far are Fife and EFC. EFC were a really great bunch of guys and geuninely seemed to have my interest at heart. They weren't trying to push me to do anything etc. They said that I'd be lucky to get a PPL with them in less then a year and so I'd probably be better suited to somewhere else. This is where the travel problems come in. I live right in the centre of Edinburgh, so it takes me 20mins to just get out of the city.

deltamike02
22nd Sep 2004, 08:15
Blinkz,

As someone who is currently doing their training at Kinloss, I can thoroughly recommend you look at doing your training with Moray Flying Club.

Having looked at the schools in the Central Belt, I feel that Kinloss offers an excellent environment to train at a large and busy airfield, yet without the hold-ups and delays normally associated with a commercial airport. The staff and members there are a friendly and very helpful bunch, plus there are no landing charges either there or at Inverness as these are included. Obviously as you are aware the cost is a good bit less per hour and the availabilty of aircraft is also excellent compared to the busier clubs further south.

Moray Flying Club operates 2 x C152s, 1 x C172, 1 x PA28 & 1 x Seneca III so you have a good choice to suit your preference.

As for the weather, it can be as bad or worse up there than anywhere else, but generally you will find that it has its own 'micro-climate' and whilst the weather all around is poor it can be beautiful at Kinloss.

PM me if you would like any more info.

Cheers.

deltamike02

Blinkz
22nd Sep 2004, 18:13
After reading alot of other threads about PPLs in scotland the moray area definatly seems to popular so am edging towards my plan b, doing the exams in edinburgh and then going up north for an intensive. I can't get Morays FC website working tho :(

deltamike02
23rd Sep 2004, 07:53
Blinkz,

Try this link www.morayflyingclub.org.uk

Hope this works!

Solo Hire
24th Sep 2004, 22:07
I did my PPL intensively at Inverness two years ago, having done my exams prior to going. I would recommend Highland Flying (and I'm not one of the "in-crowd" from there!) because it's small and friendly and the planes are in good condition. You can do circuits there with very few interuptions, and if you WANT to mix it with the big stuff, just go-fly at a busy time of day!

In my fortnight, there were only two no-fly weather days, and I would very much agree with the comment about that region having a micro climate of its own... not just from that fortnight but also from numerous holidays in the area before and since.

I've said this before on pprune, but I often notice when planning trips from my home base in England that the METAR for Inveness is the only fly-able one in the whole of the UK! (Probably some subjectivity!)

Top tip... if you're gonna do the Inverness/Kinloss thing, get some local advice on the best month of the year, 'cos the weather is more settled in some months than others.

Cheers,
Solo.:ok:

Blinkz
25th Sep 2004, 13:38
I think I'm edging towards HFC. Is winter the best time to go? I'm hoping to go before xmas or early next year, but only if its means I'll get some flying done! :D

Any advice on what to do about accomadation up there? I'm guessing its going to take me about a month to do it, depending on weather etc. I'm going up to feshiebridge weekend after next to do some gliding so I will pop up to Inverness and checkout the club :)

Solo Hire
26th Sep 2004, 18:14
Blinkz,

HFC have a local deal with pub in near-by Ardersier (3mins from the airport), something like £14 per night. It's quite basic, and there's sweet FA to do in Ardersier. Also, that price doesn't include breakfast though, but the pub does restaurant-standard food in the evenings.

I can recommend numerous other options in different price brackets so e-mail if you want more gen. The traffic in Inverness can be a bit tiresome, and it's actually quite a way from the airport (usually 30 mins drive from the "guest house quarter"). Then again, there's plenty of B&B choice in the £25 per night bracket, and loads of nice restaurants if you're up for spending money on that kind of thing.

As for time of year, August to Oct appears best. No experience of Nov-Jan, but have had quite a few winter breaks to Inverness in Feb, and we've never failed to get a trip in. Best check with the locals.

Cheers,
Solo.

On the Spot
26th Sep 2004, 22:27
Have you thought about Perth ?

3 runways - so no big crosswind problems
Not much commercial traffic and reasonable landing fees so touch and goes are possible technically and financially
Choice of flying schools too

Capt_Toms
26th Sep 2004, 22:58
Kinloss only have one Runway & crosswinds can be a problem. The CFI/Manager are a team with a reputation but the planes appear well maintained. They go through FI's pretty quick.

Highland Flying at Inverness 2 runways but a/c shabby, do you like a drinK?

Perth 3 runways pretty professional but ? more expensive.
Dundee one runway but otherwise as above.

None of them are particularly busy.
If you are up at Feshie ask the local boys what they think, visit the outfits concerned.

Blinkz
26th Sep 2004, 23:18
Again perth is too far to travel and so would have to stay, and it I'm going to stay somewhere then I might as well go somewhere thats cheaper.

Capt_toms what makes u say that the a/c are shabby? they look ok from what I've seen (obv will look more then I go) and no one else has said that theres a problem with HFCs a/c.

Blinkz
30th Sep 2004, 12:53
hey, I've still not mad a decision :rolleyes:

am torn between trying to do it at EDI and going up north to do an intensive :{

I'd REALLY like to fly from EDI as I think it would be a great experience, but it might take too long :bored:

I hate big decision lol :D

wbryce
30th Sep 2004, 14:05
why dont you do something simular that I did?

I did my first 10 hours flying at Glasgow, got all the experiance at a international airport, and done alot of circuit work there too...but you soon get tired of the £17.50 per landing, on circuits the landing bills where costing more than the lesson itself.

I then went to leading edge at cumbernauld, and used one of the tomahawks that was based at Glasgow, to do the rest of my flight training, where my lookout and continuity was adapted.

So i got the best of both worlds, ATC and Lookout/Continuity.

piesupper
3rd Oct 2004, 23:29
why not try these guys at Cumbernauld-- brand new katanas apparently

http://www.flightacademyscotland.co.uk/

silverknapper
5th Oct 2004, 19:53
Agree with above.
HFC is an excellent place to learn. Landings are free, it's not busy and the training area is very close to the field. Two runways so winds never really a problem.
The airplanes are old but maintained. And at the same place as Moray.
Capt Toms seems to be always attempting to make succinct points for some reason. He seems to be well balanced - a chip on both shoulders. Bear it in mind.