View Full Version : Overcrowded skies

airgeezer
7th Jan 2001, 19:51
As reported by www.sky.com/news:- (http://www.sky.com/news:-)
N.B. sky.com is also running a poll on the subject.

The biggest air traffic operator in Britain has denied claims that Europe's skies are so overcrowded that a disaster is imminent.
A European Commission report is demanding safety measures be given "immediate priority", it was reported.

But a spokesman for the National Air Traffic Services (NATS) said: "We operate in one of the most strictly regulated air safety spaces in the world.

New radar centre

"This picture of congested skies is inaccurate as far as we are concerned. The build-up of traffic takes place on the ground because we can only ever allow how much we can handle in the air."

According to the Single European Sky report, current systems cannot cope with the demands of increased air traffic. But NATS pointed out that a new radar centre would open in Swanwick, Southampton next year, with another in Prestwick, Scotland, on the way.

The report also said there was a "chronic shortage" of controllers. Not enough staff were being replaced as they retired – causing "intense work pressure". NATS denied this, saying there were "more than enough controllers to cover our needs".

Euro watchdog

The British air safety regulator, the Civil Aviation Authority, said the rate of high-risk incidents had halved in the last 10 years, despite airways getting busier. And the number of times a pilot or controller reported safety concerns had dropped by a third.

The report, which will be officially released later this month, called for an independent Euro watchdog to be appointed and demanded that new regulations be drawn up and made compulsory across Europe by 2005.

Spoonbill
7th Jan 2001, 22:31
I might have missed your point, which is?
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

airgeezer
7th Jan 2001, 23:11
Make of it what you will

meanwhile here is the poll result as of 7/1/2000

Crowded Skies: Do you feel safe flying?
No 82.5%
Yes 17.5%

ACARS
8th Jan 2001, 00:43
And yes, who should we blaim for the 82% being scared. The media!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Jan 2001, 12:27
I just read in a tabloid paper that pilots are under pressure to land on a runway whilst the one ahead is taxiing to the terminal. Christ - it must be REALLY busy since I left Heathrow. In those days we insisted that all passengers had cleared customs before the next one landed.... Belt and braces you know...

passepartout
9th Jan 2001, 11:36
here at sleepy hollow we are landing aircraft just after the other one has departed/landed...please be patient with all of of us...when your number 8 please dont say " *OK we'll come back to 250 knots pfff,huurrrrrumppf".
You will only ensure that we play it even more by the book. (AIP,s regarding Class E Airspace?)...sometimes you can forget these rules ...when its important you cant.
Please remember ...just cos they aint on TCAS does not mean that they dont exist.
We know you hate us but believe us please...its not vindictive...its for a reason.

cossack
9th Jan 2001, 14:59
I didn't see the Sky News report. Is this what came out of the email requests some of us received requesting us to talk to Sky News about ATC?
Was it any good or just tabloid journalism designed to frighten the fare-paying public now that the railways are getting back to normal?

G:RUFF
11th Jan 2001, 23:43
The Observer did a similar article on Sunday 7th Jan regarding the problems of overcrowded skies and how ATC don't look as though they will be able to cope (we will, by the way, we always do!). The article does have a little degree of scaremongering to it but on the whole it is quite factual. I.E. the move to Swanwick will coincide with quite a few people retiring.
www.observer.co.uk (http://www.observer.co.uk)