PDA

View Full Version : Not Airway (again)?

BEXIL160
4th Mar 2001, 23:05
Dear All,

Cast your minds back to, say, XMAS 1988 and some of you will remember that morale was not particularly high at LATCC (and probably elsewhere). The management just didn't seem to listen, even after a particularly "loaded" staff survey.

That is until a certain little news letter called Not Airway was "published". The message certainly got home then, so why not have another go at underground publishing? Technology has moved on since 1988 and it wouldn't be too difficult. Are any of the original contributors still around?

At the very least it might cheer us all up a bit.

daft fader
4th Mar 2001, 23:59
They are still around, trust me.

I think, however a sequel would never have the freshness of the original edition. The opportunity surely exists on this forum to express ourselves in just such a satirical way....as you say technology has moved on.

Numpo-Nigit
5th Mar 2001, 02:39
It was a wonderful publication (although the art editor's judgement was, perhaps, a little erratic). I'm sure the material is there if anybody cares to assume the mantle.

BEXIL160
5th Mar 2001, 18:30
Agree with you both, perhaps this is the idea vehicle for Not Airway (again). At least it would save the paper shredder that got busted when ceratin management staff tried to destroy every copy they could find. (they forgot to take out the staples!!)

I've found my "original" copy and it's interesting to note that some things never change. For instance first item under "A Selection of R/T Phrases you have loved":

"Was that for us London?" or "Say again, London" or Deafening silence followed by either of the previous. This is an ever popular entry, which shows no sign of eevr falling into disuse. Usually heard at peak traffic periods, or whenever repetition of a message would be least convenient.

There are a lot more, but looking thru them 13 years on it's amazing how very little has changed. Indeed the references to LATCC as a whole still apply.

Any more, for any more?

Shazbat
6th Mar 2001, 01:10
Still got MY copy *satisfied grin*

Yeah, nothing much has changed.....except, perhaps, for the "FB"'s....they seem to have multiplied NO end !!

....mind YOU, the canteen (cuz it still IS a canteen) do seem to have found the recipe for toast !

Hurry Thru 9
6th Mar 2001, 02:29
And the "why I can't wear shorts" cartoon still amuses !

Lon More
6th Mar 2001, 18:51
Any chance of someone scanning it in and posting it in the files here?

EarlyGo
6th Mar 2001, 21:47
Bexil 160, keep 'em coming. More, more!

BEXIL160
6th Mar 2001, 22:48
Okay, One more from the file but that's it. You'll have to find a copy for the FULL unexpurgated version....

"Errrr, London, can you just confirm our routing after Brookmans Park?"... This one always occurs after you have just given the aircraft (always American, usually military) an enormous five minute spiel,and he has managed to read back a complete anagram of airways, fixes and co-ordinates, bearing NO resemblance to reality. The approved response is that, due to exhaustion on your part, confirmation of the said routin will be available on the next frequency.

This happens as much in 2001 as in 1988, indeed last week in my case.

BCNU

Hairy Growler
7th Mar 2001, 02:09
I have still got my copy of 'Not Airway' too. One of the watches in TC had a couple of goes at a similar 'morale boosting' mag, one was called 'The Emmerdale Examiner' (something to do with Stansted I think) which I have here in front of me. Very funny indeed, although it contains material more specific to their watch than to LATCC in general. I understand that the blokes who wrote it got into a bit of hot water with management and had to promise not to write any more, maybe that is why there is no 'Not Airway 2'

shack
7th Mar 2001, 13:02
I'll agree about Not Airway, but the reason that morale was low at LATTC Christmas 1988 was because my missus and I had retired three weeks before and left for sunnier climes. Now the older members can work out who we are.

s'lick
7th Mar 2001, 17:45
it would be verrrry easy to do an anonymous "online" version of Not Airway II which people could print off at their own accord. All contributions could be made through the web and no-one would ever know who put it together.

All those in favour ?

160to4
8th Mar 2001, 00:48
"The Emmerdale Examiner" was published way back in 1996.

It was a bit, well a lot, watch specific and the producers got into a little bit of trouble mainly because someone who thought he recognised himself complained about the following (watch deleted to protect the innocent)....

There is a young ? watch cross banker
Whose methods will quite often rancour
His ego's bombastic
He thinks he's fantastic
But we know he's really a w*nk*r

:)

AuthorA
8th Mar 2001, 02:49
And to think that the original was done without computers...

There are original copies still at LATCC of not airway, even signed by the authors...