PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Safe Handling Course

Gilky
19th Sep 2004, 09:49
Reading the excellent zero to forty-five PPL training thread the other day I noticed a couple of Antipodean contributors discussing a brilliant article on how to cope when things go wrong in-flight in this month's Australian Flying magazine (worth reading the thread for those posts alone).

I was in Australia a few weeks ago on business and bought a copy of the mag to while away a couple of the terminally boring hours in the terminal. A great magazine, that while lacking in style and presentation compared to UK Pilot and Flyer, more than makes up for it in content.

One of the other interesting articles covered an Oz PPL's trials and tribulations during a two day Advanced Handling Course. The course elements covered included:-

Day One

1. Procedure Turns - to improve attitude and airspeed
2. Various landings in simulated conditions including Touch and Gos without letting nosewheel touch the ground
3. Short field approach, flare, then fly along runway 2-3 feet above the ground at a couple of knots above stall speed.
4. Co-ordinated yawing of a/c along runway, again at around 3 feet in full ground effect, moving a/c left and right along full width of runway.
5. Precautionary landing on one main wheel only, simulating for example, a partial retraction of landing gear.
6. EFATO's at 80 feet, turn into a paddock and land and repeat and repeat...
7. Reducing turn radius
8. Sheep mustering!!
9. Landing off a curved approach - sounds like a precuationary circuit/landing.
10. Low level flying - 17 mile route, all below tree height, except those straight ahead, using nice techniques to spot clues for poles and wires, executed 4 times in a row!

Day Two

1. Lots of PFL's, during which the plane is actually put on the ground (lots of GA friendly neighbouring farmers with paddocks)
2. Article dropping!!
3. Approaches and landings on strips surrounded by difficult terrain and with adverse slopes, and take off again.
4. Return to the field without using control column (rudder and trim only).
5. Rounded off by a flight in Tecnam Echo and a Cessna 206

It's fairly obvious that, in our small land, some of these exercises would not be practical (or legal?). It would appear that the potential for fun flying is greater in Oz, or SA, for that matter.

But some of them would be feasible and although some of them can be done on your own, as a low hours (47), newly qualified (last week :ok: ) PPL, I wouldn't be confident enough to do them solo, but would relish this sort of training, particularly as the criticisms from my examiner in my skill test mainly related to handling. Great fun as well as building skills and confidence.

Are there any schools in the UK that offer this sort of advanced handling? We offer it to non-professional car drivers, why not Private Pilots?

FlyingForFun
19th Sep 2004, 17:54
The PFA coaching scheme offers something which I think works a bit like this. I don't have any of the documentation to hand, so I don't know the details..... I think you have to have a certain number of hours on type before you can start the course, then it includes a similar selection of difficult fields, emergency procedures, tricky ground-handling and so on. I also recall different standards (bronze, silver and gold) depending how many hours on type you have.

You do need to have access to an appropriate PFA aircraft, though. (And this is not the same as the type training which is offered for pilots new to their PFA aircraft..... it's part of the same coaching scheme, but it's a separate syllabus.)

FFF
-------------