PDA

View Full Version : Bi-Plane Over London

Gunship
18th Sep 2004, 20:34
Hi all you good people out there :D

Was sitting today at the Oval counting toes while the Windies / Bokke game was delayed due to rain :{

A Bi-plane (at quite high speed plus minus 120 maybe 150 kts) came over from the South flying to the North.

Can anyone tell me what it was ... the other guys with me said i saw double due to beer ... but I know I saw double wings :E

Thanks in advance.

PS: Your beer's are nice here on Muddy Island ;)

WHBM
18th Sep 2004, 21:01
One for a quick transfer to the Spotters forum I think.

But while I'm here I'll hazard a guess it was a de Havilland Dragon Rapide (wartime vintage) doing joy rides over London. It was the Biggin Hill airshow today and operators do these trips from there.

Or if it wasn't a sightseeing trip could have been one of the other display craft.

Also had a DC3 come over my house to the show, south in the morning, back in the evening, toodling along at about 2,000 feet. Lovely sound that made me rush out into the garden both times. Shame the weather went downhill for them in the afternoon.

Gunship
18th Sep 2004, 21:07
Thanks WHBM :thumbs:

Sorry I am no spoter of any sorts ... just knows a big jumbo from a c150 / F16 and a chopper ;)

Thanks for the info ... I knew it was not the beer ;) Not that I know what it is ... but just want to make sure !

Thanks

Gunsss attacking London (pubs) ;)

vintage ATCO
18th Sep 2004, 21:12
Classic Wings de Havilland Rapide from Duxford, I should think :ok:

WHBM
19th Sep 2004, 15:14
Not that I know what it is
It's one of these:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/658330/M/

Kolibear
20th Sep 2004, 08:45
The Classic Wings London Trip is thoroughly recommendable, Mrs K & I did it a good few years back.

The route is south from Duxford at about 2000' along the M11, past Stansted and North Weald. Turn right at London City and follow the Thames up the Houses of Parliament and Buck Palace before returning the same way. They only fly on clear calm days so the vis. is normally good, as my photos show. We also managed to get air-to-air pictures of Concorde too.