PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Garmin III pilot

cambioso
17th Sep 2004, 09:06
I need to procure a Garmin III pilot fairly quickly.
Where is the cheapest deal in the UK at the moment?
I suppose no-one has a surplus one they would like to sell?
I've tried Ebay.
Thanks guys.....

Snigs
17th Sep 2004, 11:04
Why? It's being phased out by Garmin. However, armed with that little bit of info, you could ask for a discount :E

murphy1901
17th Sep 2004, 11:24
Have a look at http://www.harrymendelssohn.com

I recently bought a Garmin196 from them.

Edit: There is at least one available on ebay too http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4668&item=5720188633&rd=1

Newark_Anagram
17th Sep 2004, 12:15
Cambioso, check your PM

Pilot16
17th Sep 2004, 23:16
I hear from Transair there is a great nation-wide shortage of all Garmin products in the UK !!

Andy_R
18th Sep 2004, 02:27
They told me exactly the same 2 days ago. They have the Pilot III in stock but no 196's.

Newark_Anagram
1st Oct 2004, 13:46
If anyone else is looking for a second hand GPS III Pilot I have one for sale. Data and power cables included. Message me if you're interested.

KCDW
1st Oct 2004, 19:45
You'll find it hard to find a real bargain on Ebay. Some go for not much less than full price, and that's without guarantee and database voucher.

I got mine for £200 on Ebay, which was a reasonable price I think. Had to buy a PC cable and database update. Also had to load up latest software update. Once all done. Very, very happy with it. Although at the moment the novelty hasn't worn off, and my eyes are not out the cockpit enough.

But be warned. If this is your first moving map GPS, you may find that the GPS in itself is not enough. If you are to maximise it's usefulness, you may find that some flight planning software such as NavBox ProPlan (c£75) will come into it's own. It goes like this:

Draw a line on the chart
Copy route and waypoints in flight planner on home PC
While you're at it download NOTAMs and MetForms 214 and 215
Enter wind details
Produce Plog
Upload to Pilot III
Go fly.

Such is my experience....