PDA

View Full Version : Airbus 320 Unpowered flight

ukeng
17th Sep 2004, 06:44
Just something i've been pondering of late. In our ground sim training (all works 'cept no movement or view out of the windscreen) we all had a go at a normal circuit and landing followed by flying with no FBW just using the stab and rudder.
Question is - do you train for this on the sim on a regular basis, how easy/hard did you find it and has there ever been a need for it on a real flight?

I have no experience flying wise other than sitting down the back enjoying a snooze or three and found the FBW less attemp extremely difficult.

No flames please i'm just curious :)

Max Angle
17th Sep 2004, 13:00
Have tried using just the stab. trim and rudder in the sim a few times and it's not easy. Flying around is OK but setting up an approach and making a landing off it on the runway is quite difficult. The airbus test pilots have done it in the real aircraft during test flying and I suspect, like most pure flying exercises, it would be easier in the aircraft than it is in the sim. Interestingly on the latest aircraft (A340 5/600) the manual back up has been deleted and was never required for certification of the orginal ones.

ukeng
17th Sep 2004, 14:51
Thanks for the answer, just about summed up all the things I was wondering about.
Nice to have as a last resort I suppose but it'd have to have gone very pear shaped to end up using it....

TopBunk
17th Sep 2004, 23:43
ukeng

My conversion course onto the 'bus suggested that flight using stab trim and rudder is only designed to be temporary, ie until you can recover direct law or better.

FlapsOne
18th Sep 2004, 19:46
TopBunk

Spot on. It allows one guy to sweat heavily for a while whilst the other plays with the CBs.

This plan will hopefully give the sweaty one more toys to play with after a while.