View Full Version : Airprox question

Sir_Fly-a-Lot
2nd Jan 2001, 19:36
Hi there,
I have a question about an Airprox. Some time ago, a had a near miss over the UK. Just recently I received a report from the UK Airprox board regarding their investigation into this incident. It faulted the controller for being distracted with an other sector under his control, and the LATCC for not calling the controller, effectively disregarding the STCA warning they received. Is it not mandatory to act on any STCA received ? In this case, over 100 people owe their lives to a TCAS RA.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Jan 2001, 21:13
I'm not sure what you mean in saying that "the LATCC for not calling the controller...? LATCC radars - at least those in TC - are equipped with conflict alert systems. If the machine thinks two aircraft are going to conflict an alert signal appears on the display. The alerts are in two phases - first when there is often considerable distance between the aircraft and second when there isn't!! The only warning which a controller receives is when the alert appears on the radar tube - nobody comes along and tells him (except after the event!); he is expected to react speedily and take action to resolve any conflict. I say "any conflict" because our system is somewhat cautious and acn throw up alerts which require no action to be taken - typically alerts appear on fast climbing aircraft because the system doesn't know the climb is going to be stopped.. I wasn't aware that LATCC had to alert other ATC agencies if a conflict was detected affecting their traffic - in any event, by the time a phone call was made, etc, the problem would have been resolved.

5milesbaby
2nd Jan 2001, 21:49
AC also have conflict alert, whereby the flight data callsigns 'flash' on the radar for the a/c concerned. It isn't mandatory to act due to the amount received, quite often those being very spurious. (ie. both a/c in level flight and have been for many miles but one maybe wavering within 200 ft of actual level.) Pilots will know if a controller has seen a 'potential' by being told to 'maintain FL*** on reaching, traffic...' or suddenly told to stop climb/descent and you then see another a/c pass 1000/2000ft away!!

2 six 4
7th Jan 2001, 01:47
Sounds like the LATCC ATCO had STCA and the aircraft were under the control of another ATC agency who did not have STCA.

How could the LATCC ATCO be faulted for not telling the other ? Did he know the other did not have STCA ? Who decided that the other unit did not need STCA ? I suppose the LATCC ATCO was just sitting watching the world go by ...... NOT !!

You need to be a bit more detailed Sir Fly to get a more reasoned response.