PDA

View Full Version : Turning radius after takeoff.

ST4G
16th Sep 2004, 09:27
I am thinking of buying a house near an airport. I have all the charts at my disposal (SIDs Stars).

I have a basic knowledge of physics and used the formula

r = Vsquared(m/s)/gtanXº

I have come out with figures of:

5º bank 210kts r = 7 nm
10º bank 210kts r = 3.6 nm
15º bank 210 kts r = 2.4 nm.

My question is:
For Low-cost flyers (easyjet etc) are these figures close enough for government work for a jet having to start a turn at 600ft? if not any exact figures that I can work with.

Sorry can't post the airport in question.

ft
16th Sep 2004, 09:56
All SIDs are subject to change. If you move in next to an airport, calculate with ending up under the approach and departure lanes and pay what you think the property is worth after taking this into consideration.

You get a cheaper property than you would elsewhere. With it, you get the noise of aircraft flying over. If you want to be certain not to have the noise, pay more somewhere else.

Me, I'd do the calculus to make sure that I end up under the aircraft. :8

Cheers,
Fred

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Sep 2004, 11:12
I don't see a wind factor in your maths. If there is an MNR laid down then the tracks might be flown reasonably accurately but if there isn't there can be a very wide variatio in radius of turn.

Human Factor
16th Sep 2004, 15:21
If we know we have to make a big turn immediately after take-off (and in a lot of cases, it's at a DME distance, not a height), we do our best to keep the speed back to keep the aeroplane somewhere close to where it should be. However, if the wind is blowing from the 'wrong' direction, you can still find yourself going a bit wide. My advice: If you don't like aircraft noise, don't live near an airport. Which brings me on to the curfew at LHR..... perhaps not. :mad:

ST4G
16th Sep 2004, 18:20
Thank you gents, but I have taken into consideration circuit size due to the wind, the prevailing wind and size and types flown from the airport.

I would still like to know some actual numbers. 737/320 type figures.

HF. It may be that I cannot live without the sound of jets, but I am no ANORAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is just the summer months when half of Britain and Germany arrive for their annual skin cancer inject. I understand that it is V busy. But let us not get distracted and go off at a tangent.

What do you have to do to get an answer here, INSULT the intelligence of the posters. Or is it that the hard working pilots are too busy on their days off::

RGDS ST4G