PDA

View Full Version : Cancel the Sid?

multi405
1st Mar 2001, 09:48
A recent conflict of understanding has led me to post.Recently we were given-climb to 6000 cancel the Sid.Does this mean
1 Maintain runway heading to 6000
2 Climb to 6000 intercept outbound track
3 Maintain last vector until 6000 then intercept track
This has happened on several occasions and i have always had to ask for clarification.Would be interested to hear informed answers?.

TinPusher
1st Mar 2001, 12:03
We no longer use the phraseology 'Cancel SID' in NZ, however I have found it good practice to reiterate the tracking when cancelling the published maintain on the SID. ie 'Continue on the SID, climb to 6000'.
In your example I suggest you fly the track as published, climbing to 6000'.
However if in doubt then ask. :)

identnospeed
1st Mar 2001, 16:03
"Cancel the SID" is ambiguous at best !

In the UK a specific climb clearance may be given while on the SID (eg. climb to alt 6000ft) this means that climb is unrestricted by any stop-off levels published on the SID. In this case you should still follow the SID route, until given another route or radar heading to fly.

cheers

INS

HarryBucket
4th Mar 2001, 23:17
at my unit, if we want an a/c to depart from the SID in any way then we give specific instrustions with relation to headings and levels. If unsure, I don't think any controller worth their salt will begrudge you asking for clarification. Better to be safe than sorry.

Must say if I were a pilot and a controller told me to cancel the SID and climb to 6000ft, I would ask if they wanted me to climb straight ahead or had any further instructions.

karrank
7th Mar 2001, 15:24
I would not cancel a SID without giving specific tracking instructions.

You are quite correct to ask for clarification, your controller is cutting corners, (not just track-shortening either).

------------------
"Station calling Centre, grow a head..."