PDA

View Full Version : What's the big deal with SERCO?

Karamba
28th Feb 2001, 15:40
You lot are so down on Serco. What's the problem? Their share price has quadrupled since 1997 and they are generally tipped as a good 'slow but steady' investment opportunity?

So its good if they run NATS right, cos you'll all get free shares?

Karamba

slurp
28th Feb 2001, 17:31
karamba...i suggest you stick to web design ..or just enjoy hang gliding ...

NudgingSteel
28th Feb 2001, 17:40
The four-man team of independent safety experts (I say again independent, so no axe to grind either way) who are advising the Government on the PPP, have threatened to resign if Serco are selected. Reason? The company's attitude to safety management apparantly isn't up to scratch.

How can anybody argue with that?

Bright-Ling
28th Feb 2001, 18:15
Question - what is wrong with SERCo?

You can answer this yourself with "What is wrong with Railtrack?"

Nice try.

darkangel
28th Feb 2001, 18:39
The 4 man "independent safety review team" was appointed by Mr. McNulty = Chairman of NATS. I'm not quite sure what this makes them independent from, particularly as one of them used to work for an airline involved in an opposing bid. SRG is an independent safety regulator, they don't seem to be making too many noises...

Karamba
28th Feb 2001, 18:43
Cheers you pessimistic lot.

I've made good money on Serco shares, amongst others. They've got some joint ventures going in Hong Kong TelCom sector that have proved very profitable.

ATM could be too.

SercoController
28th Feb 2001, 18:53
Rail Track is one of 500 contracts that serco runs. Why don't you call over to the US and talk to one of their 300 controllers moving 4.6 million aircraft operations last year alone.

Bright-Ling
28th Feb 2001, 20:05
Of course SRG are quiet.....who would want to stick their head above the parapet on this issue!

Anyway, they may not have condoned SERCo, but then they haven't supported them.

Moving 4.6 million aircraft doesn't impress me.

Working for a safety conscious company does.

SercoController
28th Feb 2001, 20:28
O operational errors. As safe as it gets. I wasn't trying to impress you I was trying to educate you.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th Feb 2001, 20:48
I think Karamba's last posting sums things up nicely - make money above all else.

God help us all.....

WebCreator
28th Feb 2001, 20:59
Karamba - hang on to your shares cos if SERCO get in, the money won't be in your pay packet any more!

SercoController
28th Feb 2001, 21:15
Web,

I really can't understand why you would say that. I guess jumping on the bandwagon instead of doing any research is easier. We all get paid for our work and our share save plan (stock options) is making us money. But I guess the bandwagon is easier for those that fear any sort of change.

Since the business is ATC if your any good you have nothing to worry about. If you are one of the many unneeded layers of management all government agencies have you need to go away anyway and let the controllers separate airplanes.

WebCreator
28th Feb 2001, 21:27
Serco, since you're all over this site currently, see my other postings based on facts gleaned from the sercoatcers yahoo website. I don't do bandwagons!

Mr Chips
28th Feb 2001, 22:09
Two supporters of SERCO - Neither backing up what they say with any facts, registered on PPRuNe within one day of each other. Spooky! Anyone belive in coincidence?

Warped Factor
28th Feb 2001, 22:56
SercoController,

300 controllers, 4.6 million movements and ZERO operational errors?

Please excuse me if I take that little statistic with a large bucket of salt :rolleyes:

WF.

Bright-Ling
28th Feb 2001, 22:58
I am amazed that they found an employee to speak well of the company.

Still, 2 out of many thousands speaks volumes.

Anyway - to answer the question "What's the big deal with Serco?"

Answer = There won't be one!!!

So long moneygrabbingprofitmakingstaffcuttingsafetystopping SERCo.

2 sheds
1st Mar 2001, 01:35
SercoClot
Are you saying that there is no equivalent to the MOR system in the States - or that the conpany suppresses incident reporting? They certainly cannot claim zero incidents in the UK - and that's with just a hatfull of small contracts.

SercoController
1st Mar 2001, 01:43
Web,

Close, but it was the Serco FCTers (FAA Contract Tower) yahoo club. I read the posts as well. But of course you overlooked the posts that ALL said Serco was doing a great job. It was mainly the Department of Labor (DOL)that they were complaining about, which is a pay issue in that the FAA dictates what payscale to use. Another sore subject was medical insurance (I don't like it either) but Serco is working on it. One of the Lady's you spoke of is a guy and he compared his pay to a facility that is a higher traffic level thatn his so bad comparison.

300 Controllers on this contract and I think I recall 47 members of that club and 15 active posters with no one saying anything derogatory agaist Serco just the program.

Warped,

Take it anyway you can.

Mr chips,

Again your point is....? I can only speak for me. Everything I have said is public knowledge and IS backed up. There seem to be MANY posts on these pages that talk about Serco from people that know nothing of Serco. You notice I am not speaking about YOUR system or who you work for because I know that I do not and have not worked for there. So I only speak of what I know, you on the other hand speak of what you think you know. I guess your right 28000 employees and two speak up close to each other WHAT ARE the odds? :) you guys crack me up.

Bright-Ling
1st Mar 2001, 02:52
SC,

You may think SERCo is tops. Good for you.

However, you have never seen NATS or its operations. We in NATS all know someone who tried SERCo and hated it!

Maybe they are treating YOU guys differently, maybe you are not aware of just how naff SERCo are, as you know no different.

Either way, if you are happy - good. But we are not so easily pleased!

Special VFR
1st Mar 2001, 03:22
Serco Controller,

Try asking Liverpool Airport what they think of Serco. Here's a clue - Serco are no longer at Liverpool Airport, geddit? :rolleyes:

SVFR

WebCreator
1st Mar 2001, 03:39
SercoBoy, I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to reply to someone that just cannot see the bigger picture - however, you are actually right on one thing...there were a tremendous number of posts in favour of SERCO...SERCO are great, SERCO are fab, etc etc but then look at the timing of the posts - ALL of them were after I'd posted from the UK asking what things under SERCO were all about....back to the coincidences agian I think. SERCOBoy, you ARE the WEAKEST link and if you are the best SERCO has to offer then I hope to God NATS doesn't go that way...apart from anything else the boys at NATS (and girls) like having a mind of their own....check the ballot...nuff said.

Karamba
1st Mar 2001, 17:57
Mr Chips, you want facts?

http://www.thisismoney.com/

Search for serco and you'll get the market highs and lows.

Click the 5yr return option on the investment chart, and what do you see? A massive rise on investments made only a couple years back. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

WebCreator
1st Mar 2001, 18:44
Karamba / Serco,

You're both missing the point entirely. I don't think anyone doubts the financial performance of SERCO in fact it is SERCO's focus on profit and shareholder return that makes it an inappropriate partner for NATS. In the real commercial world where profits count, SERCO are a great performer but in the Air Traffic world where safety counts, SERCO aren't in the frame.

slurp
1st Mar 2001, 18:47
i don t think you understand what this is about ...sure SERCO make big bucks by asset stripping companies and that is fine for the shareholders ...we at ATC do not want to be any part of this company who's only aim is to make profits...we want a safe ...non profit ATC ...where the emphasis is on safety not profits.

The Mad Controller
1st Mar 2001, 20:38
Oh dear this is all getting rather gruesome isn't it!!

There seems to be a bit a 'them and us' split forming in the ranks. Can all of us here in the UK remember that we all hold the same licences and ratings and have to comply with the same CAA SRG imposed competency levels. (CAP670 refers).

At shop floor worker levels I'm sure we all do our best to keep our industry safe and professional, whatever side of the tracks we are employed on. Ongoing battles about whether controllers at unit 'A' are better than unit 'B', or whether NATS or SERCo have better safety records do nothing for the publics image of us all, and I am sure there s more than a few 'publics' out there reading all this.

As a Serco employee I read the company 'Link' propaganda magazine before consigning it to the bin. From what I see in there the Serco employees in other countries appear to be more pro company than their UK colleagues. Perhaps those contracts are managed better than the UK ones.

As a personal statement......then no I would not like to see Serco win the NATS bid, but then again I would like it even less if an airline consortium gets it. They cannot be gamekeeper and poacher at the same time and eventually internal commercial pressure would be bound to compromise the safety systems.

The whole PPP theory is probably flawed but as it looks like we are stuck with it then I suppose Serco will have to suffice.

Beam me up Scotty