View Full Version : jOB vACANCIES

Matchstick
1st Jan 2001, 22:07
ATCO JOB VACANCY AT NORWICH!

Are you brave enough to apply? Consider the following attractive benefits:
**** rosta - there are not enough staff to have a rotating rosta, you never know what you are working more than 8 weeks in advance.
Experience the privilage of working Norwich approach radar at RAF Coltishall during the day, as well as Norwich after the Coltishall day duty.Nights are followed by a sleep day and sometimes 2 days off! (mostly less).
**** Pay - top of the scale is just over £40K.
Work with the ex RAF club - NICE!
Work with the RAF who want to be in the ex - RAF Club, but cannot handle the prospect of going through the civilian exam process - GROOOOVY!
Be part of a loss making organisation!
Live in a nice - but not the cheapest area of the country and shag sugar beet - OOH ARR!
The job is not for the faint hearted, as the person who has just been disposed of found out! Norwich aint no sleepy hollow there boy!
Look out for the bull**** advert in Flight, and apply at ye peril!

niteflite01
1st Jan 2001, 22:16
*TV announcer voice*

That was an advert on behalf of Norwich Airport Ltd.

:P

------------------
"Go around..I say again...go around"

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Jan 2001, 23:08
And I was looking forward to retiring to Norfolk and looking for somewhere to earn a bit of pocket money......

U R NumberOne
2nd Jan 2001, 14:23
Matchstick - it all depends where you currently work, personally it sounds great to me. Can I make a bulk order for application forms to leave in our rest room? :)

2 sheds
3rd Jan 2001, 02:08
Yeah - it's a bit rich from someone who can't even spell ROSTER!!

Matchstick
3rd Jan 2001, 03:19
OK 2 sheds - so I can't spell!

Spoonbill
7th Jan 2001, 00:01
Anyone who thinks that Norwich is a sleepy back water to retire to should think again.
A number have tried, a similar number have either failed to validate or left after less than a year.
It is a pretty good place to work, and whilst the salary isn't top of the scale, it certainly isn't the worst, and the ancillary benefits go some way to compensate.
One of which is that senior airport management are virtually invisible!
It would be interesting to see who applies for the post - the last advert elicited 8 responses, 3 didn't have the correct ratings, 1 had an ICAO licence only, Out of the remainder, only 2 were below 50 yrs old ( 1 of those withdrew prior to interview).
If you're under 45, have all 3 (adc/apc/apr)ratings,don't have a chip on your shoulder about what could have been, and have a sense of humour - we might let you in.
Norfolk is a pretty good place to live, with a high quality of lifestyle - but it doesn't suit everyone, (OK it doesn't have the M25 - but then again you don't have to spend 2 hours at 20mph getting to work).
See you if you dare!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

BuzzLightyear
9th Jan 2001, 05:18
UR No 1

You inciting a riot old bean? You can't just chuck application forms all over the place doncha know - people would get seriously hurt in the rush!! :)

Matchstick

A sleep day and two days off after nights? Luxury, try sleep day rest day and then back to work. Only 8 weeks notice of duties? I don't know what I am rostered for in Feb yet! Yeah we got ex RAF guys as well... Top of the scale just over 40k, nice part of the country but not cheapest, don't like the idea of the sugar beet, we got sheep up here much warmer in the winter. Small regional? Nope, so maybe you ain't as badly off as you reckon!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

------------------
To infinity and beyond

Coast
9th Jan 2001, 07:55
Only 8 weeks notice!!! Why not come to Canada and try some ****logic?!!!

passepartout
9th Jan 2001, 11:09
Has to be said Im afraid,
Heathrow think they are the be all and end all, but which Unit holds the record for number of movements in an hour??????
Reckon Norwich could beat Heathrow easily!
Try Beat this EGLL 1 Hour 340 movements reckon thats about 4 times your best....waiting for the abuse...from the non A classers

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Jan 2001, 12:27
Spoonbill - is there an age limit at Norwich? I'm 56 but valid APC/RAD and a fully operational coal-face worker for Heathrow...

Passepartout.. Depends on what sort of traffic you're shifting and NONE of us think we're special - they're all the loonies who think we think we are!! I worked at Kidlington in 1971 and our best day (about 8am-7pm) was around 1500 (I think) but there's a lot of difference between a circuit fully of Cherrytrees and a circuit full of 747s! It was like a rest cure when I went to Heathrow..

[This message has been edited by HEATHROW DIRECTOR (edited 09 January 2001).]

Spoonbill
9th Jan 2001, 15:29
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gifPasepartout: Undoubtedly there are busier places than Norwich, I certainly wouldn't compare any of the TMA airports movements rates with EGSH. However, bear in mind taht at EGSH, as with many other similar airfields, you are covering a multitude of functions (ie ADC/GMC/UHF,'watch manager' etc) all at once, even if you aren't constantly busy with aircraft you still probably have a similar work rate at times.
Heathrow Director - No there isn't an age limit, but with the greatest of respect, ( and I accept that as a mere mortal I'm not getting any younger), the older you are, the longer you've been at one place, the more difficult it is to validate at somewhere new.
:)

U R NumberOne
9th Jan 2001, 19:23
Buzz!

Sorry mate - hadn't fully considered the damaging effect a herd of rampaging ATCOs charging for an application form or copy of Flight could have. ;)

Let me be banished to the spanking room with only the Unit Training Plan to read http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Puddleglum
10th Jan 2001, 01:00
Spoonbill

Sleepy Hollow - wasn't that a Gothic horror film?

Trainees failing to validate and people leaving shortly after validation sounds very like another east coast airfield.

2 sheds
10th Jan 2001, 03:27
Passepartout

Doesn't Oxford or Biggin Hill hold the record for the hourly movement rate?

340 in an hour at Norwich? I don't wish to disbelieve you but could you explain? Ten Cessnas in the circuit perhaps, with a touch-and-go counted as two movements? A Robbo heli training, bouncing it every ten seconds? At almost six movements per minute there has to be some specific situation - and, with all due respect, probably one which controls itself rather that requiring some superhuman feat on the part of ATC. What is the current typical daily movement rate?

KAPTAIN KREMIN
10th Jan 2001, 04:28
I believe spoonbil and others who have worked at more than one location would appreciate that movements have nothing to do with complexity or workload. Normally, read high movements = traffic management system = lack of complexity and a job which could be best described as traffic processing whilst talking reeeeely fast.

Handing over chaps

The Mad Controller
10th Jan 2001, 16:38
Biggin Hill used to be manic in the 1970's, but that wasnt under licensed control. Quite often you would see in excess of 15 aircraft floating around the circuit pattern at the same time.

These days the best figure is around 600 in an 11 hour working day (weekend). The traffic mix of anything from Tiger Moths to Gulfstreams tends to slow things down a bit, along with integrating IFR approaches with VFR circuits without the aid of an ATM (DFTI).

Regards

I'm definitely getting too old for all this...

Spoonbill
10th Jan 2001, 18:19
340 movements an hour at Norwich?
Cor blimey peoples! 340 moves a day would be
busy enough thank you - but, if anyone is really daft enough to want to apply, bear in mind the ancillary tasks/niff naff and trivia, which make the working day so complete!
Perhaps 'Der Management' will not bother putting an advert in Flight after all, between us it seems we've managed to convinced most people to stay where they are.
For info, the last person not to make it was a very experienced ATCO.
Yes, a true horror story overall! ;) ;) ;)

NudgingSteel
10th Jan 2001, 18:20
Yep, 340 in one hour was the figure I've heard, a few years ago at a Scottish TMA airfield - there's the clue!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Jan 2001, 20:07
Spoonbill - I couldn't agree more about things getting harder with age. The aggro I go through for my LCE each year has to be believed... I'll probably forget Norwich.

Lastly, 340 movements an hour? Maybe in the kazi but never IFR separated!

2 sheds
11th Jan 2001, 01:54
Could someone elaborate on what sort of experience/background the last controller 'not to make it' at Norwich had?

What is the problem area - aerodrome or approach or both, the airspace (or lack of same), number of movements, co-ordination?

Until we hear a bit more information, I'm afraid I remain a bit sceptical.

Puddleglum
11th Jan 2001, 02:13
340 movements per hour = 5.67 movements per minute = 1 movement every 10.58 seconds. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

An hour's worth of circuits for the Red Arrows?

MCH2000
11th Jan 2001, 04:01
:rolleyes: Don't mock any job, airport etc.!

I haven't even passed the NATS interview-yet!
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

I would be grateful of just getting on the training scheme...let alone be bothered where I work!

Interview: 21 Feb.
(ANY TIPS/ADVICE? mail me [[email protected]])

thanx
MCH2k

[This message has been edited by MCH2000 (edited 12 January 2001).]

x-border
12th Jan 2001, 01:43
Matchstick - interesting post you started. Obviously you are one of the Norwich controllers, and I think I am pretty sure who (from your tone and comments !). I take unbridge at your comments about working with the RAF who want to be in the ex-RAF club but cannot handle the prospect of going through the civilian exam process. The fact that you got through probably means that I'll have no problems - I'll let you apologise to me the next time you see me because we know that comment is complete bull****.

Gents, Spoonbill talks a lot of sense, Norwich is not a bad place to work. Good luck to those who apply; if you're lucky they may even acknowledge your application!!

Spoonbill
12th Jan 2001, 16:58
2 - sheds: OK, this is an open forum, but I don't think that it is appropriate to openly discuss why someone didnt make at a unit, (in my humble opinion). :cool

MCH2000 - Have a look under the recent bulletin 'Too old to be an ATCO' - you might get some ideas. Best of luck. :)

Matchstick
12th Jan 2001, 17:40
X-border, I dont know who you are, but I doubt you'll see me again. Good luck with the exams!
:)

2 sheds
13th Jan 2001, 01:32
Spoonbill

I quite agree that one would have to be careful about what was said, but I think quite a few readers are wondering what the big deal is about Norwich - and how they managed 340 movements in one hour?

Come on, give us a clue - unless, of course, as Victor Meldrew would say, someone is talking b*ll*cks.

Aluminium Importer
13th Jan 2001, 02:42
340 Baggage Trolley movements?

Spoonbill
13th Jan 2001, 02:45
2 - Sheds and ALL - It seems someones got the wrong idea with this 340 movements per hour business! I cannot recall having 340 movements a day at EGSH (natural or otherwise), never mind per hour!
Anyway, sorry to have mislead you, (if I did), but as someone said earlier - the workload is all relative depending on other duties.
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

HounslowHarry
13th Jan 2001, 05:00
I know we are off the thread a little here but.....talking of numbers, size etc

size is not important, but quality is;

It's not what you have got, it's what you do with it that counts.........

340 movements an hour, mmmmmmmmm

fweeeeep
13th Mar 2001, 10:10
No Chaps, you misunderstood, there was an Airbus 340 in the circuit for an hour once.

The have had 340 movements in the circuit for an hour a couple of times ???

Wheelybin
17th Mar 2001, 08:43
The 340 movements in one hour if I recall correctley was achieved at EGPH in the early 90,s.
It was made up of IFR traffic on runway 25 which was higher than normal due to the British Open taking place down the road,Vfr arrivals/deps from 13/31 ,together with military traffic doing oval circuits and civil traffic doing square circuits on runway 26 .There was also a large number of helicopter movements due to the afore-mentioned golf.
As the airfield is in class D airspace all aircraft were under positive control and required clearances (whether they all got them is another question!).
The Tower controller involved (who visibly shakes at the memory) actually believes there was more as he is sure he must have missed some of the circuiters movements on the strips.

monkey boy
17th Mar 2001, 21:57
On the subject of Job vacancies, if a little detached from this topic:

When you nest see an edition of Flight, cut one of the adverts out of the back, it doesn't matter what it is, a Friendship for lease or whatever. This will have the effect of making people think that they've missed a vacancy and they'll rush about trying to lay their hands on another copy.

This wheeze works particularly well at the college where everyone traipses over to the terminal to find outwhere the work is.