PDA

View Full Version : Who would you choose?

nooluv
14th Sep 2004, 21:20
If in a desperate situation e.g. PF incapacitated due to"highjack,
heart attack, bird strike, whatever". You are unable to fly the aircraft alone due to injuries & assuming there are no other pilots onboard.
Would you ask a member of the cabin crew "with no flight deck experience, but obviously trained in emergency situations" to help you to land the aircraft? Or if available would you enrol the help of a passenger with simulator flying experience? i.e. "MSFS2k2" with knowledge of flight terminology VORs, DME, MSA, QNH, GPS etc?
Plus I was also wondering. How many cabin crew actually learn
how to use a flight sim to improve there awareness of how the aircraft they work on operates?

JackOffallTrades
14th Sep 2004, 22:50
I would ask a cabin attendant to assist the poor incapacitated pilot, while I flew the aircraft to the nearest suitable airfield. I would declare a pan or a mayday. I would certainly not involve any passenger, nor would I ask any cabin attendant to "fly" the aircraft unless I thought that I was about to die. If I were injured I would attempt an autoland if possible.

This is practised in the sim frequently. A one pilot show is certainly not the end of the world, it is abnormal in an airliner, hence the pan (or mayday) call.:ok: