PDA

View Full Version : Forthcoming Light Aircraft Accident ...

distaff_beancounter
14th Sep 2004, 20:06
The next one is scheduled for 9.00 pm Sunday 19th September. (BBC One)

Seems to be about a pilot flying at night while under the influence of drugs.

360BakTrak
14th Sep 2004, 20:38
Pardon my ignorance but.........you what?!:confused:

Practice Auto 3,2,1
14th Sep 2004, 21:17
Im guessing Distaff means this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcone/listings/index.shtml?service_id=4223&day=sunday)

distaff_beancounter
14th Sep 2004, 21:25
Practice Auto --- Right in one.

Its Silent Witness on BBC One.

I saw the trailer earlier this evening. I could not recognise the aircraft type from the wreck! But it seems that it it is a helicopter & not a fixed-wing.

BBC TV obviously has an obsession with GA at the moment, having killed off a leading character in Casualty in a crash just a few weeks ago.

Orange Arm Waver
15th Sep 2004, 07:18
Being a sad anorack that I am...

Did you notice the reg on the Rockwell on Casualty belonged to a PA.28 that went missing over the North Sea?

Also I thought considering what happened at Hurn that day the broadcasting of the crash episode was in poor taste especially as there was a fire involved too...

OAW

surely not
15th Sep 2004, 08:28
There are a multitude of car accidents, house fires etc every day, are you suggesting that programmes shouldn't be shown that contain such scenes?

Of course we all offer condolences to the relatives and friends, but please lets keep things in proportion here. The Casualty episode was well trailed in advance so I am sure that even if the family and friends felt like watching TV (which I doubt) they could easily have avoided it.

Orange Arm Waver
16th Sep 2004, 07:01
surely not

Very true - I only made the comment as they (the broadcasting companies) have been known in the past to have delayed the odd episode of programmes due to sensitivities...

As you say people are killed every minute of the day. And in much worse circumstances...

distaff_beancounter
Saw the trailer last night for the first time and I'd say it was an ex-mil Gazelle they were using.

OAW

distaff_beancounter
16th Sep 2004, 07:49
Orange Arm Waver -- Thanks for that info. Being a woman, I was never into aircraft spotting as a child. I still only recognise an aircraft, if it is of a type that I have flown, or at least flown in.

So, at airfields, when ATC says "park next to the @#13TQ", I am usually sitting there like a lemon on the taxyway, until he tells me "it is the large red bi-plane" :O

Penguina
16th Sep 2004, 10:31
So, at airfields, when ATC says "park next to the @#13TQ", I am usually sitting there like a lemon on the taxyway, until he tells me "it is the large red bi-plane"

Me too; try as I might to better myself, my non-flying boyfriend can still recognise more types than I can, but I'm never embarrassed. Sign of not having skipped your adolescence in my opinion. ;)

tmmorris
16th Sep 2004, 10:40
Me too - it's not just female pilots. People are either plane-spotters, pilots, or both - plenty are both, just not me. But it does seem to be assumed that just because I fly a PA28, I can recognise any of 1000's of other types instantly...

Tim

LowNSlow
16th Sep 2004, 11:04
You're not alone, ask a certain fling wing pilot of our mutual aquaintance what a B-17 is ;) ;) ;)

BRL
16th Sep 2004, 12:09
Shoreham Tower...... "G-XX, park next to the beech......"

Ok, so now I am looking out for the nearest tree......... :O

surely not
16th Sep 2004, 12:31
or they think you're a floatplane BRL :D

englishal
16th Sep 2004, 12:55
Me neither, I can never tell what plane is what.....apart from a C5, (call sign "Slam 21" ......which seemed very apt at the time...... which was coming straight towards me once, and not very far way reporting "negative contact on that cessna".....:ooh: )