PDA

View Full Version : Callsign Confusion.........

topunicyclist
31st Oct 2001, 18:27
Just wondering if anyone else has some thoughts/advice etc....

I was flying recently. Whilst still on the field (busy GA airfield, multiple runways), I was given a taxi instruction, which it turned out later was clearly intended for another aircraft with a similar callsign. Surprised to be given the instruction, I read back, clearly giving my own callsign and complied. The instruction was to cross not one but two active runways. To confuse matters further, it was a fairly windy day and I was at the time on a taxiway near to the helicopter landing area. The word 'expedite' was also a part of the instruction, so I knew that whatever I was supposed to do, I was supposed to do it quickly! My thoughts were that a helicopter was probably having difficulty landing behind me (i.e. out of my field of vision) and that I needed to be out of the way asap to prevent a collision.

After crossing the first of two active runways, the ATCO kindly informed me that I had crossed the runway (I was well aware of that as I had taken a very good look up the runway to ensure it was clear prior to crossing). The ATCO then informed me to hold position, so that I didn't cross the second active runway. Then the aircraft which has just landed on the second active runway asks for taxi instructions (which were, incidentally, the instructions which were given to me) and is given the same instructions as I was given moments before.

As far as I am aware, I'm not entirely sure the ATCO realised exactly what had happened. I have experienced "callsign confusion" before (being given taxi instructions whilst in the circuit), but that had no obvious safety implication (just a bit amusing that's all!). Now that I have experienced "callsign confusion" where there was a very real safety issue, it's something that slightly concerns me.

Whilst not wishing to apportion blame for what happened (I am aware that pilots do not always comply with instructions properly or get the necessary clearances), I would be interested to hear of similar incidents to that which I've described above and, more importantly, what can be done to prevent similar occurences again.

Thanks in advance!

spekesoftly
31st Oct 2001, 20:16
A very thought provoking experience.

I've no wish to pass judgement on those involved, but if at any time an instruction doesn't 'feel' right, especially regarding an active runway, please seek confirmation. Listening to read backs, and instructions, does require a very conscious effort.

Sometimes, with similar call signs, it can help if ATCOs and Pilots emphasise that part of the call sign that is different - "GA YANKEE BO".

Suggest a phone call to the ATC unit, asap after the event, might also have been useful. With the right attitude from both parties, it can be constructive, and at least clarify in everyone's mind, just what exactly happened. :)

[ 31 October 2001: Message edited by: spekesoftly ]

Hooligan Bill
31st Oct 2001, 20:17
Callsign confusion, particuarly with similar registration is something that is included early on in training as part of practical exercises. In the end it is down to the human to spot them. In the heat of battle it is possible to miss them, even if they are glaringly obvious.

I would suggest that in a similar situation if ATC have not spotted it, but you have, that you make it known to them. In the end we all have a part to play in ensuring safe operations.

topunicyclist
31st Oct 2001, 21:32
good point about querying the instruction - but the word expedite made me think there was some kind of urgency - I guess I should have phoned ATC on my return (but was slightly apprehensive of the response), I'll mention it on my next visit to the tower.....

GroundBound
1st Nov 2001, 11:15
This should be reported to Safety Regulation - not to get anyone into trouble - that's not the idea. However, runway incursions are a big problem at the moment and are being actively investigated. All experience leading to such a problem should be gathered. Callsign confusion, causing unpredicted runway incursion may be a vital factor.
Reporting this does not lead to people being blamed, or to a criticsm of "whingeing" but helps to improve safety and avoid such incidents happening again.
Call up the Safety Regulation people and ask then what to do - really. Do it!

Signed - your friendly Safety Regulator

ive348
1st Nov 2001, 12:23
sometimes company to blame! expect confusion when planning xyz77W and xyz77R at the same moment. Seems klm and sab are good at this

Spoonbill
1st Nov 2001, 14:53
Topuni - Don't be afraid to query the instruction, we're as likely to make errors as pilots when it's busy. It appears that this was atco error and although no one is perfect, there is specific unit training for atcos when simultaneous runway operations are in use and the individual concerned should have been aware of the possibility of unintentional runway incursions.
I agree that a call to atc when you has landed would have been more appropriate, don't leave it until the next time you visit the tower - some of us have short memories :D
With respect to GroundBound, it would not be appropriate to report the matter to the Safety Regulation Group unless you felt that you were unable to resolve the matter by talking to the atco concerned, and if appropriate, (if you think it's a procedure that needs changing), the airport authority.