PDA

View Full Version : Flying Careers In The Military Other Than Pilot

P51 mustang
14th Sep 2004, 12:12
Could anyone advise me on a flying career in the armed services other than that of a pilot, as I'm short sighted. I was considering that of an observer with the Navy, as they have a long prestegious history. But, what about the RAF is it true that in some years to come navigators will no longer be required and they will all be out of jobs?
I've already had a look at both websites, and would rather prefer advice from someone with first hand knowledge, rather than a recruitment officer with targets.
I'm at university studying aerospace engineering, and concerned that I'll soon be too old as I'm 22yrs at the moment.
Any post will be greatly appreciated.

BigGrecian
14th Sep 2004, 12:30
The role of the Weapons Systems Officer (known as Navigator) is unfortunately a diminishing branch, in the traditional sense. There are still roles available on the GR4, (doubt F3 by the time you start training), VC10, E3D, C130K, and Nimrod MR2 (4 if we're lucky). In the future however, Navs are going to find themselves in more of a mission managment role be it on the Sentinal, E3D or even UAVs, rumour has it the Fighter Control world as well.

Alternatively there is the Non Commissioned Aircew role as Weapon Systems Operators (used to be AEop, AirEng etc etc / Air Load Master) but you wouldn't be commissioned. Can't speak for what the job satisfaction is like however, but they seem to enjoy it.

You would be well advised to ask OASC Medical section whether your eye sight would be good enough for Nav. The use of corrective lenses is allowed, but only once you have passed the initial medical.

If you want any more help just post it there's a world of Navs who read this who I'm sure will be more than happy to help.

airborne_artist
14th Sep 2004, 12:36
This is from another thread on PPrune:

Outline Guidance on Medical Standards required for Officer Entry into the RN, RM & QARNNS

For aircrew, standard 1 visual acuity is required along with colour perception 1.

Standard 1 is:

to be achieved with correcting lenses:

Right eye 6/6 N5
E 1
E 1
Left eye 6/6 N5

to be achieved without correcting lenses:

Right eye 6/12 N5
E3
E3
Left eye 6/12 N5

Refraction limit

Right Eye

Total
Hypermetropia +3.00 sphere
Astigmatism +1.25 cyl
Myopia (in any meridian) -0.75 sphere or cyl

Left Eye

Total
Hypermetropia +3.00 sphere
Astigmatism +1.25 cyl
Myopia (in any meridian) -0.75 sphere or cyl

Your local optician will understand it.

Colour Perception Standard 1 : The correct recognition of coloured lights shown through the small apertures on the Martin Lantern at 6 metres distance.

Cat5 in the Hat
14th Sep 2004, 15:52
Blimey!

My left is 6/5
right is 6/9 (last year was 6/12).

Makes for interesting viewing without correction!