View Full Version : ATC future

MVB
29th Dec 2000, 15:11
Does anybody would imagine aircraft without cabin crew?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Dec 2000, 21:08
I'm not too sure but I think this is asking about the future of ATCOs...?? All I would say is that over ten years ago whilst I was sitting peacefully on GMP (121.7) at Heathrow a wise looking young lady working for some bizarre department of my employer came and sat with me (usual animal attraction I 'spose). When I politely asked what she was at she said quite bluntly: "Working on replacing ATCOs with micro chips". She actually meant it. I told her in no uncertain times that she'd be better off programming a computer to sort our our early goes...!

ATC Watcher
30th Dec 2000, 00:26
Aircraft without cabin crew already flying around : <19 seaters in the US, and some CIS States for flights less than 1 hour.(you get a briefing on how to open the emergency doors in case emergency )

Now if you meant without ATC : everyone tried. the FAA with the MITRE Corp Area3 in the late 80s, and in Eurocontrol(Bretigny) with Mr Maignan wondermachine around the same period. Both failed miserably because they could not increase capacity. The final thing is : you can only automate the rules, and only human can bend rules.
It is a fact that is far easier to automate flight than ATC.
So if you like to plan the future , then I can safely bet with you that there will be pilotless aircraft before there is fully automatic ATC.

MVB
8th Jan 2001, 15:36
What I was really thinking about , was that an aircraft is without cabin crew but ATCO is providing all instructions to aircraft using , for instance "mode S" transponder or any other tool to contact with aircraft.( In my opinion this is what Airbus is going to do in the future ).

LoLevel
9th Jan 2001, 16:38
I imagine this new Person Free Atc system will rely on the same boffins who have given me the worlds leading technology that I use every day.....

1. It screams at me 2 aircraft are going to hit each other...but only AFTER they have passed.

2. It will automatically tell me within +/- 30 seconds the exact time the aircraft will touch down during my 2 minute sequence allowing for TAS, forecast winds, historical performance data profiles, track miles of the STARS......and is accurate to +/- 5 minutes.

3. It only needs the information given to it once...or twice...or just once more please, thank you.

4. It knows sooooo much more than the controller or pilot that if you put the wrong information in, it wont accept it, no matter HOW RIGHT you think you are...if you persist it spits the dummy and closes down.

5. When a jet at FL370 has not commenced it's descent by 100 miles to run it screams at me..... a hundred miles to early unfortunately.

I think my jobs safe for my lifetime from the cyber-onslaught.

------------------
[email protected]
"The views expressed here are a personal rant and rave and in no way reflect the views of my employer/s, not even by coincidence I should imagine "