PDA

View Full Version : "Keep speed up until runway vacated"

Paddington*
25th Oct 2001, 00:46
Hello! This is something I hear requested from ATC Officers quite frequently.

Fine at an airport with high speed turn-offs, but tricky otherwise; if it's a 90 degree turn then I'd want to be down to a safe 10kts or less before turning and would decelerate accordingly.

I'd never intentionally slow down TOO early, therefore such a request seems to make no obvious difference.

:)

callyoushortly
25th Oct 2001, 13:21
Paddington,

From a personal point of view, I only use the phrase when talking to prop aircraft. Quite often they land and stop, and when you're pushing the gap a bit, you really don't want them sitting in the middle of the runway dawdling along.

If we're talking jets, most of them don't seem to slow on the runway too much, in fact, it'd be nice if some of you used the brakes a little more just to make the turn-off ;)

Hooligan Bill
25th Oct 2001, 14:29
Paddington*,

Generally it means 'keep your speed up' until the point you need to slow and make the turn. The runway I work with has a high speed turn off that is fine for turbo-props, but is only much use to most jets when there is a favourable headwind. In most cases crews will try to make this turn off, but just fail, resulting in a taxi along the remaining third of the runway. If there is someone up your chuff, I want you to cover that remaining distance in the fastest, but safest time. If you are at or making the turn then I can issue a 'land after' to the following aircraft. If you are still only 3/4 of the way down doing 5 knots, then I might have to consider a go-around.

NudgingSteel
25th Oct 2001, 15:33
Basically it means "do your best"! Although YOU might not slow down too early, there are occasionally crews who do (for whatever reason). As callyoushortly points out, if you're trying to squeeze one away in a tightish gap, it's a bit disheartening to see the previous lander slow to a walking pace with 500yards to go to the turnoff, and the next inbound approaching 2 miles.....

Paddington*
29th Oct 2001, 14:28
OK. Thanks for your comments.